Players of interest: 2015

Isnt Saad a rookie

jep, the form before his ban would definitely make him a first 22 player in St.Kilda. A couple of other teams for that matter. I'll be watching to see his form (supposedly he has been training really well in private) and if there is a chance of promotion.

I reckon he will be a cash cow this year, whether at the start or middle of the season.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Cooney is a mid-forward now, will definitely have a top 10 forward average if he is managed well and plays say 18-20 games, could be a solid POD will wait and see his pre season form.

Griffen and St Kilda's Jack Steven will be similarly priced in 2015 in both games around 480-490k, both should be on the watchlist imo, could help midfield structure. However if Griffen's back is stuffed then pass.

Boyd's calves worry me, he started off last season well and I jumped on him as one of my 1st upgrades but he burnt me out a month later and had to get rid of him. Libba doesn't miss many games, hasn't missed a game since he had that club imposed ban put on him, if he can consistently break a tag then he will average 105 year in year out instead of 97-98 like the last 2 years.

Bontempelli will be a dominant supercoacher like Fyfe, if he has mid-fwd status then look out for him but I'm not keen. Stringer won't be fantasy relevant imo until he gets more of the ball, some of his 4-5 goal hauls from last year were only getting him scores of 60s and 70s, no from me. Hrovat is more likely than Hunter to breakout if one of them do next year etc avg 80+, if Hrovat is a fwd-mid I will definitely consider. Biggs could be an option as he should be cheaper than JJ and Darley.

How is it both you guys managed to overlook mentioning Macrae? Surely he's worth a look.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Cooney is a mid-forward now, will definitely have a top 10 forward average if he is managed well and plays say 18-20 games, could be a solid POD will wait and see his pre season form.

Griffen and St Kilda's Jack Steven will be similarly priced in 2015 in both games around 480-490k, both should be on the watchlist imo, could help midfield structure. However if Griffen's back is stuffed then pass.

Boyd's calves worry me, he started off last season well and I jumped on him as one of my 1st upgrades but he burnt me out a month later and had to get rid of him. Libba doesn't miss many games, hasn't missed a game since he had that club imposed ban put on him, if he can consistently break a tag then he will average 105 year in year out instead of 97-98 like the last 2 years.

Bontempelli will be a dominant supercoacher like Fyfe, if he has mid-fwd status then look out for him but I'm not keen. Stringer won't be fantasy relevant imo until he gets more of the ball, some of his 4-5 goal hauls from last year were only getting him scores of 60s and 70s, no from me. Hrovat is more likely than Hunter to breakout if one of them do next year etc avg 80+, if Hrovat is a fwd-mid I will definitely consider. Biggs could be an option as he should be cheaper than JJ and Darley.

Disagree on Cooney, he doesn't work hard enough to get the big scores anymore. If his knee has improved I might risk him for a quick price rise, but I'll need to see more than he gave us last year. Fair point on Boyd, calves are certainly 'old mans injuries'. Bontempelli is one to watch, I agree. He will get more focus this year and I'm not convinced his body can support a bigger frame just yet - just in terms of being able to cover the ground for the full 120 minutes. Stringer depends on pricing for min: his last few months - if average out over the full year - was of a 50 - 60 goal per year forward. Priced right, he could be a good long term forward option..

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
My preseason watch will be over;

Adelaide: Rory Sloan, Brodie Smith, Van Berlo, Grigg
Brisbane: Allen Christensen, Rich, Trengove
Carlton: Tutt, Menzell, Whiley, Jacksh
Collingwood: Nathan Freeman, Karneziris
Essendon: Dyson Heppel, Zarharakis, Adam Cooney, Shaun Edwards
Fremantle: Fyfe, Morabito, Walters, Weller, Tabener
Geelong: Mitch Clark, Smedts
Gold Coast: Nick Malceski! GAJ, Harley Bennell, Glenn
GWS: Ryan Griffen, Tomlinson, Kelly
Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead, Brad Hill, Jono O'Rourke, Andersen
Melbourne: Ben Newton, Hogan, Patracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Viney, Mitchie
North Melbourne:
Port Adelaide: Westhoff, Boak, Wingard, Amon
Richmond: Martin, McDonough, Drummond
St. Kilda: Membry, Weller, Billings, Longer
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Mitchell, Heeney
West Coast:
Western Bulldogs: Shane Biggs, Hrovat
Keep an eye on Lycett, kid is going to be a gun!

