Australia vs India - Second Test @ GABBA - Dec 17-21 - Day 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Mitchell Johnson hit 150km yet this series?

That's another thing - he's been a bit down on pace this season. According to Jarrod Kimber, he's been bowling a couple of kilometres slower than average. Not massively significant. The more significant thing is the relative lack of fire. He's rarely been outright atrocious and he has been unlucky RE poor catching, but he's not quite there and I think most of us know why that might be. It's easy to just say that a quick should get on with bowling short stuff, but saying that after the passing of a teammate to a short ball? His tentativeness about bowling too much short stuff is probably subconscious, not conscious. Consciously he knows that he's most effective when he does, but there's just something in the back of his mind holding him back - a nagging doubt. What Sean Abbott was forced to endure could happen to him.

On the day, a very good day for Australia. We got a lead of nearly 100 runs (helped by some poor Indian bowling and captaincy alongside some enterprising tail end batting from Johnson, Starc, Lyon and Hazlewood - and let's not forget Super Smith!) and have bowled fairly well after an erratic first few overs.

I have heard Hazlewood described as being McGrath-like with the bat and his stats aren't impressive but I was modestly impressed with what I saw - he has a reasonable forward defence and is not a bad strokemaker once set. The only thing is that he fends a bit gingerly at times, especially early on in his innings - Dhoni could have caught him early. But from what I saw, certainly superior to McGrath.

The first session will be quite important tomorrow though. We keep bowling well and we will probably maintain our advantage. If not...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing batting performance by smith and johnson. I reckon the johnson innings gave alot of confidence to the other tailenders. Kudos to australia for coming back into this game. Getting more and more impressed by smith in each match he plays. What a captains knock! Amazing!

Dhawan looked nervous at the end of the days play, i hope he gains alot of confidence from surviving in that period. Pujara still looks slightly off, need him to find some form. Tomorrow is set up for another amazing day of test cricket.

This Ludeman guy could possibly be greater than Gilchrist.
willis1.jpg

It really is time to bite the bullet with Watson. As for Mitch Marsh I think he needs to be bowling to keep his spot in the side at this stage. I'd be much happier to see a younger guy given a crack. They could pick Cowan because his form warrants it but I am not sold on going back to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back