Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

At the moment yes he is. He now has to get the facets of his game like physicality at the contest in order and his ruck skills better. If he has a bad run of form there is Lowden who is waiting in the wings and has a left sided style that the coach finds advantageous regarding our ability to be less predictable and having more options in playing style.

We will be much worse off with Lowden in the team than Jenkins. Regardless of what foot they kick with.

Lowden is a stand there and mark it forward right now. He has miles to go before surpassing Jenkins.

Harry Dear is the one to challange Jenkins for that spot, not Lowden.

We will be much worse off with Lowden in the team than Jenkins. Regardless of what foot they kick with.

Lowden is a stand there and mark it forward right now. He has miles to go before surpassing Jenkins.

Harry Dear is the one to challange Jenkins for that spot, not Lowden.
That may well be the case, but Dear obviously won't be ready. I'm talking more about the second ruck relief and the left sided tapping at stoppages regarding predictability. As a second ruck option Lowden may still get his chance on occasions when match ups are concerned on the day.

That may well be the case, but Dear obviously won't be ready. I'm talking more about the second ruck relief and the left sided tapping at stoppages regarding predictability. As a second ruck option Lowden may still get his chance on occasions when match ups are concerned on the day.

So you would pick Lowden, simply because he can tap the ball with his left hand?

So you would pick Lowden, simply because he can tap the ball with his left hand?
It's more a depth thing. If Jenkins is stinking it up and not doing the things that the coach requires, Lowden will get his call up. In the meantime im totally in favour of Jenkins being the number one ruck relief/forward as he has a turn of pace, versatility, hits the scoreboard. He is clever and has the ability to cement his position even more with added mongrel.

Posters bagging Jenkins have clearly forgotten Perrie, McGregor, Gill, Schell, Beinke...
There is no way Ken McGregor's name should be among that list, he was way better than them and does not deserve to be so maligned by supporters, played plenty of good footy for the AFC. It s not his fault the AFC took him before Pavlich and any comparisons are bullshit!!

There is no way Ken McGregor's name should be among that list, he was way better than them and does not deserve to be so maligned by supporters, played plenty of good footy for the AFC. It s not his fault the AFC took him before Pavlich and any comparisons are bullshit!!
He had versatility

Kenny was a better defender than a forward.

B brown hartigan cheney
HB jaensch talia sloane
C mckay b crouch smith
HF lynch walker kerridge
F betts jenkins douglas

1R jacobs thompson dangerfield
Int cameron, henderson, van berlo sub m crouch

Would like to see more class and hardness across half back so like look of Sloane and danger spending some time there as well as smith. Hendo can be part of mid rotation as wing/ outside run but also flexible to play sweeper half back and even fwd
Kerridge is a must across half fwd / mid rotation. Charlie Cameron gives us speed and defensive fwd pressure. The centre square of Thompson , danger and b crouch gives us ultra competitiveness and is fairly balanced with what they each bring. Lyons and grigg were a toss up with m crouch, but m crouch too good to overlook altogether. Cheney hardens us up defensively as well. Pods unlucky and I think he plays around 12 games for season. Wright not far off playing as well but not first choice anymore

Lever and wigg a chance later in year and McGovern a smoky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B brown hartigan cheney
HB jaensch talia sloane
C mckay b crouch smith
HF lynch walker kerridge
F betts jenkins douglas

Would like to see more class and hardness across half back so like look of Sloane and danger spending some time there as well as smith. Hendo can be part of mid rotation as wing/ outside run but also flexible to play sweeper half back and even fwd
Kerridge is a must across half fwd / mid rotation. Charlie Cameron gives us speed and defensive fwd pressure. The centre square of Thompson , danger and b crouch gives us ultra competitiveness and is fairly balanced with what they each bring. Lyons and grigg were a toss up with m crouch, but m crouch too good to overlook altogether. Cheney hardens us up defensively as well. Pods unlucky and I think he plays around 12 games for season. Wright not far off playing as well but not first choice anymore

Lever and wigg a chance later in year and McGovern a smoky

Think your pretty close

B: Brown Talia Cheney
HB: Henderson Hartigan Jaensch
C: Sloane Thompson Smith
HF: Douglas Jenkins Lynch
F: Betts Walker Kerridge
R: Jacobs Dangerfield B.Crouch
I: Mackay M.Crouch Van Berlo Cameron
Emg: Grigg Lyons Atkins Laird

Based on training reports so far.

Last edited:
B: Brown Talia Cheney
HB: Henderson Hartigan Jaensch
C: Sloane Thompson Smith
HF: Douglas Jenkins Lynch
F: Betts Walker Kerridge
R: Jacobs Dangerfield B.Crouch
I: Mackay M.Crouch Van Berlo Laird
Emg: Grigg Lyons Atkins

Based on training reports so far.

So Cameron doesn't even make the 25? I would have him in the 22 before Laird.

Kenny was a better defender than a forward.

Agreed, was an A-Grade defender who took some pretty big scalps in his time at CHB. Unfortunately he was at our club at a time when we had no trouble finding elite to elite key defender, yet for the life of us couldn't find a half decent key forward. Hence it was a case of "hey, you can take a grab, lets move you up forward". Same could also be said about Mark Stevens, Scott Stevens and Nathan Bock, all much more natural key defenders forced to spend time up forward.

McGregor was not a natural forward, in his last 4 years at our club, playing solely as a key forward he averaged just over a goal a game, his limited success as a forward was as a result of being able to take a bloody good contested grab. Perrie was a more natural key forward, its just everything else that went along with it, the injuries, the dropped marks, the kicking...

B brown hartigan cheney
HB jaensch talia sloane
C mackay b crouch smith
HF lynch walker kerridge
F betts jenkins douglas

I like the mix of this side.
Don't want M Crouch as sub, but I would still swap Crouch and Hendo around or dare I say it even VB as sub.

I like the mix of this side.
Don't want M Crouch as sub, but I would still swap Crouch and Hendo around or dare I say it even VB as sub.
Yeah , I like Henderson and VB as sub options , hendos flexibility suits being a sub and his run and VB could run blokes off their feet in last 40mins as a sub. I want m crouch in the team but need to be careful of him and thommo in same team and definitely wouldn't select him, thommo , grigg and Lyons all in the same side on a big deck despite the fact I like all of them

B: Brown Hartigan Cheney
HB: Smith Talia VanBerlo
C: Mackay Dangerfield Cameron
HF: Grigg Jenkins Kerridge
F: Lynch Walker Betts
Ruck: Jacobs Sloane B.Crouch
Int: Douglas Henderson Jaensch
Sub: Atkins
Emergencies: Thompson M.Crouch Lyons

Yeah , I like Henderson and VB as sub options , hendos flexibility suits being a sub and his run and VB could run blokes off their feet in last 40mins as a sub. I want m crouch in the team but need to be careful of him and thommo in same team and definitely wouldn't select him, thommo , grigg and Lyons all in the same side on a big deck despite the fact I like all of them
Think Thommo is going to have to start giving more time to M Crouch in the centre this year and he will have to start being used more as a 40% mid 60% forward so by the end of the year if he calls it a day then we already have a ready replacement with games under his belt.

I hope with Jenkins we try to utilise his strengths rather than try to make him into a Pack Buster 5000.

Walker the same. Strengths are leading, smarts, one on one work.

We had to recruit Pods and play him every week so that we could bomb it in. Perhaps we could try not bombing it in given that every other team values possession and tries to minimise turnovers.

That would be a bit unfair to the defenders. How will they know where to position themselves if we don't just heave it in deep with every entry. If we're going to win, I don't want it be achieved by being unfair to our opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back