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
T.Membrey is a lock for me.

Lonie & Saad I am going to look over the pre-season (I think Lonie will be a mid season upgrade target).

Jack Newnes is an interesting one for me. He is quite expensive, but will be a good POD and the lack of defenders this year.
Saad would be ahead of Membrey imo, Membrey is more of an undersized key forward, not sure how great his scoring potential will be, think he could be next years Rohan on output/expectations.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Disagree on Cooney, he doesn't work hard enough to get the big scores anymore. If his knee has improved I might risk him for a quick price rise, but I'll need to see more than he gave us last year. Fair point on Boyd, calves are certainly 'old mans injuries'. Bontempelli is one to watch, I agree. He will get more focus this year and I'm not convinced his body can support a bigger frame just yet - just in terms of being able to cover the ground for the full 120 minutes. Stringer depends on pricing for min: his last few months - if average out over the full year - was of a 50 - 60 goal per year forward. Priced right, he could be a good long term forward option..
Cooney averaged 78 last year but had 3 injury/sub affected games, you take his 33, 22 and 6 out of his average he averages 90.2 which is excellent for a forward, he also had 11 games where he scored 80+ which is ok from his 15 non injury/sub affected games, imo 80 is the number premium fwds, rucks and defenders should score if they havean off day.

Stringer needs to get more marks and kicks +6s into his game, he will only average 60-65 on current output as a forward which is not good enough, you'd take that from a bargain basement rookie/cash cow but not as a long term choice, if Hrovat is a mid/fwd I'd be looking there if his preseason numbers are good.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
How is it both you guys managed to overlook mentioning Macrae? Surely he's worth a look.
Will be targeted week in week out without Griffen around, a lot of clubs know how damaging he is when he is allowed to do what he wants, he will probably bust out a 120+ every 3-4-5 weeks but it's what he scores with a tight tag that needs to be considered, was only getting 70s and 80s when he had attention last season.

Saad would be ahead of Membrey imo, Membrey is more of an undersized key forward, not sure how great his scoring potential will be, think he could be next years Rohan on output/expectations.

he got 40 in a sub effected game (he was subbed in the third if my memory is right) in his only swans game. I reckon Membrey is a definite starter and will be a 50-60 player per game. One of the things he worked on at the swans was fitness in his time on our list.

The only thing that would concern me is he is in the saints forward line. (I have never picked rohan in my team, even as a swans supporter as I thought he would do what he did. I was lucky to trust my instincts on him when everyone was choosing him)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
How is he DT relevant?
Cash cow defender, probably will be more SC relevant but he should be low 200s. Was hoping he will turn out like Lake in 2012 coming off injury busting a 70+ average. Strained another calf apparently, out for over a month or so.

From Melbourne, players I reckon I will look at are:
A. Vandenberg MID $120,000 (A rookie that I think has the physic and skill to play this season)
J. Hogan FWD $194,000 (will be in everyone's team)
J. Garlett FWD $262,000 (With expensive rookies, a change of scenery might get him back to form)
A. Brayshaw MID $294,000 (could get to $400/$450K. Risky at the price)

No Premo's I want. N.Jones is to expensive for me.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
From Melbourne, players I reckon I will look at are:
A. Vandenberg MID $120,000 (A rookie that I think has the physic and skill to play this season)
J. Hogan FWD $194,000 (will be in everyone's team)
J. Garlett FWD $262,000 (With expensive rookies, a change of scenery might get him back to form)
A. Brayshaw MID $294,000 (could get to $400/$450K. Risky at the price)

No Premo's I want. N.Jones is to expensive for me.
I like Garlett at that price, he's capable of averaging 75-85 but needs some love. Needs to find the ball but will be a good stepping stone to a premo or will be solid bench cover.

