Rohdey Speaks

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...dow-is-wide-open/story-fndv8s6g-1227161823643
After years of turmoil, Peter Rohde departs Port Adelaide believing its premiership window is wide open
After an incredible, 10-year roller-coaster ride where the Power went from winning its first premiership to being the AFL’s basket case and then its Cinderella story, Rohde yesterday walked out of his Alberton Oval office for the last time confident the club is on the verge of winning its second flag.
“I walk away thinking we’ve got some good times ahead of us,’’ said Rohde, who is leaving after 10 years as football operations boss to help run Executive Fitness Management and dab into player management.
More ......
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...dow-is-wide-open/story-fndv8s6g-1227161823643

After years of turmoil, Peter Rohde departs Port Adelaide believing its premiership window is wide open
After an incredible, 10-year roller-coaster ride where the Power went from winning its first premiership to being the AFL’s basket case and then its Cinderella story, Rohde yesterday walked out of his Alberton Oval office for the last time confident the club is on the verge of winning its second flag.
“I walk away thinking we’ve got some good times ahead of us,’’ said Rohde, who is leaving after 10 years as football operations boss to help run Executive Fitness Management and dab into player management.
More ......

Some great stuff in there from Rohdey about recruiting, resourcing, Matty Primus, Mark Williams and why/how we overlooked Nat Fyfe. Now he's leaving he seemed more willing to open up a bit.

Who is this player?

AC: The biggest blunder?
PR: The player should remain nameless but we once picked someone from interstate when we were very under resourced who we hadn’t interviewed and we learnt a big lesson from it.
We vowed we would never do it again. We took this fella late in the draft and we were very disappointed with the person we got when he arrived.
He wasn’t a bad person but he didn’t have the personality traits you need to be a good AFL player.
We now have a rule that we won’t pick any player we haven’t done our homework on or interviewed extensively because we don’t want any more surprises.

(I've moved this to its own thread as it is a fascinating insight.)

******* good interview- begrudging kudos to Capel.

I doubt this player ever got a game, such was their disappointment from the outset. So:
-Late draft pick
-Victorian
-Never played a game
-Recruited between 2004 and 2010

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I doubt this player ever got a game, such was their disappointment from the outset. So:
-Late draft pick
-Victorian
-Never played a game

2008-2012 from this quote given the "resource difficulty"

I often think about that period between 2008-12 (when Port finished 13th, 10th, 10th, 16th and 14th).

We were always going to face challenges during that time because of the retirement of key players and the demographic of our list but my greatest regret is that we didn’t fight hard enough for the resources we needed in the football department.

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A very good read. I confess to being unaware of just how under resourced we were during the bad years.

Well done Peter. You will be remembered well. Best wishes for your future.

-Late draft pick
-Victorian
-Never played a game
This is pretty much why I went for Ryan Williams.[/QUOTE]

I always thought we got Ryan Williams to help Boak settle in.
yep so why would we wantt to interview him if we didnt have the $$ and helping Boaky was the main reason we drafted him.

Let's settle this the bigfooty way with a game of Does He Look Like A Twat
Williams_Ryan246x316.jpg

Great read and Banner IMO

We knew Mitchiban was a Port supporter and shet tho, from memory we had Wangas as part of the greeting party at the airport replete with a signed guernsey, etc.

Besides which, he was stiff. Showed a stack more than another small forward who survived cull after cull forever.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I suggested Banner because I put the emphasis on biggest blunder in the question. While he says late pick, 42 isn't far off and the sliding, very talented interstater over Rory Sloane is a big blunder.

Also his delisting has never sat well with me.

Portress Hill

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
great interview, and very honest responses.

as for the player....hard to go past jacobs. i reckon the late pick part was throwing a curve ball. Reality is that if he is a late pick, its hardly worthy of consideration as you dont really expect much from the late picks. weve had plenty of those fail. there are a number of players we could have had that year instead, including the home grown lycett.

would love to get matty primus back to the club as an assistant coach.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rightly or wrongly Peter Rhode's reputation as a football administrator fluctuated from being seen as barely adequate, to not up to the task at all, by many supporters ( me included ) during the club's dark period.

As is regularly the case though there are two sides to every story, and there is no doubt the bloke blossomed into one of the best operations managers in the business, particularly when he got the support from the club, and the resources required to get the job done.

Not sure its Williams. He had 2 really good years in the sanfl and seemed to work hard to get the best out of himself, but maybe just wasnt afl standard. I know he was a party boy though.

Banner played some really good games, but there were probably reasons why he was dropped to sanfl reserves a fair few times.

Farmer was just a disappointment, here and at richmond.

There is no way we wouldnt interview a potential pick 16 player. Jacobs was a Vic Metro boy not someone who lived in the sticks.

I am going to assume Rohde is telling the truth re not interviewing but fudged other stuff.

Back