Universal Love Keith Thomas

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
KT has fanboys because he has pretty much nailed every controllable he actually has as CEO for the past three years. He's got the key appointments right, he's overseen a total brand overhaul that has greatly increased revenue from membership, sponsorship and the like, fixed the internal and external communication from the club, and overseen the move to Adelaide Oval and restructure of our SANFL team as smooth as anything.

The stadium deal is a big deal, literally and figuratively. We are talking about several millions of dollars per annum for both us and the Crows and, once you remove the vague language and niceties, it's all about shifting revenue from the SANFL's balance sheet to our balance sheet. That's no easy task and it's better that we take 2 years to get it right than get it done in 2 months and look back in years to come and wonder why we didn't push harder.

No doubt the stadium deal will be the big ticket financial item of KT's tenure as CEO but a CEO's job is more than just about getting the finances right, and even if it were he has already got a lot right in that department anyway. If KT were to resign today, I would happily say he has done a tremendous job as CEO.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well I listened to KT and went to donate $47 on foodbanks website but

Excellent post Tribey
Both Haysman and Primus are much maligned by Port supporters .I believe they both had a part in our resurrection although not many credit them.They were pushing s**t uphill with a bit of wire and were under manned and under resourced.
the new board are doing a fantastic job

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Portia is a very important reason why the PAFC is the sort of place it is. We will always need her and fans like her to keep us on the straight and narrow. When she is making a point its not to big note herself its because it's a point that needs to be made. I don't always agree with her but I always listen to her. If she wants KT to jump over another 'judgement hurdle' later, there'll be a damn good reason for it.

I must say though that of course I agree with her on this one. As Yoda said once "Stopped, they must be. On this, all depends." If we don't get a deal that allows us sustainability, then we might enjoy a modicum of success thanks to Ken Hinkley's coaching skill and our talented list. But it will fade, and we will fade, as our beloved club is drained by our enemies, and we won't have the cash to regenerate ourselves.

You have to think ahead, where are we going to be in 2040, 2050, 2070? And how are we going to get there? This is why this deal matters so much.
Good post. :thumbsu:

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My understanding is that Haysman was opposed to renewing Choco's contract but he was overruled by the board who had formed a sub-committee to make a recommendation. That could be interpreted as a failing of Haysman's persuasive powers or it could be interpreted as an indication of what a stubborn Choco centric board we had at the time.
I recall many of us here reading a post whilst that meeting was on and the meeting went for much longer than expected.

Not sure who it was but it was something like having one of those roving reporters outside a tribunal meeting letting us know who was walking in and out and their apparent "mood".

I could be wrong but the outcome was "known" on here before it was announced as Haysman left the building and appeared to be pissed off or something along those lines.

Last edited:

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Again, not happening if Haysman didn't have the courage to blow the whistle.
Many forget that the so called bail out by the SANFL didn't happen because they loved us but because the AFL stepped in thanks to what you posted.

As KT has rightly said sometimes one needs to invest money to make money.
Haysman organised the money for the next group to invest.

Many forget that the so called bail out by the SANFL didn't happen because they loved us but because the AFL stepped in thanks to what you posted.

Haysman didnt organise the AFL bail out $$$. He was sacked by the sanfl and John Lyons was going to be appointed ceo - but the AFL stepped in and put together the rescue package.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Not sure what money you are are talking about, because we were dead broke, existing on loans, and still are!! But regardless, they still needed to invest any monies properly!

I was a fan of Haysman, and some things happened that might have been beyond his control. But they happened! And like some posters here are saying, the CEO cops the blame! KT inherited a crippled club, but as rightly mentioned, one with a great history, a good young list, and the prospect of improvement with the move to the Oval. Poor governance from that point on could have seen us descend into infamy, or rise to glory. What has occurred over the last two years will be seen as a glorious Renaissance in years to come, credited to to the efforts of KT, and I am sure many others, Haysman included.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haysman didnt organise the AFL bail out $$$. He was sacked by the sanfl and John Lyons was going to be appointed ceo - but the AFL stepped in and put together the rescue package.

The AFL stepped in because of Haysman going to the AFL and raising the ire of the SANFL - in essence getting himself sacked - but not before the AFL executed the financial bailout Haysman wanted.

It's very checken-igg.

That story is dated 3 weeks after the s**t hit the fan.Its written the dayafter the sanfl's 30 June statement re funding package.

Haysman held secure a $3.5m grant in 2009 and $4m in 2010. Half the $4mil was paid in 2010 with the rest in 2011. End of May first few days in early June the sanfl said they wont pay the second instalment $2m - they sack Haysman, Wakelin formaly resigns from the boardas a few weeks earlier he said he was going to as couldnt make the commitment any more, 2 more directors Jeffries and Hood are effectively sacked, the forensic accountant the sanfl appointed to the board resigns - as disagrees with sanfl's actions - and sanfl get ready to instal John Lyons. Duncanson runs to the AFL to say you have to stop this s**t. AFL negotiaties a package with the condition Haysman sticks around for a few weeks until a replacement is appointed. As you can see from the article KT was annonted 6 weeks before formally appointed.

So yes Haysman played his part in negotiating the first half of the $16mil of grants received but the second half was the AFL and Duncanson leading this.

Corby_says

Senior List
Oct 15, 2008
McLaren Vale, S.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Power Reserves in SANFL
All I know is that the Power reserves have replaced the Magpies at SANFL league level, we have lost our zones, our U16's, our U18's, next our Academy, a multitude of senior and junior players to the other SANFL League clubs, our representation on the SANFL board and for what ?
The SANFL has made us pay for 2 AFL license fees for the same thing, raped and denigrated our club in the press and on the field and KT is a hero for being the CEO over this time and now a super hero because he states the bleeding obvious about news that has been printed and reprinted by our enemies for the last 140+ years.

