Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may very well get your wish, as Ross has already pencilled McPharlin in for around 15 games next season, conceding to the need to give him some rest days to manage his body.

Of course this is all subject to injuries, WAFL form etc.

Do you have a direct quote on that?

It would be interesting to see how they match up the backs vs forwards in the scratch match. It would probably give us an insight to how much they rate each player. You'd imagine it could look something like McPharlin Vs Pav, Dawson Vs Apeness, A Pearce/T Smith Vs Taberner and then the other one of Pearce and Smith Vs Mayne. That would probably then leave Sutcliffe, Ibbo and Spurr to line up on Walters, Ballas and Duffy.

With sandi most likely rucking 70/80% game the second ruck forward roll interests me, Clarke vs apeness, clarke vs Moller, apeness vs Moller & chuck big jack & griff in now I'd like to see this in a scratchy. Imo tabs will be a permanent forward so not in my match ups.

Just something he said at a breakfast function I went to the other week. He was happy to make it known that McPharlin will be rested.
Its probably a bit of an adaptation RTB is needing to make. He has in the past preferred to stick with the same players as often as possible like he did with the Saints when they blitzed the H&A but the reality of managing a squad with our travel demands and a few ageing thoroughbreds is perhaps forcing him to mix it up a bit and use a larger squad with drop-ins available when needed.

Its probably a bit of an adaptation RTB is needing to make. He has in the past preferred to stick with the same players as often as possible like he did with the Saints when they blitzed the H&A but the reality of managing a squad with our travel demands and a few ageing thoroughbreds is perhaps forcing him to mix it up a bit and use a larger squad with drop-ins available when needed.

Yeah absolutely, he was also saying that when McPharlin came in to his office he was preparing for him to say he was retiring so the fact Luke wanted to go around again shocked him and as you say, forced him to put in place a plan to manage him throughout the year.

To be honest, Clancee was huge in 2013 but got injured late. That performance seems to be forgotten by many because of his run of injury last year. I've no doubt that if he is fully fit then he will be in the 22. A tackling machine with a great kick.

Agreed, Clancee will be back with a vengeance next year. Gun player always has been. Really hope he does well if only to read bradesmaens meltdowns.

From what I've seen, Ballard's deficiency is his kicking.

Can someone who watches plenty of Peel games please comment on Ballard's disposal?

That's the big one, haven't seen every Peel game though. The promising thing is that even though there's a fair few grubbers and ones that go off the side of the boot he is being played as an extractor and his actual decision making when clearing it out of a stoppage looks AFL standard. His clearance work reminds me a little of Barlows, appears to have a fast mind and his hands are top shelf. He really isn't too dissimilar from a young Jobe Watson imo, not saying he's going to be a Brownlow medalist or anything but I do get the hype.

I can forgive poor disposal if the decision behind it is sound, much like Fyfe early on.

That's the big one, haven't seen every Peel game though. The promising thing is that even though there's a fair few grubbers and ones that go off the side of the boot he is being played as an extractor and his actual decision making when clearing it out of a stoppage looks AFL standard. His clearance work reminds me a little of Barlows, appears to have a fast mind and his hands are top shelf. He really isn't too dissimilar from a young Jobe Watson imo, not saying he's going to be a Brownlow medalist or anything but I do get the hype.

I can forgive poor disposal if the decision behind it is sound, much like Fyfe early on.
I've only seen very limited action of Ballard, but does anyone think that he could be one that could develop in to a replacement for Crowley? He seems to be building quite a big tank now. Or does everyone see the natural successor to Crowley as perhaps Deboer? With our defensive mind set you would think that once Crowley retires we would still always have a run with player. I know sometimes MZ gets jobs but they aren't tagging jobs per say they are more just run with roles.

Just something he said at a breakfast function I went to the other week. He was happy to make it known that McPharlin will be rested.

Thanks, mate. This is interesting, because as much as resting players is talked about by fans and media, it's not often you hear it from Ross.

Agreed, Clancee will be back with a vengeance next year. Gun player always has been. Really hope he does well if only to read bradesmaens meltdowns.

I certainly have high hopes for Clancee for this year. I really rate him and still remember his breakout 2012 season.

Brades is the Basil Fawlty of sports fans with different players. He's either crawling all over them, licking their boots, or spitting poison at them like some benzedrine puff adder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put Ibbo in this basket too. His 2013 was superb, AA worthy, only to be cut down by injury. Couldn't get it together this year so hopefully 2015 he is back to his best!

Moller seriously struggling running laps. Clancee looking fit as hell runnimg at the front of his group every lap.

So good to hear about Clancee, seems like the forgotten one.

Bit hot down there today? Can't tell inside my aircon office.

Do any of you expect Moller to be on our list in 2 years time?

Hasn't really shown much improvement since he started

Do any of you expect Moller to be on our list in 2 years time?

Hasn't really shown much improvement since he started

I'll try stick up for my new bud, might be bit hard but I thought read previously that coaches were happy because he put on heaps of weight. Re two years who knows probably depends how he plays a bit. A lot younger bigs can take time & even some of the mids need time to build tank.
How was the rest of the training, any stand outs?..?

Training Report

Just got back from Freo Oval and I am melting, so I wonder how the boys are feeling?

They were put through their paces fully today, so I think they would all be at the beach recovering by now.

The boys were broken up into 2 groups with most of the starting best 22 players in one group and the rest in the other. It was all ball skills today with drill after drill which focused on quick ball movement through congestion both coming out of the backline and running through the middle.

Brett Kirk was coaching the main group in these drills.

They guys who impressed me today were Stephen Hill, Matt De Boer, Tendai Mzungu, David Mundy and Hayden Ballantyne, with Ballas playing in the middle today.

Others who worked well were David Mundy, Chris Mayne, Clancee Pearce and Lachie Neale.

Best of the newcomers was Connor Blakely, followed closely by Lachie Weller. By the way, Blakely and Weller are training with the main group and not the WAFL group.

Sonny came out of the gym with no sling on, so he looks ready to resume full training. Josh De Luca was also in the gym.

Those on laps only today were Tommy Sheridan, Danyle Pearce, Alex Silvagni, Jon Griffin and Alex Pearce.

Jacob Ballard was also on light duties. No sign of Johnno or Crowls, but Luke, Pav and Sandi all trained fully, as did Nick Suban and Lachie Neale who have just rejoined the main side.

But today I have to give the TTHD award to Sean Hurley for working hard all morning in weather that he would not be accustomed to.

Great catching up with IMADOCKER again down there too.

#ffcpreseason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back