Past #36: Joel Tippett - pick #8 '13 RD - delisted end '16 season - 7 games for NM - thanks Tippo

Remove this Banner Ad

Hansen has to play if he can. Simple as that. Thompson has to play one on one with Buddy.

I see Hansen as a bit of a rhythm player, wouldn't be all that confident of him coming in after an extended break and performing in a final. If he's training well though then you'd have to consider him.

Thompson to Buddy - Has done it before.
Grima to Tippett - Grima should have him covered unless he's getting it lace out.
Spud to Reid - Bit of a risk in the air, but I think Spud can hurt him the other way.
MacMillan to Goodes - Same as above.

The game will be won in the midfield and then how we use it going forward. If we make poor decisions going inside 50 they'll just send it straight back the other way so it wouldn't even matter if we had 4 Scotty Thompsons playing.

Normally I agree with you Harris.

But, you say we need to still be small, yet have one of our hbf needing to defend on a bloke 20cm taller than him. Wright not only would he get killed but they would take him to the goal square and our attacking run is gone!

Jmac plays deeper than wright and if he doesn't come up, Tippett is a straight swap. Lachie is cooked imo

Not saying we need to be be small, just think playing Tippett takes away from one of the ways we will win the game.

Sydney would be have meetings all week about about stopping our run of half back.

I'll also say I think Tippett will be a regular next year and as a player I like him, just dont think its the right way to go this week.

I see Hansen as a bit of a rhythm player, wouldn't be all that confident of him coming in after an extended break and performing in a final. If he's training well though then you'd have to consider him.

Thompson to Buddy - Has done it before.
Grima to Tippett - Grima should have him covered unless he's getting it lace out.
Spud to Reid - Bit of a risk in the air, but I think Spud can hurt him the other way.
MacMillan to Goodes - Same as above.

The game will be won in the midfield and then how we use it going forward. If we make poor decisions going inside 50 they'll just send it straight back the other way so it wouldn't even matter if we had 4 Scotty Thompsons playing.

If hes fit this is the way i'd go, but not sure he will be.

I'm hoping we go neither.

I would prefer to increase our run and make their forwards a liability so it would be Mullett in (or if Macmillan fit he stays in)

If we are to pick one, then it's Hansen first and Tippett second.

Not saying we need to be be small, just think playing Tippett takes away from one of the ways we will win the game.

Sydney would be have meetings all week about about stopping our run of half back.

I'll also say I think Tippett will be a regular next year and as a player I like him, just dont think its the right way to go this week.

This is why Hansen when fit is again so important. His intercept and contested marking is elite as we know but he has been a weapon on the rebound as well.

This is why Hansen when fit is again so important. His intercept and contested marking is elite as we know but he has been a weapon on the rebound as well.

No arguments, when Lachie is fit he's one of our biggest weapons.

The problem is, he's not fit.

Hansen easily if its one or the other. With ball in hand we have to be at our attacking best to win this, Hansen provides valuable intercept marking and run. He's short of a gallop, but valuable to our line up. Selection will be interesting, particularly since JMac appeared to be running pretty strong at training.

Thought here. What if we just threw one completely out of left field. Select Hansen and start him forward. Reid is inclined to go back to defence when Sydney needs a match up. Just get Hansen and Black to both get on their bikes and lead. Their tall defence is flimsy to begin with; try to isolate them with a Shaw vs Hansen-esque match up that we got against the Pies 2 years back and almost force them to play Reid down back or just back our midfield to win it.

Thought here. What if we just threw one completely out of left field. Select Hansen and start him forward. Reid is inclined to go back to defence when Sydney needs a match up. Just get Hansen and Black to both get on their bikes and lead. Their tall defence is flimsy to begin with; try to isolate them with a Shaw vs Hansen-esque match up that we got against the Pies 2 years back and almost force them to play Reid down back or just back our midfield to win it.
Normally i'm opposed to Hansen forward and don't like to mess with the structure, but taking a Hawthorn type risk is what we might need, good left-field thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the weather is as crap as it's supposed to be, we might be ok with Grima / SDT and Firrito?

It all depends on the ball delivery. That is the most important aspect of this game, is our forwards pushing up to pressure ball handlers and our midfield to not give up any space.

It wouldn't matter if we had Martin, SOS and Hellsbells marking the trio Sydney have if blokes like Hanners and Parker are allowed to kick 25m stab passes to their leads.

