MMA-UFC UFC 182 - Jones vs DC

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics

I'd suggest in a world where they want to build up a fighter. Horiguchi has looked legit in his three fights with the UFC and with flyweight still being very thin on talent, they need a contender or two to emerge. If he can get a KO over a guy people know off TUF, it would help build some hype.

Should be a great card. Gun to my head, I think Bones gets the job done in the main event. He's used his wrestling beautifully in the UFC so far and with a renewed focus on TDD (I read somewhere he was training with one of the best wrestlers of the last 10 years who's name escapes me), I think he'll have too much for DC in the stand up. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see DC either land a bomb or still be able to put Jones on the cage or on his back. Really tough fight to predict!

I think Jury proves he's legit by beating Cerrone. He's improved in leaps and bounds since his stint on TUF and his power and wrestling will help him get the win.

Pumped to see Burkman back int he UFC, but he's matched awfully tough against Lombard. If he can make Hector work early by using his wrestling I can see him wearing him out for a decision, but if Hector is able to pick his spots I think he'll dominate.

Gaudinot's more worthy of being on a main card than Edgar Garcia, who was on the UFC 180 main card. Even though it seems like ages ago now, Gaudinot did beat Lineker. I think it's like GT said, the UFC want to showcase Horiguchi.

Prelims don't do much for me. Interested in seeing Brimage, Jordan and Castillo fight but have no clue about their opponents. Dunham's cool but Damm doesn't interest me much. Akhmedov/Nilsson, meh.

Main card is sick though. Pumped for Jones/Cormier and that promo that's 2+ minutes long is awesome. The interview with Rogan and them two on the weekend was awkward and lame though. Not sure who's going to win but I hope DC wins. I've stuck up for Jones on here, because I wanted to like him I think, as he's such a good fighter. He just says and does so much stupid s**t that I've given up.

Jury has looked great since making his UFC debut (except for the Ricci fight). Being the first to finish Gomi by strikes is very impressive, even if it is a well past his prime Gomi. Jury must have some magical powers too as he won a decision over Sanchez. Cerrone's on a roll too. Should be a great fight. Jury can sometimes slow a fight down and reduce the excitement but I don't think he can with Cerrone. On the feet Cerrone will be going after him and Cerrone's active off his back if it gets there.

Don't care too much for Marquardt/Tavares but it should be a decent fight at least. Hoping and expecting Horiguchi to win impressively and I think Lombard will put a beating on Burkman.

Anybody think DC will go in with the game plan as Cain would against JDS?

Anybody think DC will go in with the game plan as Cain would against JDS?

I think DC's gameplan will be a similar one to most of his fights: close that distance and grind him up against the cage. If he can get the TD he'll definitely do that but otherwise he'll try and make it a boring grind. The psychological advantage will be huge for whoever can get the first TD.

Personally I think Jones takes this. I know DC's wrestling is off the charts I'm just not sure that he'll get close enough for a TD, should be a great battle though.

I think DC will want to do that, but will need to adjust to Jones' range. I expect Bones to use a lot of movement and oblique kicks (especially considering DC's knee issues) to keep DC off him. If Jones can chop away at the legs and take away his explosiveness it could be a long night for DC, but if he's able to catch Jones' kicks and put him on his back he could win very easily.

probably the hardest block buster fight to pick for the past cpl of years.. both have ways of winning.. I think people underestimate jones' strength because his fairly lean, but his ability to use leverage is second to none. I've got jones by guillotine. I just see jones having enough in his take down defence to create an opportunity for the sub.. DC will get him down but won't finish or be able to do it consistently.. but who the hell knows

probably the hardest block buster fight to pick for the past cpl of years.. both have ways of winning.. I think people underestimate jones' strength because his fairly lean, but his ability to use leverage is second to none. I've got jones by guillotine. I just see jones having enough in his take down defence to create an opportunity for the sub.. DC will get him down but won't finish or be able to do it consistently.. but who the hell knows
I think Dc will controll Jones like we have never seen before BUT Jones still has that reach and seems to be his biggest asset the only time that reach was eliminated was Gus and we saw what kind of fight that produced.

I think Dc will controll Jones like we have never seen before BUT Jones still has that reach and seems to be his biggest asset the only time that reach was eliminated was Gus and we saw what kind of fight that produced.
if jones lets DC control him by being to defensive and always looking to stuff takedowns he will lose this fight.. jones' gameplan will be to keep him at range and punish him when he comes inside..
gunna be a great fight and a great card

All good analysis here. Only thing I can think to add is that body shots by Jones could be a big weapon. Cormier got hurt by Mir with a body kick and I think there was another fight where body shots did damage (maybe the Barnett fight). Jones generally seems to attack low and high, with not too much to the body. He did drop Belfort with a side kick though. Obviously this method of attack would open Jones up for takedowns against an elite wrestler too.

If DC can get him against the cage I see him using a forearm in the horizontal position to push up towards Jones chin & pressuring the throat to reduce his capacity to extend or have power whilst against the cage. Add to that sticking his head under Jones chin (due to the height descrepency) during transitions he may well be able to keep him held against the cage.

Plenty of 'if's' but I think it's an effective way to eliminate Jones range & unique angles. If Jones keeps his range he wins, no doubt.

Can anyone recall DC being rocked from strikes to the head?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good analysis here. Only thing I can think to add is that body shots by Jones could be a big weapon. Cormier got hurt by Mir with a body kick and I think there was another fight where body shots did damage (maybe the Barnett fight). Jones generally seems to attack low and high, with not too much to the body. He did drop Belfort with a side kick though. Obviously this method of attack would open Jones up for takedowns against an elite wrestler too.
I think Jones will try and Wrestle him going with his theme of beating them with there own strengths I think this will be a bad day for him if he does

does anyone know how to find out what pubs are showing the fight? down in Port Arlington and I won't be able to see it unless I can find somewhere

I've had to travel a lot in recent years and I generally just google it. Make a phone call beforehand just to make sure that it is correct and you're all good.

20141230085808_1DX_5504.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back