Poll NAFL Reserves 2014/15 - Round 17

Which do you prefer for each game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You have six votes in total, one for each game. Please don't vote for yourself or ask for votes, there will be penalties. Logo round is postponed for now.

Perth Panthers vs Logan Heat
Home_zpsa95dff33.png~original

Away_zps8764cd73.png~original

Brisbane Barracudas vs Alice Springs Pirates
wk4kfr.jpg

j6hncz.png

City Beach Sharks vs Geelong Dragons
CityBeachSharksHome_zps4d8a2d70.png

01DragonsHome_zpsa46dfa39.png

Port Melbourne Guards vs Devonport Spirit
preseason-Copy-Copy_zps74f0b29d.png

B2ZFDfG.png

Greensborough Golds vs Victoria River Eagles
GreensyHome_zps9373f055.png

VictoriaRiverEagles14RoadFinal4BlankAds.png

Adelaide Exiles vs West Sydney Tigers
15254729682_5813338ac6_o.png

2i91com.gif

This round is pretty much the top 6 vs the bottom 6. When I made the poll, I thought that despite that, all of the matches actually seemed pretty close and there could be some upsets on the cards. But, no, the top 6 teams are all absolutely thrashing their opposition..

This round is pretty much the top 6 vs the bottom 6. When I made the poll, I thought that despite that, all of the matches actually seemed pretty close and there could be some upsets on the cards. But, no, the top 6 teams are all absolutely thrashing their opposition..
And unfortunately, with the upmost respect to all the designers, it's clear to see why. The majority of the ones that are winning are unique-ish designs. The ones that are lower down are mainly template designs- that is, they are just recolours of existing designs in the UTT and ones that clubs currently wear.

This is the main design feedback I can give in this season of the Reserves; be clever with your designs. Use the templates if need be by combining, splitting and tweaking what you find to make new designs. With a bit of clever thinking, it's surprisingly easy to do

And unfortunately, with the upmost respect to all the designers, it's clear to see why. The majority of the ones that are winning are unique-ish designs. The ones that are lower down are mainly template designs- that is, they are just recolours of existing designs in the UTT and ones that clubs currently wear.

This is the main design feedback I can give in this season of the Reserves; be clever with your designs. Use the templates if need be by combining, splitting and tweaking what you find to make new designs. With a bit of clever thinking, it's surprisingly easy to do
Fair points, actually. A lot of the time I'm just looking at colours, for clashes and that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I tend to agree with this.

But I imagine most of the guys in the bottom 6 would be fairly inexperienced. In my experience, there seems to be 2 major factors in winning these competitions:

1. The balance between something new and interesting, and something that looks like a footy guernsey should. It's not always easy to achieve both but that's what you need to strive to do. Simple stripes aren't interesting enough, and something full of wacky gradients wont look enough like a footy guernsey.

2. Execution. This is about getting the details right. Using a good template, or even better, making your own. Doing the little things that add a lot of value to a design. Have a look at the guys who are right up the top of the NAFL div 1, and see what they are doing that you aren't. What can you add to your designs to catch you up to those guys? It's also about following tutorials and asking questions to get rid of things like jaggy edges.

Remember, everyone on this board who didn't arrive with a lot of graphic design experience has entered a competition and struggled. That includes Bacon Warrior who went 3-17 and finished 16th in last years NAFL, only to be sitting on top, undefeated this season. It doesn't take long to improve if you really put your mind to it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this.

But I imagine most of the guys in the bottom 6 would be fairly inexperienced. In my experience, there seems to be 2 major factors in winning these competitions:

1. The balance between something new and interesting, and something that looks like a footy guernsey should. It's not always easy to achieve both but that's what you need to strive to do. Simple stripes aren't interesting enough, and something full of wacky gradients wont look enough like a footy guernsey.

2. Execution. This is about getting the details right. Using a good template, or even better, making your own. Doing the little things that add a lot of value to a design. Have a look at the guys who are right up the top of the NAFL div 1, and see what they are doing that you aren't. What can you add to your designs to catch you up to those guys? It's also about following tutorials and asking questions to get rid of things like jaggy edges.

Remember, everyone on this board who didn't arrive with a lot of graphic design experience has entered a competition and struggled. That includes Bacon Warrior who went 3-17 and finished 16th in last years NAFL, only to be sitting on top, undefeated this season. It doesn't take long to improve if you really put your mind to it.
Or getting Illustrator...

I totally agree that illustrator or photoshop make life easier, but there are other, free options like inkscape.

Given what a few of the guys using paint are doing in the NAFL division 1, it's not really an excuse anymore.

Everyone is going to start out slow with their designing, but for those who have been around for a while and really want to improve, your choices are either to basically go all out and embrace paint for what it is and get the most out of it, or find a different program and learn to use it.

I assure you, you can be very successful with paint if you get/create a good template and are innovative with how you use it.

Yeah that's intentional. It's a tribute to Perths first Mayor, Búller Shitëisjíih. The red indicates the shoelaces he wore when he ate his first sandwich.
It's great to see some history incorporated in guernseys :thumbsu:

Back