2014 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Victorian crowds are bad now I can only imagine what it will look like if another non-Victorian dominated period happens again like it did in the mid 2000's, and it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see something similar approaching next year. As I see it Sydney and Port are likely to be battling for top four spots, and possibly a group comprising of Fremantle, West Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane and us all fighting for top eight spots as well.

If Victorian crowds are bad now I can only imagine what it will look like if another non-Victorian dominated period happens again like it did in the mid 2000's, and it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see something similar approaching next year. As I see it Sydney and Port are likely to be battling for top four spots, and possibly a group comprising of Fremantle, West Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane and us all fighting for top eight spots as well.
Make no mistake, the AFL will do whatever it takes to make sure the crowds in Vic are maximized, at the interstate clubs expense if needs be.
Just look how differently poor crowds in SA a fews years ago were reported compared to the Vic teams this year. When our crowds were low it was "whats wrong with SA footy? Whats wrong with SA footy supporters?" With the Vic crowds its was "the AFL isnt doing enough to help Vic supporters. The Vic teams have to play at times the supporters dont like, they must change the times to suit"
Watch the pies get the best timeslots next year.

It's probably free general admission tickets for kids? Wouldn't be a bad idea if we did that. The parents who are wanting to go regularly are going to pay for them and there kids seats elsewhere.

The hill is GA and subject to capacity anyway. Give some new potential supporters a low cost introduction to lesser attended games. Plus there has always been plenty of space around the Eastern stands for extra standing when I've been there.

Port almost did it at AAMI by giving kids GA access with the $25 type kids season ticket I think.

That said I'm pretty sure a child's GA ticket is only a few dollars anyway.

I see port, Sydney, gws and gc to be the dominate teams from 2016 - 2019. I really don't see a Melbourne team being dominate during this period. Hopefully Paddy agrees with me.

Of course it is. Two seperate 14 year olds, one pays to go, one doesn't.

Why didn't Port 14 year olds get in for free when they couldn't pull a crowd?
Lets not give them something else to whinge about. "what about me...it isn't fair......" Their songs just write themselves.

Of course it is. Two seperate 14 year olds, one pays to go, one doesn't.

Why didn't Port 14 year olds get in for free when they couldn't pull a crowd?

When you make an analogy that completely ignores context, it isn't really relevant at all. Your analogy completely misses out on the fact that there is an intermediate party here - the clubs. This decision is not being made for fans. It's being made for clubs. Some clubs are struggling to draw a crowd in less-preferred timeslots, so the AFL is helping them to do so.

Our clubs are not struggling to do so, so there is no need for the AFL to implement a system to help us. If anything, it would actually harm us - why would you give a product away for free when enough people are willing to pay for it that you sell out on a regular basis?

The reality is Melbourne-based clubs aren't drawing a crowd on Sundays. The AFL has two choices - to either ignore the problem, or do something to address is. They've chosen the latter. In contrast, the other clubs in Australia don't have that problem to nearly the same degree, so why would the AFL do something to address a problem that isn't there?

When you make an analogy that completely ignores context, it isn't really relevant at all. Your analogy completely misses out on the fact that there is an intermediate party here - the clubs. This decision is not being made for fans. It's being made for clubs. Some clubs are struggling to draw a crowd in less-preferred timeslots, so the AFL is helping them to do so.

Our clubs are not struggling to do so, so there is no need for the AFL to implement a system to help us. If anything, it would actually harm us - why would you give a product away for free when enough people are willing to pay for it that you sell out on a regular basis?

The reality is Melbourne-based clubs aren't drawing a crowd on Sundays. The AFL has two choices - to either ignore the problem, or do something to address is. They've chosen the latter. In contrast, the other clubs in Australia don't have that problem to nearly the same degree, so why would the AFL do something to address a problem that isn't there?
Why didn't the AFL help Port out and let 14 year olds in for free at Footy Park?

It was only a year ago and Ports crowds were struggling big time. The answer is pretty simple, it's a Victorian competition with guests.

There's also a decent argument that the AFL being proactive and forcing SA's hand and getting us to renovate and move to Adelaide Oval has done infinitely more for Port Adelaide than any number of free tickets ever will for Melbourne-based clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didn't the AFL help Port out and let 14 year olds in for free at Footy Park?
Because then we might have more Port Power supporters, which would have flow on effects to the whole fabric of our society.

Be careful what you wish for.

Because then we might have more Port Power supporters, which would have flow on effects to the whole fabric of our society.

Be careful what you wish for.
That's quite a clever post.
Well played sir. :D :thumbsu: :D

They did.

Port Power gave free tickets away every week. I could give as many as 200 tickets away each week to kids at school. I could get free tickets to Port games whenever I wanted.

They did.

Port Power gave free tickets away every week. I could give as many as 200 tickets away each week to kids at school. I could get free tickets to Port games whenever I wanted.
So without the freebies there would have been even more tarps?

And did Port or the AFL give them away?

So without the freebies there would have been even more tarps?

And did Port or the AFL give them away?

Absolutely they gave them away. The communication was always between the school (e mail forwarded to me) and Port Power. I would usually take 20 to 30 each home game. One class at a time.

Absolutely they gave them away. The communication was always between the school (e mail forwarded to me) and Port Power. I would usually take 20 to 30 each home game. One class at a time.
Not doubting they gave them away, but it wasn't the AFL helping Port, it was Port trying to hide their empty seats

Not doubting they gave them away, but it wasn't the AFL helping Port, it was Port trying to hide their empty seats

I imagine the AFL would have had to sanction the free ticket give aways. So, they would have helped them in some way.

Port would not be looking at giving tickets away anymore.

Hasn't keefy Thomas turned into the ultimate Judas. Seems he forgot he played for Norwood. Thankfully alot of Norwood supporters think the same.

Hasn't keefy Thomas turned into the ultimate Judas. Seems he forgot he played for Norwood. Thankfully alot of Norwood supporters think the same.

What's he done wrong. I thought he was putting in pretty hard and fighting for Ports best interests. Kinda like the dead-set opposite of our departed Dear Leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back