If Jones busts out the 90s and 100s again and looks like he'll average 100-105 again then he'll be an upgrade target, his durability is excellent and will do the job when others get injured or in Rocky/Fyfe/Stevie Js cases get suspended. Will look out for Vandenberg, will either start with him or he'll be a solid downgrade if he gets elevated from the rookie list.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Daniel Rich has to be one of the most popular picked at his price/potential output, Christensen has mid/fwd status and could be more reliable than Zorko. Rocky is an upgrade target for me, too expensive, wait until he has an 80-90 and his B/E gets above 200, that's when I'll be saving up for him.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bit more on Ainslee's Aaron Vandenberg 188 cm 90 kg
22 years old MID $120,000 runner up NEAFL MVP
Back to back club best and fairest averaged 32 touches
with a game high 56 touches, coming off a shoulder reco.
Bit of competition at Melbourne now with Jones, Tyson,
Viney, Cross, Vince, Newton, Brayshaw and Petracca and
company, but maybe one to watch.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As suspected, Bontempelli a mid/fwd and Hrovat surprisingly only gets fwd status.

Shane Biggs is only a mid which is disappointing, I would've thought he'd be a mid/def
Hrovat , Hunter , and Honeychurch all lost their duality and are FWD only,
you could add Daniel to that group and there is some appeal there for sure.
Talia at 161,000 could be a gift if in favor with the new coach and he had
to get Kelly in to play him and at 120,000 he is a watch too. Biggs was a
MID last year at 261,000, but did play back in the NEAFL was a little
disappointed with his new price at 310,000.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I like Garlett at that price, he's capable of averaging 75-85 but needs some love. Needs to find the ball but will be a good stepping stone to a premo or will be solid bench cover.

If Jones busts out the 90s and 100s again and looks like he'll average 100-105 again then he'll be an upgrade target, his durability is excellent and will do the job when others get injured or in Rocky/Fyfe/Stevie Js cases get suspended. Will look out for Vandenberg, will either start with him or he'll be a solid downgrade if he gets elevated from the rookie list.
Garlett is not capable of averaging 75- 85 lol

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Garlett is not capable of averaging 75- 85 lol
Check out his start of 2013 (before he ran over Malthouses dog or whatever he did) was averaging over 80 then. Only went below 70 twice in the first 11 rounds, he has averaged a tick over 70 3 times already, as a cash cow he could do the job early and hopefully go close to peaking at 400k before being culled.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Check out his start of 2013 (before he ran over Malthouses dog or whatever he did) was averaging over 80 then. Only went below 70 twice in the first 11 rounds, he has averaged a tick over 70 3 times already, as a cash cow he could do the job early and hopefully go close to peaking at 400k before being culled.
Lol you dont know what youre talking about.

Malthouse gave Garlett every chance to play AFL - unfortunately he was having personal issues that led to him not giving a * about football.

He was racking up massive disposal counts like 7 and 9 whilst playing MIDFIELD in the twos at the end of the year.

And even if he is at his best. One short stint of form does not lead to him aberaging 75-80 over a year or even half a year. He's a 65-70 avg player at his best and at the moment he probably isnt even in the team

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Lol you dont know what youre talking about.

Malthouse gave Garlett every chance to play AFL - unfortunately he was having personal issues that led to him not giving a **** about football.

He was racking up massive disposal counts like 7 and 9 whilst playing MIDFIELD in the twos at the end of the year.
I'm not talking about his 2014 form/personal issues, this is 2013 and beforehand, when things were going well for him. As an early season cash cow he could do his job if his pre-season form looks good and has a good 1st month or so if he's in Melbourne's best 21.

How many mediocre players did Roos transform into solid players at Sydney? Garlett is on my watchlist.

I'm not talking about his 2014 form/personal issues, this is 2013 and beforehand, when things were going well for him. As an early season cash cow he could do his job if his pre-season form looks good and has a good 1st month or so if he's in Melbourne's best 21.

How many mediocre players did Roos transform into solid players at Sydney? Garlett is on my watchlist.

He is EASILY best 21 at the dees.
he has kicked a goal unlike 10 others who'll get a game

Back