Tippet has to come in. Suicide if we don't have the extra tall against this mob. Doesn't look like rain will be a factor. If we take the risk and go in with another mid they will simply isolate our smallest tall backmen on one of there 4 monsters.

The Sydney games I have seen rarely have Tippett, Franklin, Reid, and Goodes, all playing forward together so the need to counter 4 KPFs is a moot point. I would argue that Goodes is no more KPF that our own Jack Ziebell, so I actually don't see much difference to our set up of Petrie, Brown, Black, and Ziebell. I think McMillan is the important one as he can play taller and take Goodes, with Grima on Tippett, Thompson on Franklin, and Spud on Reid pretty good match ups. If JMac is out then there are some question marks but Sammy Wright on Goodes is not a bad option. And if Sydney's meteorologists are on the money, then that expected precipitation will remove any need to even consider the underdone Hansen v inexperienced Tippett question.

Mind you if Lachie was fully fit he would be in in a heartbeat.

#36 Joel Tippett

TIPPETT%20Joel.png

Games: 4
Goals: 0

Summary:
It was a good year for, um, for Joel as he, um... Sorry, I was lost looking into his eyes. Anyway, the man who was labelled the best full back playing in the state leagues was given a lifeline by North Melbourne in the rookie draft, and after a string of good performances at VFL level, Tippett was promoted to the senior list and included for his first match as a Roo, and third overall, against Fremantle after Scott Thompson was suspended against Collingwood. The former Lion and Sun spent time on Matthew Pavlich, performing well as the team held the Dockers to just eight goals for the game. He held his spot even with Thompson's return, and like a revolving door, Nathan Grima injured his foot and a semi-permanent spot opened up for Tippett.

After a thumping loss to the Gold Coast Suns, North bounced back with a big win over the Brisbane Lions in Round 9. Tippett collected nine disposals and laid two tackles in a promising display against a young Brisbane forward line. A week later, North's injury curse struck again, with Tippett tearing his pectoral muscle in a tackle. It ruled him out for the remainder of the year, however his name came up in discussions for North's Preliminary Final against Sydney, where he was slated as a possible inclusion to line up on his brother Kurt. This never came to fruition.

Despite his injury, Tippett will be promoted to the senior list via the National Draft, signing a two year deal with the club in August. With Grima and Michael Firrito close to the end, he looks set to barge his way into the best 22. At 196cm and pushing three figures in kilograms, he could be the gorilla defender North Melbourne desperately needs.

Starting from the rookie list, Joel Tippett rose quickly to make his senior debut in Round 6 this season.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-11-06/2014-review-joel-tippett

He just signed a two-year contract extension, but Joel Tippett has been dealt another blow with news he’s set to miss another week of football with injury.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-08-21/tippetts-mixed-fortunes

Despite the disruption of a rare pectoral injury, Joel Tippett has made the most of his third opportunity in the AFL, with the key defender earning a new two-year deal with North Melbourne.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-08-19/tippett-resigns-with-north

524315-c9ee4b2a-ae75-11e3-b528-7118e9d3158e.jpg

TR091213MW322-e1404970029909-760x438.jpg

Joel+Tippett+North+Melbourne+Kangaroos+Media+cLdHL0rquoLl.jpg

Joel+Tippett+AFL+Rd+7+North+Melbourne+v+Gold+6NdL8mowqkXl.jpg

Joel+Tippett+AFL+Rd+9+North+Melbourne+v+Brisbane+n9HzhFuENTPl.jpg

Joel+Tippett+AFL+Rd+9+North+Melbourne+v+Brisbane+9GRh7FoWJojl.jpg

Joel+Tippett+Geelong+v+North+Melbourne+gsw08Rol5aYl.jpg

637899-d6564512-3ede-11e4-838b-bf46f1dce380.jpg

I think I recall getting in a slinging match in this thread last year that ended up getting deleted. Thought he'd be the same as he's always been at the top level - show a tiny bit in the few games he played for the season, but never quite there.

I may have been a little harsh on him. He might have turned out quite well without the injury.

Interesting article in the Hun that Tippett has put on another 6kg and is looking rather beastly to play on the gorillas since the off season under the orders of BS. Tips the scales at 100kg.

Think this is a really good move.

Scott Thompson and Hansen doing more intercept work and rebounding would make a very good back 6.

The full article from here:

JOEL Tippett called it “The Pit”.

There were no mirrors. No fancy weight machines.

Just heavy, old-school barbells, his trainer Joe Hayes, and sometimes his brother, Kurt.

