Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know it, and you can tell in the way he plays, and when he talks about the club.

But tonight, after Drewy's second goal, he walked towards us in M6 and grabbed a fistful of guernsey as he thumped his chest.

Basically, he was feeling exactly like we were feeling.

F***ing love the bloke :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Yep I spotted that too and commented to my old man.

Love the bloke. Bleeds for this club. Get furious when oppo supporters have a crack at him. Just wana get up and put em in their place.
My thoughts exactly. In fact I remember telling him (when I was a bit pissed) at the team hotel after the Adelaide game this year that he was my favourite player and that I absolutely loved his aggression.

Some blokes you just warm to because you sense just what the club means to them.

#12 Lindsay Thomas

THOMAS%20Lindsay.png

Games: 23
Goals: 45

Summary:
The man who polarises many North Melbourne supporters and makes the blood boil of opposition fans, Lindsay Thomas had an interesting 2014 campaign. After narrowly missing out on All-Australian selection last season after 53 goals from 20 games, Thomas looked set for a big year after an outstanding Round 1 performance against Essendon, kicking four terrific goals and taking two great marks. Two weeks later, he booted three in a high-stakes clash against Port Adelaide, before suffering a lean period between Rounds 4 and 7, booting five goals in total.

Following the first bye of the season, Thomas was back to his best, playing arguably his best game of the season with 19 disposals, six marks and four goals against Brisbane in Round 9. A week later at Geelong, Thomas booted three, but suffered an injury against West Coast in Round 11, forcing him to miss one game. On his return against Adelaide, Thomas kicked another bag of four. Another lean patch followed, before returning with four majors against Carlton in Round 18, then kicking another three against the Cats, however he earned much criticism for his controversial diving tactics.

Thomas was rested for the final game of the season against Melbourne, and there was much pressure on him to atone for his poor 2012 finals display. He did so in a big way, kicking three goals in the Elimination Final against Essendon, including one to put North Melbourne in front late in the game. A week later, Thomas set the Roos alight, booting three goals in the first five minutes of the contest. He could not add to his tally for the remainder of the game, but he was a key reason why North were able to get off to such a fast start. Like most of his teammates, Thomas was disappointing in the Preliminary Final against Sydney, finding a bit of the ball but not troubling the scorers.

Now a North Melbourne veteran with 153 games of experience, Thomas will be 27 years old at the commencement of the 2015 season. As a result, you can expect Brad Scott and the coaching staff to be getting in his ear regarding playing for free kicks. Thomas will have to set the example for forward pressure with the likes of Kayne Turner, Mason Wood and Taylor Garner likely to be there abouts next season.

Lindsay Thomas agrees, reputations are made in finals. But while the small forward hasn’t had a great showing, held goalless, in his two September appearances thus far, he knows he’s a much different player now.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-09-04/aiming-for-finals-glory

North Melbourne forward Lindsay Thomas' history of playing for free kicks is hurting his reputation with the umpires, coach Brad Scott says.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-09-16/thomas-hurt-reputation

Thomas was unstoppable early as North worked its way to what would end up being a crucial lead.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-10-18/2014-review-lindsay-thomas

332517-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

333975-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Lindsay+Thomas+AFL+2nd+Semi+Final+Geelong+mh-SHRbrwEXl.jpg

181014_thomas_ih.jpg

317672-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Lindsay+Thomas+North+Melbourne+v+Western+Bulldogs+V5GvFUIR2qDl.jpg

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-12-19/thomas-above-and-beyond
FIVE lucky Indigenous children from the Hermannsburg community in central Australia were treated to a memorable experience at North this week as part of their journey south of the country.

The boys, Ricco, Gideon, Norman, Naphtalie and Ashley, were selected for the trip as a reward for their behaviour, including their impressive school attendance rates and involvement in the NT Thunder football program.

Accompanied by AFL NT regional development manager Scott Grigg, they left Alice Springs at 3am last Thursday, stopping every three hours for meals before arriving in Adelaide at 7pm later that evening.

Memories of the arduous 16-hour road trip quickly faded when they spent a day with the Roos and watched the players train.

