Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Certainly won't get shot down. Watson has to go. He hasn't scored well in ages.

It is the problem we have had for the last few years. I agree that Watson should go but who replaces him? No3 is a real issue atm. Maybe there is another late bloomer like Michael Hussey around the traps?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It is the problem we have had for the last few years. I agree that Watson should go but who replaces him? No3 is a real issue atm. Maybe there is another late bloomer like Michael Hussey around the traps?

Agreed. A year or two ago, Ricky Ponting expressed genuine concern for passing of the art of Test batting and I must say I agree with him. Shaun Marsh's dismissal today is symptomatic of the mind set of the average batsmen these days torn between Test cricket and the truncated forms of the game.

In a T20 match, with an entirely different field, the ball was there to be scored from. In Test cricket, it was a ball that should be left alone. I think a lot of young batsmen are struggling with this as batting is basically doing what comes naturally to you in a split second. Test bowlers no longer need the McGrath like discipline to draw players into false strokes, they bowl as many different balls in order for a batsman to find 6 ways an over to get himself out ... and it works a lot of the time.

A lot of the stuff that dismisses batsmen in today's Test cricket would never have got batsmen out years ago. We applaud the fact that Test batsmen move the score along at 4 runs an over these days ... but is it REALLY good batting, or just good entertainment? I would hate to see the day when the reverse sweep becomes a legitimate way of scoring Test runs.

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
Yeah really hard to find a good #3. I think Smith could be a good fit for first drop.

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
Agree. He doesn't lunge onto the front foot so much against the moving ball, today he sat back and punched it through covers.

Quite frankly reckon he is the best candidate for 3.
With Smith at three, we still would need someone to play at second drop

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Smith is in excellent form at the moment and could probably bat anywhere and still score runs. When you're seeing the ball like he is right now, you're pretty much unstoppable.

He is not a natural top order batsman though. He still plays too far away from his body, and his natural strength is against spin and the old ball.

Four is about as high as I'd like to see him play, and I wouldn't mind seeing him drop back to five if we can develop some good upper order players.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Smith is in excellent form at the moment and could probably bat anywhere and still score runs. When you're seeing the ball like he is right now, you're pretty much unstoppable.

He is not a natural top order batsman though. He still plays too far away from his body, and his natural strength is against spin and the old ball.

Four is about as high as I'd like to see him play, and I wouldn't mind seeing him drop back to five if we can develop some good upper order players.

Spot on.... Couldn't have been said any better

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

I agree, I think Steve Smith is better suited in the middle order where he can use his unorthodox strokes against the spinners and the old ball. Smith, Clarke and hopefully Mitchell Marsh could fill the middle order which means we need to find a No 3 and another opener. Rogers has had some good performances but at 38 his time is limited.

I agree, I think Steve Smith is better suited in the middle order where he can use his unorthodox strokes against the spinners and the old ball. Smith, Clarke and hopefully Mitchell Marsh could fill the middle order which means we need to find a No 3 and another opener. Rogers has had some good performances but at 38 his time is limited.
I agree. Got to remember, a number 3 should also open. Can't see Smith opening in a test match

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Agreed. A year or two ago, Ricky Ponting expressed genuine concern for passing of the art of Test batting and I must say I agree with him. Shaun Marsh's dismissal today is symptomatic of the mind set of the average batsmen these days torn between Test cricket and the truncated forms of the game.

In a T20 match, with an entirely different field, the ball was there to be scored from. In Test cricket, it was a ball that should be left alone. I think a lot of young batsmen are struggling with this as batting is basically doing what comes naturally to you in a split second. Test bowlers no longer need the McGrath like discipline to draw players into false strokes, they bowl as many different balls in order for a batsman to find 6 ways an over to get himself out ... and it works a lot of the time.

A lot of the stuff that dismisses batsmen in today's Test cricket would never have got batsmen out years ago. We applaud the fact that Test batsmen move the score along at 4 runs an over these days ... but is it REALLY good batting, or just good entertainment? I would hate to see the day when the reverse sweep becomes a legitimate way of scoring Test runs.
In junior cricket, players are given a mindset that the must score runs, the play a shot to every ball they face. It's that simple. Refreshingly Greg Chappell may finally be starting to get the message twenty years too late. It's one thing to play positively, another to play correctly and each ball on its merits.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
How much damage has that performance done to Starc. I'm one of his biggest critics in terms of Test match cricket and have often said that he is not up to it but that type of performance could have a huge negative effect on his development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What are Josh Hazlewood's chances of going to England for the Ashes tour next year after his 5 wickets on debut today? IMO, I think Hazlewood could cause some problems for the England batsmen. But which English venue would suit him best, if he is picked for the tour?

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
What are Josh Hazlewood's chances of going to England for the Ashes tour next year after his 5 wickets on debut today? IMO, I think Hazlewood could cause some problems for the England batsmen. But which English venue would suit him best, if he is picked for the tour?
If he's fit he's on the tour - no question. He has pace and height and can move the ball, he's going.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
How much damage has that performance done to Starc. I'm one of his biggest critics in terms of Test match cricket and have often said that he is not up to it but that type of performance could have a huge negative effect on his development
Assess after the second dig, Starc is very much a rhythm Bowles.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

I'd suggest he's a monty to play all 5 tests if fit.

He'll love Lord's

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Wicketless in 9 of 25 innings, not good enough. World Class bowlers shouldnt be like that. Has also gone at 4 or more an over in 9 innings. A lot of his wickets have tended to be slog wickets by players either chasing quick runs, tail enders or players already set going for big runs.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
They selected Hazlewood in his first test squad when he was 19.

The selectors love the bloke- and it's not hard to see why.
It's hard not to see why now. How he was ever picked at 19 was ridiculous. Same with Cummins. Might have worked in 1 test but thats the only sample we have. In Cummins' FC career though there is enough sample to say that he could be like Starc.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

I think they'd all suit him, he bowls a good length with a bit of swing and seam which is effective on most English pitches.

He's already booked his ticket with his performance in this test.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Even if all of Johnson, Harris, Patto, and Bird are fit?
I posted a pecking order some time back which went;
Tier 1 M Johnson, R Harris
Tier 2 J Hazelwood, J Pattinson, P Siddle, P Cummins
Tier 3 B Hilfenhaus, D Bollinger, J Bird, J Behrendorff
Tier 4 the rest

I would be surprised if the went outside this subject to injury and performance. They like pace and height in that order, guys like Sayers are coming from a long way back.

"a batsman to find 6 ways an over to get himself out"

the problem in a nutshell

I don't mind a warner, gilchrist or viv richards going on the attack from the first ball but for most including Bradman it is about getting set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back