10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
#wadeforthetestteam

Could make it as a batsman alone I believe, but he won't give up the gloves. He should until the end of the Ashes series then make a decision. It's obviously not ideal to test a player through the Ashes, but we have no other choice really, he is the most ready for international cricket and Ashes cricket.

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
I doubt the selectors will drop Haddin until the Ashes. His keeping is going well and they probably think he'll be able to make a big score soon.

#wadeforthetestteam

Could make it as a batsman alone I believe, but he won't give up the gloves. He should until the end of the Ashes series then make a decision. It's obviously not ideal to test a player through the Ashes, but we have no other choice really, he is the most ready for international cricket and Ashes cricket.
I agree. Wade should be at 6 or 3 (depending if we drop Marsh due to injury or Watson due to form). Then give Wade some ODI work and play him in the World Cup. If he keeps well, I say drop Haddin.

Is Haddin the VC? dont think they will drop him.Brad might hang up the gloves at some point.
Only for this series. Clarke is captain, Smith is VC but with Clarke out, Smith is captain, Haddin is VC

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
No, its improved.

Anyway, for those raising Nevill as a chance. Surely Carters is worth mentioning too. Better record in the past few years, although isn't currently keeping. Certainly can 'keep.
Carters would be a late contender. Been up top of the run scoring lists & is still young, not sure how good his keeping is, is? it of a wade or Hartley standard

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I'm with Reaper. Hopefully Hartley or Nevill is next in line, with Whiteman seen as the long term successor.

It seems to be Nevill is next in line, which I would be happy enough with.
No, its improved.

Anyway, for those raising Nevill as a chance. Surely Carters is worth mentioning too. Better record in the past few years, although isn't currently keeping. Certainly can 'keep.
Carters would be a late contender. Been up top of the run scoring lists & is still young, not sure how good his keeping is, is? it of a wade or Hartley standard

Carters is a terrible keeper.

For others who have mentioned him, Handscomb not as bad but not test level keeper.

Both definitely have a chance of being selected as batsmen. Carters would be a great foil for Warner, much the same way Rogers is a the moment, but obviously more long term. Dour, will regularly see of the new ball, and can cash in with big scores. Depending on how 14/15 finishes off I wouldn't be surprised to see Carters opening up at the Gabba in 15/16.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
Honestly when are they going to pull the trigger on Haddin?
I would be surprised if he is playing in 2015/16. And unless the team suddenly starts losing (we really shouldn't with tests again India and West Indies leading into the Ashes), I would be equally surprised if he is booted before.

ObieWan

All Australian
Sep 14, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I want Hartley for 12 to 18 months until Whiteman is ready. CA have given Whiteman the tick of approval from what I've heard, but right now he isn't ready. Hartley is the best keeper in the country, but when he makes runs they ignore him then when he fails they say "see, told you he sucks."

They had Healy on twitter during the first Test and he mentioned they were "finished" with Hartley, so I think my dream is over. Don't think you can pick Wade, his keeping is awful and his batting gets overrated on here. Handscomb doesn't keep for Victoria, so it's a big nope there. Paine isn't even in the Tasmanian side right now so you can rule him out too. Ludeman is a poor mans Hartley with both bat and gloves.

So that leaves Nevill really.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
The problem with being a good keeper is people don't see the value of the catches and stumpings you make because they think every keeper should take them. But the reality is they don't. And missed chances can hurt teams massively.

And then there are other variables such as difficult which is hard to quantify. Haddin made 9 dismissals in the last test but really all of them were dollies.

It's only when you bring in a keeper who misses chances, and you see those second lifes go onto rack up big scores that you realise how much it hurts, and the extra 5 runs an innings the keeper is bringing in when batting, ends up being a massive negative.

If I could be bothered (I can't) I would go back through the Cricinfo commentary and see how many runs Wade's misses cost us. There was a couple of big ones which cost us 80+ runs, and quite a few others. His keeping has improved, but from what I've seen he is still prone to errors.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, its improved.

It has improved. Its improved a hell of a lot. But Wade's keeping is still trash. Its just far, far less so than it used to be.

And now that Lyon has finally got the confidence to give the ball some air and try to take wickets, do we really want to give the gloves to the bloke that could have ended Lyon's career?

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
I think Nevill will get the gig in the next 12 months, not sure at which stage though. Could be before the Ashes but likely after. Reason I've said Nevill is because he has toured with the side before and is in the top 3 in both batting and keeping out of the contenders.

ObieWan

All Australian
Sep 14, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The funny thing is he wouldn't even be the worst #3 we've had this year.

That said, you don't half arse trying to fix something, and Wade is nowhere near being a #3.

Back