The five young boys are talented football players themselves, having each been selected in the Central Australia under-12 or under-13 representative sides.

They met several North players and coaches, and posed for photos with their favourite stars, including forward Drew Petrie and Indigenous idols Daniel Wells and Lindsay Thomas.

Grigg said the quality time the kids spent with Thomas, in particular, ranked as one of the high points of the visit.

“He (Thomas) went far and beyond expectations, not only spending his own time with us, but just the way he respected the boys and chatted with them and shared stories,” Grigg told NMFC.com.au this week.

“And then he offered to catch up later in their stay in a nearby park for a kick (of the football).

“His level of engagement was a highlight.”

Thomas is no stranger to helping others, especially those from Indigenous backgrounds, and uses his status as an AFL player to reconnect with his Aboriginal roots.

Grigg said Thomas offered each of the boys some invaluable advice along the way.

“He really focused on them finishing their schooling, (he told them) how important education is (and how it’s) aligned with football, because without that, most people tend to struggle,” he said.

“He emphasised the facts for them to stick at it at school and make sure they finish as high as they can.”

The youngsters had lunch with the likes of Thomas, Aaron Black, Joel Tippett and assistant coach Leigh Tudor, while learning about the importance of sports nutrition and how to best fuel the body when playing sport.

During their stay in Melbourne, the kids visited the beach for the first time, spent time on a dairy farm, and will go to the upcoming Boxing Day cricket Test and watch an A-League soccer match.

The Hermannsburg community, located about one hour out of Alice Springs, has a population of about 600 residents and the main language spoken is Arrernte followed by English.

What an absolute champ. I understand why a lot of people don't like him for his antics onfield but it's acts and efforts like this that make him very likable. He's obviously very proud of his Indigenous heritage but for him to go out of his way and do far more that expected of him for a bunch of kids from central Australia is a measure of the mans character. I don't claim to speak for the them but I would imagine that he would be an icon among the football playing indigenous community.

Never question that mans character. After all the assassination attempts by lots of different sections of the public and media, even supposed supporters of his football team, he still puts his head down and plays his absolute guts out for the blue and white and gets out there in the same public that condemns him and does such worthwhile and meaningful work in the community.

He's a Shinboner hero and a credit to himself and the club. Love ya, Linds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't give two stuffs what anyone thinks of his "antics". He's North to the nth degree and I love him.

Never question that mans character. After all the assassination attempts by lots of different sections of the public and media, even supposed supporters of his football team, he still puts his head down and plays his absolute guts out for the blue and white and gets out there in the same public that condemns him and does such worthwhile and meaningful work in the community.

He's a Shinboner hero and a credit to himself and the club. Love ya, Linds.
Great post!!!
It drives me mental hearing our own get into him, he bleeds blue and White!!!

People might find this funny, because I actually love this guy even more because exterior people hate him. I just laugh and go "God I love you Lindsay..." Even at some of the antics I know are wrong e.g. Diving etc. I'll still go "wow that's bad but god I love you Lindsay!"

A memory I'll never forget was at the Semi-final when he came to our section after the game and I reached over from 4 deep on the fence and got a fingertip of a high five from the great man.

Some people outside North laughed at how Lindsay cried after losing that prelim against the swans. Maybe it's just cause they have no idea about truly bleeding for the colours on the guernsey.

People might find this funny, because I actually love this guy even more because exterior people hate him. I just laugh and go "God I love you Lindsay..." Even at some of the antics I know are wrong e.g. Diving etc. I'll still go "wow that's bad but god I love you Lindsay!"

A memory I'll never forget was at the Semi-final when he came to our section after the game and I reached over from 4 deep on the fence and got a fingertip of a high five from the great man.

Some people outside North laughed at how Lindsay cried after losing that prelim against the swans. Maybe it's just cause they have no idea about truly bleeding for the colours on the guernsey.

I have probably written this somewhere in this thread but having heard him publically speak at a function a few years back he realises what AFL/North has given him compared to where his life may have been back in S.A.

Some of their own players probably cry when their club refuses to trade them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back