General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

486234-steve-smith.jpg

Can't believe this guy is gonna be the next test captain. The Aussie team is becoming very difficult to support when everyone in the team is so unlikeable.
I don't mind the selection TBH. He has some more maturing to do but I think he has all the right tools to succeed. If Watson had locked himself into the team I would have preferred him, but he could be dropped from the test team as early as this series if he doesn't start performing, so it's not ideal for your captain to be in that position and the same applies to Haddin.

Regarding him not being overly liked. Everyone becomes likeable when they start scoring numerous hundreds for Australia. See M.Clarke for an example, I was at the gabba the day he was booed onto the pitch - must say it was very embarrassing to witness.

Even Ricky Ponting wasn't overly popular captain selection due to his off field actions as a younger cricketer (didn't he get into a bar fight in the very early 2000s?). He did tidy up his actions, as did Clarke and I'll back Smith to do the same.

Already feeling the on field loss of PH though :( Would have been a lock for this weeks test. Not a fan of Shuan Marsh in the longer form, I just don't think he is mentality good enough, but since he is playing I hope they bat him at 5 or 6 as he doesn't have a great new ball technique.

I take it you enjoyed that big stinking pick he just threw then. ;)
Almost as much as you would have.

It wasn't a bad game to watch at all.

Am I correct in saying that Ch10 are dishing up delayed telecasts of the Big Bash to Queensland??

Imagine how good we could be if we had batsmen other than Steve Smith, David Warner and Clarke (when in) that went on to big scores.

If Mitch Marsh is not fit for Melbourne, is Cowan the only choice??

If they get fed up with Watson, who would be next then...?

And these freaking over rates.... It is a joke!

And these freaking over rates.... It is a joke!

It's ridiculous isn't it? England were terrible last Ashes, but it seems to be an epidemic. Time for harsher penalties.

Really was a great little session watching Mitch come out and just take it to them. Absolute turning point in this test.

Smith a true captains knock, working the ball around, ticking the score over but making sure he sticks around. Really interested to see how they go after lunch, if they carry on or just bunker down after getting us back into the match.

Nothing better in cricket than when your team's tailenders get runs.

Especially when it's ratcheting up an unlikely first innings lead. Each run is just delicious.

Downside is that there is obviously plenty of runs available for all. We need to show a lot more intent and strategy with the ball than India or it will be a grind.

Still, the more runs we have in the bank here, the more attacking field we can set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it is the off season in the MLB, but I am really liking what the Padres are building.

AJ Preller, the new GM is doing all the right things to get an under performing outfit majorly competitive again...

Reminds me of someone close to home.

GO PADRES!!

Always happens, when Mitch gets runs he bowls well. Stuff bowling practice he should be practising his batting. In 2 1/2 sessions India have just about lost this game

Watching now on espn....

First time in history a team has played back to back triple overtime games I heard..

Looks like Dallas owe the redskins a nice christmas card after today. And the eagles for putting up 105 penalty yards. That's some serious yardage.

Yeah, big result for us, but not counting chickens yet.

Would be bloody nice to beat the Colts tomorrow and sew up a playoff spot a week early though.

The only downside to yesterdays Test was all the drunks. I went with a co-worker yesterday (sitting in section 19) and after lunch we were swamped by the "Official Australian Drinking Team" who proceeded to get drunk and start spewing as much sexist and homophobic rubbish as they could. It would have been okay if they were just there supporting the team, but most of what they were doing was trying to get the girls on the tier above us to expose themselves, cheering each other on sculling beers etc. Half the time I couldn't see the cricket because they kept standing up. Eventually we moved, which was good because one eventually got forcefully evicted just before Steve Smith got out. Not cool.

It's a shame that Text crowds are getting smaller, it means they can't afford to enforce higher standards of crowd behaviour. It's a freaking TEST, have some respect and save the drunken behaviour for the one-dayers.

Funnily enough T20 and AFL have somewhat better behaviour.

The only downside to yesterdays Test was all the drunks. I went with a co-worker yesterday (sitting in section 19) and after lunch we were swamped by the "Official Australian Drinking Team" who proceeded to get drunk and start spewing as much sexist and homophobic rubbish as they could. It would have been okay if they were just there supporting the team, but most of what they were doing was trying to get the girls on the tier above us to expose themselves, cheering each other on sculling beers etc. Half the time I couldn't see the cricket because they kept standing up. Eventually we moved, which was good because one eventually got forcefully evicted just before Steve Smith got out. Not cool.

It's a shame that Text crowds are getting smaller, it means they can't afford to enforce higher standards of crowd behaviour. It's a freaking TEST, have some respect and save the drunken behaviour for the one-dayers.

Funnily enough T20 and AFL have somewhat better behaviour.
Was there yesterday as well, luckily my student card hadn't expired because $40 for the cheapest adult ticket is an absolute joke.

Crowd was disappointing for sure, but don't discount the effect on the date changes on that. I know plenty who just couldn't make it that week. But below might just have an effect on the crown too.

Was there yesterday as well, luckily my student card hadn't expired because $40 for the cheapest adult ticket is an absolute joke.

The problem Cricket Australia have created is that they price the Test for to suit the Ashes. Every other Test playing nation just doesn't get the support to fill the grounds.

If there was ever a case for variable pricing, it is cricket. Sure we can pay more at games like the Ashes that have the demand, but when the others come out, maybe make tickets to days 3 onwards $15. Fill the stands FFS, the atmosphere it creates makes for better TV anyway!!

A lot of people come to Brisbane from regional and rural areas for the cricket. My mates who live in NQ booked flights, accommodation up to 12 months in advance. A change in schedule completely stuffed their plans (although they understand).

Besides, from what I saw on Saturday, 99% of Brisbane people were at the ******* shops! The

Remove this Banner Ad

Back