For hours each day, the North Melbourne key defender punished himself in the industrial warehouse-style gym on the Gold Coast, helping pile on 6kg in his two-month off-season break.

In all, Tippett is 11kg heavier since arriving at Arden St as a rookie, nearly one year ago.

Physically, the 100kg Roo now feels ready to combat the gorilla forwards, and perhaps provide the missing link in North Melbourne’s premiership aspirations next season.

“We sat down with the coaches in the end-of-season meetings and we spoke about me putting on some extra weight to help me play on the bigger key forwards,” Tippett told the Herald Sun.

“Scotty (coach Brad Scott) challenged me to get stronger and put on weight and continue to work hard and hopefully I can do that.

“That’s the position I like to play. I see myself playing on the key-position guys down at full-back, and hopefully I can have a good pre-season and work hard for that role.”

Containing the marquee forwards was something North Melbourne had trouble with at times last season.

In the Roos’ three finals, blue-chip spearheads Lance Franklin and Tom Hawkins (five goals each) and Joe Daniher (four goals) each kicked a bag. In Round 16, Hawthorn’s Jack Gunston booted six.

To help stop them in 2015, Tippett, 26, has spent the past few months eating for two.

The 196cm backman would have at least three different serves of food for breakfast. Half a loaf of bread for sandwiches at lunch. Two plates of meat and vegetables for dinner and dessert, if he could fit it.

The constant eating was difficult, he said.

“I actually struggle to put on weight, so I sat down with our strength and conditioning guy and we worked out a bit of a meal plan and pretty much upped everything I was eating,” Tippett said.

“I was having two meals for every main meal and lots of snacks and protein shakes as well. And lots of hard work in the gym, obviously.”

For motivation, Tippett only had to think back to his coach’s end-of-season conversation, or look over his shoulder, at his brother, Kurt, training beside him.

The Swans full-forward was still hurting after the Grand Final thrashing form Hawthorn and was photographed at training last week also in supreme physical condition.

Joel Tippett narrowly missed the preliminary final showdown against his brother after falling as little as one week short in his return form a torn pectoral muscle.

Tippett had played four games and was starting to find his feet when disaster struck against the Cats in Round 10.

He made it back to play VFL finals, despite a frustrating calf muscle tweak, but didn’t have the match fitness yet to take on his brother in the cutthroat final, as the Swans smashed the Roos by 71 points at Stadium Australia.

It was a nervous week for the Tippetts.

“We spoke during the weeks and he (Kurt) said what are chances of me playing and I said I’m not too sure,” he said.

“When I didn’t get picked he found that out and we had a quick chat before the game in the warm-up, but there wasn’t too much banter. I think we were both pretty focused.”

An emergency for the final, Tippett sat in the stands wondering how much difference he could have made against the Swans, but his focus quickly switched to next year’s premiership quest during his daily workouts in “The Pit”.

“It was pretty tough watching, but it was a great finals campaign for us,” he said.

“We fell one game short of making a Grand Final, so that was disappointing for the boys, but I think we will be better for the experience.

“It gives us great motivation for this year and working as hard as we can to play finals footy.”

With North key forwards Ben Brown (knee) and Drew Petrie (ankle) recovering from minor post-season surgeries, Tippett has spent much of the pre-season minding new North goalkicker Jarrad Waite.

Both big men have points to prove, ensuring their early battles have been willing.

“It’s been tough playing on him this pre-season,” Tippett said.

“He’s moving pretty well and there are a number of tall forwards at the club, so there’s competition for spots, which his healthy.”

After previous stints at Brisbane (2007-09) and Gold Coast (2011), the full-back is hungrier than ever to carve out a successful AFL career at Arden St.

“The motivation never been greater,” Tippett said.

“This is my third crack at it now, so I feel very fortunate to get this opportunity.

“Hopefully I won’t let it slip and will have a good season.”

JOEL’S WEIGHT GAIN MENU

What Joel Tippett would eat in a day during the off-season

BREAKFAST

A bowl of cereal

Four eggs on toast

A bowl of fruit

SNACK

Almonds or mixed nuts

Protein shake

LUNCH

Four sandwiches (ham/chicken and salad)

SNACK

Banana bread

Protein shake

DINNER

Two serves of meat (mostly chicken) and vegetables

DESSERT

Ice cream or yoghurt and fruit

Protein shake

Could be the last piece of the jig saw puzzle, we've got the class, we've got the grunt and the forwards, now just to shore up the defence with Thommo, Hansen, Wright and Tippet and Atley, we'll be in the granny next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back