That story is dated 3 weeks after the s**t hit the fan.Its written the dayafter the sanfl's 30 June statement re funding package.

Haysman held secure a $3.5m grant in 2009 and $4m in 2010. Half the $4mil was paid in 2010 with the rest in 2011. End of May first few days in early June the sanfl said they wont pay the second instalment $2m - they sack Haysman, Wakelin formaly resigns from the boardas a few weeks earlier he said he was going to as couldnt make the commitment any more, 2 more directors Jeffries and Hood are effectively sacked, the forensic accountant the sanfl appointed to the board resigns - as disagrees with sanfl's actions - and sanfl get ready to instal John Lyons. Duncanson runs to the AFL to say you have to stop this s**t. AFL negotiaties a package with the condition Haysman sticks around for a few weeks until a replacement is appointed. As you can see from the article KT was annonted 6 weeks before formally appointed.

So yes Haysman played his part in negotiating the first half of the $16mil of grants received but the second half was the AFL and Duncanson leading this.

REH - Who were the SANFL directors & chiefs at the time? Who are they now?
I suspect minimal changes, and that explains in a nutshell what KT and the Club are up against.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All I know is that the Power reserves have replaced the Magpies at SANFL league level, we have lost our zones, our U16's, our U18's, next our Academy, a multitude of senior and junior players to the other SANFL League clubs, our representation on the SANFL board and for what ?
The SANFL has made us pay for 2 AFL license fees for the same thing, raped and denigrated our club in the press and on the field and KT is a hero for being the CEO over this time and now a super hero because he states the bleeding obvious about news that has been printed and reprinted by our enemies for the last 140+ years.
A better crack at AFL glory, that's what.

I read somewhere that Jefferies and Hood resigned in protest of the SANFL interference in Haysman's employment status. Can't remember where, but it was post the "we have to lick arse and say yum-yum" era.

The AFL stepped in because of Haysman going to the AFL and raising the ire of the SANFL - in essence getting himself sacked - but not before the AFL executed the financial bailout Haysman wanted.

It's very checken-igg.

Haysman, was a necessary thorn in the side of the AFL leading up to his departure. To the point that Vlad was sick of him. This was told to me by an ex board member.

Without his persistence, we would not be here today.

Haysman, was a necessary thorn in the side of the AFL leading up to his departure. To the point that Vlad was sick of him. This was told to me by an ex board member.

Without his persistence, we would not be here today.

As a good friend of mine once said, it should be his name on that stand. Not Basheer's.

REH - Who were the SANFL directors & chiefs at the time? Who are they now?
I suspect minimal changes, and that explains in a nutshell what KT and the Club are up against.
Sanfl directors = 8 club presidents + community football director. Only changes have been centrals + glenelg presidents. They appoint SA Football Commission.

Power resides with the SAFC. Whicker finished up in October but only one other change bewtween May 2011 and October 2014. Jamie Coppins ex North ceo and on SAFC since 1995 off and a true independent - with a long history in Amateur League - Simon Rodger came on in 2013.

Last edited:

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah but one could say that Haysman was the forest but there were also a number of different trees in there.

You are completely missing the bigger picture. The whole reason why we found ourselves in such a miserable mess is because nobody in SA football was looking at that bigger picture - people were more worried about protecting local clubs, vested interests, personal and historic agendas, etc. Haysman saw it for what it was and KT has driven the club (and by extension, SA football as a whole) to realise that vision.

Fos and Big Bob wanted us to be the best team in Oz. You cant do that from the Sanfl these days. If you are one club then you have to be invited into the leagues you want to play in and play by their rules. When we reunified John Firth said we are seen as an AFL clubwho has teams in the Sanfl. If Bruce got want he wanted, the current model is what we would have looked like in the 1991 season.

Stryke

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Are you for real?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Portia is a very important reason why the PAFC is the sort of place it is. We will always need her and fans like her to keep us on the straight and narrow. When she is making a point its not to big note herself its because it's a point that needs to be made. I don't always agree with her but I always listen to her. If she wants KT to jump over another 'judgement hurdle' later, there'll be a damn good reason for it.

I must say though that of course I agree with her on this one. As Yoda said once "Stopped, they must be. On this, all depends." If we don't get a deal that allows us sustainability, then we might enjoy a modicum of success thanks to Ken Hinkley's coaching skill and our talented list. But it will fade, and we will fade, as our beloved club is drained by our enemies, and we won't have the cash to regenerate ourselves.

You have to think ahead, where are we going to be in 2040, 2050, 2070? And how are we going to get there? This is why this deal matters so much.

Not arguing this at all. Of course this deal matters greatly. We cannot walk away from this deal having gained a few extra dollars but KT and the club are challenging this from a familiar position of disadvantage. I just do not believe that this rests on the shoulders of one man under the circumstances.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fos and Big Bob wanted us to be the best team in Oz. You cant do that from the Sanfl these days. If you are one club then you have to be invited into the leagues you want to play in and play by their rules. When we reunified John Firth said we are seen as an AFL clubwho has teams in the Sanfl. If Bruce got want he wanted, the current model is what we would have looked like in the 1991 season.

That was Weber's plan, yes, although nothing was mentioned about zones and juniors and so you would assume that at the time Weber and the club would have still hung on to those as part of the bigger picture (besides the VFL clubs still had all those structures when the crows had joined). However, with continued success in the sanfl I'm sure the sanfl leeches would have eventually eroded that away from us anyway.

Back