Discussion If you could go back in time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, put me down for any extremely violent matches - no matter the teams, I just want to see some carnage!
1987 Friday night game between Swans and Carlton. Probably most volatile match I remember seeing on tv in my time. I cannot even remember, whom did what to whom first but it all centred around two complete nutters with bad white line fever basically declaring neither was getting off field without broken bones. Greg Williams and David Rhy-Jones. They were true to their word too...lol...

St Kilda v Collingwood at Moorabbin in 1975 when Fabulous Phil kicked 11 (and George Young 8).
Essendon v Hawthorn at Windy Hill in 1978 for the Van Der Haar/Knights aerial duel.
1970 Grand Final. Goes without saying.
1984 SA v Vic; 1984, 1986 WA v Vic
1981 Essendon v Fitzroy Elimination Final - a game I missed to my eternal self-loathing.
Any Fitzroy premiership.
South v St Kilda at the Lake Oval in '77; not for the entire game, just to eye-witness Trevor Barker's mark over Ricky Quade - a thing of beauty.
Could go on forever...

I would love to watch the 1961 State Carnival.

Vic def SA by lots
SA def WA by 2 pts in a game regarded as one of the best state games of all time.
WA def Vic by 9 pts to win the carnival by 1.1%.

Well from what I've read, you would probably want to go back to circa 1900 (give or take a decade???) and check out a North Melbourne vs Port Melbourne game.
A lot to be said for this. So many things are now assumed but to actually see a full game would be terrific. As a sometime historian about the early game, just taking in one game, with the crowd and all would be terrific. A specific game, maybe the saints nm game 1930s which led to the saints having 15 men in the field and much handwrinfing.It is though so hard to choose.

For Hawthorn one game sticks out...

The 1971 Hawthorn v St Kilda GF. Before '71 Hawthorn and St Kilda had 1 flag each and shared in 30 of the preceding 74 wooden spoons (in fact between '25-71 the Hawks had 11 spoons and the Saints 8).

Late into the 3rd quarter the Saints led by 29 points in a very low scoring Grand Final (the Hawks had only kicked 4 goals for 3/4 of the match and looked gone...see pic below)

View attachment 95561

Roll on the final quarter and the Hawks kick 7.3 to 3.0 (really 8.3 as the goal to get them within 4 goals was scored with seconds left in the 3rd quarter) to take the flag by 7 points...

David Parkin has suggested that the '71 was the most brutal match that he has ever played, coached or spectated in. Add in the Peter Hudson 150 goal sideshow and it really is an underrated GF...in many ways the 70s equivalent to the 2009 Grand Final.

In fact when you consider its proximity to the famous 1970 and 1972 GF's, its a great shame that it often gets overlooked for inferior games...like 1967 (sandwiched between 1966 and 1970) it was one of the truly great GF's that has been lost in what was a golden era of Grand Finals (1966-1981)

In a historical context that game was a great sliding doors moment. The Hawks (on the back of Matthews, Knights, Scott and Moore) kickstarted their great 70s / 80s era while the Saints slid into oblivion. From that day forward Hawthorn have added a further 11 flags (inc 1971) to the trophy cabinet while the Saints have no further silverware to speak of (although they've qualified for 4 further Grand Finals)

That game directly led to the introduction of the centre square in 1972 intended to limit crowding of the centre

At one stage 28 players were photographed gathered around the centre bounce during the match

They were both very physical sides who muscled the ball forwards

The use of the forearm was very much in evidence in those days

Any game with Albert Thurgood, Laurie Nash, Ken Farmer or John Coleman in it
The 1934 SANFL Grand Final Glenelg v Port
The 1964 SANFL Grand Final South v Port
The 1965 SANFL Grand Final Port v Sturt
The 1973 SANFL Grand Final Glenelg v North
The 1966 VFL Grand Final
The 1970 VFL Grand Final
Either Haw v Geel game in 1989

All Grand Finals

1958 Collingwood 12.10(82) d Melbourne 9.10(64). Demons were gunning for four in a row, had finished on top by three games and thrashed the Pies by 45 points in the Qualifying final. Collingwood defied all logic with a great victory in the big one. Redlegs supporters must have been apoplectic afterwards.

1961 Hawthorn 13.16(94) d Footscray 7.9(51). A sweet victory for a club that had spent the vast majority of their 36 year history in the VFL as a laughing stock.The elation of the loyal band of men and women associated with the club through all those dark years must have been something to behold.

1966 StKilda 10.14(74) d Collingwood 10.13(73). See above.

1970 Carlton 17.9(111) d Collingwood 14.17(101). Great comeback victory.Getting yourself off the deck in any game is hard, in a Grand Final where the opposition is top class it is almost impossible. Threw all caution to the wind and it paid off

1973 Richmond 16.20(116) d Carlton 12.14(86). Revenge for 72 sought and seized. Did it the hard way by losing the Qualifying to the Blues and then having to mount a last quarter comeback to knock out the Pies ( out in straight sets after finishing two games clear on top BTW)in the prelim. Brutal performance in the big one with Carlton players being hit all over the place. Tough, tough side were the Tigers in those days. This was a great premiership.

1976 Hawthorn 13.22(100) d North 10.10(70) Kennedys last game as coach. A sprinkling of revenge for the number done on them by the Roos in 75. The dark shadow of the gravely ill Peter Crimmins. North were top class, to roll them over by 30 points ( 35 scoring shots to 20 ) was a cracking performance. For mine the best premiership won in the 70's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi this is my 1st post.

Probably in the wrong place, but

If I could go back in time...

I'd go back to the late 70's/early 80's to make sure I didn't just imagine Kevin Taylor's footy for Swannies and east freo.

The guy was a freak, back page photos every week for his screamers.
Pretty sure he is the only rover to kick 100 goals in a season (AFL,WAFL,VFL or SANFL)
Was as talented as Ablett Snr.

He almost doesn't exist though on the Net. :)

If anyone has photos/video/commentary of the great man back in his day, I would love to see it please. :)

Hi this is my 1st post.

Probably in the wrong place, but

If I could go back in time...

I'd go back to the late 70's/early 80's to make sure I didn't just imagine Kevin Taylor's footy for Swannies and east freo.

The guy was a freak, back page photos every week for his screamers.
Pretty sure he is the only rover to kick 100 goals in a season (AFL,WAFL,VFL or SANFL)
Was as talented as Ablett Snr.

He almost doesn't exist though on the Net. :)

yes i'd second
He didn't do much in VFL
but the wafl was at its height around the
the 79 grand final Old Easts v South's

Didn't like the city too much I'm guessing.

Would love to see his career stats for Carnamah/Gero or whoever he mainly played for in the bush.

66 for obvious reasons, but I'd also like to go back in time before the 2009 Grand Final and see about implementing the score review a few years earlier

One out of left field but for Melbourne fans...

Round 17, 1964

If not for a freak goal the Hawks would have finished off as minor premier and the Demons (who went on to win the flag themselves) would have missed the finals in 5th...

Thanks, just fun to see a video of a bit of play from 50 years ago.
What stands out is how stuffed they all are in last quarter because football used to be a game where the players took the field virtually all game and it was played in real mud and wet grounds. Also they all had jobs so could not train a zillion times a week. Massive change of full time footballers having big pre-season of running forever so can run and rotate 22 players up and down the field. This was not part of football a few decades back. I really miss football being more positionally based. Sadly the extended bench has made the game be more about running up and down the field and rotating everyone. Funny and fascinating to see Barassi do a handball in backline to play on and the commentator back then bagged it.

When I watched the youtube I found a link to another video of 1972 grand final in colour. Just amazes me how many goals Carlton were kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back