Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Basset is close but Mulligan just is a whole other level

As mean-spirited as I think it is to affix such a label to guys who were good enough to make it to the elite level, I haven't seen a player as genuinely bad as Mulligan don the tricolours in my time.

As mean-spirited as I think it is to affix such a label to guys who were good enough to make it to the elite level, I haven't seen a player as genuinely bad as Mulligan don the tricolours in my time.
Yeah the whole discussion is pretty mean. I'm outta this thread. Guys like Curley and Birss were at least servicable and nowhere near our worst - Birssy just about lost an eye putting his body on the line for us. Curley had his career shortened because the AFL pricks decided to make an example of him for accidentally bumping a maggit. Even our 'worst' players had courage in representing our club.

Anyone who says anything other than Brennan Stack never saw him play.

Has anyone mentioned or remember Paul Gow? Just remember him coming from intestate as a gun KPF. And not much after that.

Has anyone mentioned or remember Paul Gow? Just remember him coming from intestate as a gun KPF. And not much after that.

Gow was never rated as a "gun". We drafted him as a potential full back (not forward), from WA where he played in a flag with someone. He played a few (7?) games for us, then went back to Eagles, not sure that he ever played a senior game for them. Also not the worst player to ever don our jumper.

I will say that although he might not have been great, mulligan could kick better than me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd Curley, Bassett, Shane Birss

Heavily disagree.

Curley was more than handy but when he hit that umpire he just faded in to insignificance. I have zero idea but from outside looking in I'd say there was a mental issue. Either with self confidence or something similar. Could play though and he did notch over 100 games and many ways finished his career almost in his peak which is why I unfairly speculate.

And Birss played 70 games of AFL and kicked 30 goals from the midfield. Hardly the worst player ever. Will have a better career than many players on our or any AFL list right now. And he did suffer from depression publicly. Strange to think he's only 31 years old now. Hats off to Birss for making the most of his career.

Even Basset played in a couple of finals games and was on the list for 5-6 years. Handy back up defender but I agree you wouldn't want him holding down a KP spot over a long period.

The 3 players you mentioned would have walked in our lineup for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Anyone who says anything other than Brennan Stack never saw him play.
I watched a lot of Brennan Stack play mainly in the Willy team as in those
days it was almost impossible to make the senior team for more than one
game in a row.Brennan was never taught first give, played forward and
then sent back as was the norm in the Eade years. Kicked four in the
seniors then dropped kicked seven in a WAFL game last year. This is a
crap thread and i think a little less of myself for posting.

I watched a lot of Brennan Stack play mainly in the Willy team as in those
days it was almost impossible to make the senior team for more than one
game in a row.Brennan was never taught first give, played forward and
then sent back as was the norm in the Eade years. Kicked four in the
seniors then dropped kicked seven in a WAFL game last year. This is a
crap thread and i think a little less of myself for posting.

He played senior footy in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

In 2010, he played seven games in succession.

In 2011 he played 10 of 22 games.

You're wrong. He was just a garbage footballer at AFL level.

He played senior footy in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

In 2010, he played seven games in succession.

In 2011 he played 10 of 22 games.

You're wrong. He was just a garbage footballer at AFL level.
Try to find one quote in my post where i said he was a good AFL standard
player, hard to do because there isn't one. In that period we could not
have developed an instant photo.

Try to find one quote in my post where i said he was a good AFL standard
player, hard to do because there isn't one. In that period we could not
have developed an instant photo.

You were intimating that he never played consecutive games which stunted his development.

I countered with the fact that of his AFL games, a significant amount of them were played consecutively.

He was given the opportunity to demonstrate he had the ability at the next level up, which he did not.

Mark Austin aside - I can't recall another player who has infuriated me as much as Stack did. Deer in the headlights kind of stuff.

You were intimating that he never played consecutive games which stunted his development.

I countered with the fact that of his AFL games, a significant amount of them were played consecutively.

He was given the opportunity to demonstrate he had the ability at the next level up, which he did not.

Mark Austin aside - I can't recall another player who has infuriated me as much as Stack did. Deer in the headlights kind of stuff.
Brennan Stack 26/5/88 Drafted pick #45 2006 draft
2009-2011 played 21 games kicked 17 goals
2009 indigenous all stars 1 game
aged 26 still plays for perth in the WAFL.
Worst ever player= Crap!

Brennan Stack 26/5/88 Drafted pick #45 2006 draft
2009-2011 played 21 games kicked 17 goals
2009 indigenous all stars 1 game
aged 26 still plays for perth in the WAFL.
Worst ever player= Crap!

I'm not sure what his WAFL career has to do with anything...

Matt Panos is a SANFL star yet couldn't crack a senior game.

I am telling you who I believe to have been the most atrocious player I've seen play senior footy for the Dogs is.

Simple as that.

I'm not sure what his WAFL career has to do with anything...

Matt Panos is a SANFL star yet couldn't crack a senior game.

I am telling you who I believe to have been the most atrocious player I've seen play senior footy for the Dogs is.

Simple as that.
You are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine, just ask yourself how many
players in our history didn't play 21 games and kick 17 goals. Maybe even
look at the current list and ask how many of them will achieve even his
games figure let alone the goals. I never posted his WAFL stats all i said is
he is 26 and is still playing. Brennan must have stole your car or something.

Steven Koops?.. Kieran Mcguiness? Tim Walsh?
Heavily disagree.

Curley was more than handy but when he hit that umpire he just faded in to insignificance. I have zero idea but from outside looking in I'd say there was a mental issue. Either with self confidence or something similar. Could play though and he did notch over 100 games and many ways finished his career almost in his peak which is why I unfairly speculate.

And Birss played 70 games of AFL and kicked 30 goals from the midfield. Hardly the worst player ever. Will have a better career than many players on our or any AFL list right now. And he did suffer from depression publicly. Strange to think he's only 31 years old now. Hats off to Birss for making the most of his career.

Even Basset played in a couple of finals games and was on the list for 5-6 years. Handy back up defender but I agree you wouldn't want him holding down a KP spot over a long period.

The 3 players you mentioned would have walked in our lineup for the past 3 years.

Steven Koops?.. Kieran Mcguiness? Tim Walsh?

Tim Walsh is a fair one. Never looked like making it even on the rare occasion that he wasn't injured.

Koops was terrible for the Dogs but he was aright at Freo but I'm happy for him to be lumped in the worst Bulldogs to play a game.

I didn't think Mcguiness was that bad, kicked 4 on a debut from memory and played some handy games along the way. Went back to the SANFL and won a club B&F and captained a flag too I think. Wasn't the worst bulldog ever but never did make it.

What about Malcolm Lynch? 2 senior games 12 touches in total for zero goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back