Best VPN to use - Need Help

Remove this Banner Ad

After today's govt announcement this thread is important

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...st-of-data-retention-law-20141030-11ehbb.html

So how can we set things up so that our real metadata can not be collected?

That has nothing to do about Looking out for Terriosim. It's just about helping there Rich Buddies who have Bribed them to so they can make more M
Millions of Dollars.

They say we Pirate the most, That because we get stuff last and we get Ripped off for our Media.

Hey, Tony fix that(Espically the Prices) and Piracy will go down a hell of alot.

VPN Company might make quite a bit of Money over this

After today's govt announcement this thread is important

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...st-of-data-retention-law-20141030-11ehbb.html

So how can we set things up so that our real metadata can not be collected?

There are pleanty of ways to keep your stuff secure (well more secure, there's not really 100%), the main thing is of course you have to be smart.

It depends on how far you want to go.

See, a VPN will keep ISP/Governement to seeing the internet traffic that is coming to and from your PC, but it won't cover the s**t you have downloaded on your hard-drive, they can still find that.

There are pleanty of ways to keep your stuff secure (well more secure, there's not really 100%), the main thing is of course you have to be smart.

See, a VPN will keep ISP/Governement to seeing the internet traffic that is coming to and from your PC, but it won't cover the s**t you have downloaded on your hard-drive, they can still find that.

How can they find stuff on you Hard Drive?

Wouldn’t that be Against the Privacy Laws?

How can they find stuff on you Hard Drive?

Wouldn’t that be Against the Privacy Laws?

Think about it this way. when you use a VPN, that covers your internet and it will hide you as you go to say Piratebay and download a torrent, but once that Torrent is on your hard drive, off the internet, it will no longer be covered by the VPN.

Software can easily give away your true I.P and it can be as simple as Flash/Java or a software that can expose your real IP and that's all it takes.

Last edited:
Think about it this way. when you use a VPN, that covers your internet and it will hide you as you go to say Piratebay and download a torrent, but once that Torrent is on your hard drive, off the internet, it will no longer be covered by the VPN.

Software can easily give away your true I.P and it can be as simple as Flash/Java or a software that can expose your real IP and that's all it takes.

Then why even bother trying to hide yourself IF it that easy to get your real IP anyway?

They have to Raid your house to get to your Hard-Drive?

Then why even bother trying to hide yourself IF it that easy to get your real IP anyway?

They have to Raid your house to get to your Hard-Drive?

Well because we've only been discussing one side of security here. We haven't gone into the other side where you hide the rest of your stuff. :)

For raiding, I believe (now I'm speculating here) the only reason they take your physical hard-drive is

1. for evidence in court (if you did illegal stuff)
2. so you can't cover your tracks (delete or encrypt it or just throw the drive out)
3. Coz hacking is indeed illegal

But if I was just some joe schmoo and I wanted to hack your PC then no I don't need your hardrive just your I.P and I can take everything and you won't know.

So that's also where a VPN comes in handy so you leave less footprints while you surf online making it harder to find you in the first place (assuming the rest of your activities are smart)

Well because we've only been discussing one side of security here. We haven't gone into the other side where you hide the rest of your stuff. :)

For raiding, I believe (now I'm speculating here) the only reason they take your physical hard-drive is

1. for evidence in court (if you did illegal stuff)
2. so you can't cover your tracks (delete or encrypt it or just throw the drive out)
3. Coz hacking is indeed illegal

But if I was just some joe schmoo and I wanted to hack your PC then no I don't need your hardrive just your I.P and I can take everything and you won't know.

So that's also where a VPN comes in handy so you leave less footprints while you surf online making it harder to find you in the first place (assuming the rest of your activities are smart)

Well - I dare say 95% of People would have something Illegal on there Computer. Like Downloadeed a Youtube Video or Something.

I don’t know how to Hack and I really do not want to.

Yeah - Security would be another reason for VPN

I'm sure they have been trying this for a long time. They'll never block everything.

and Silly Thing it would Drive more People back to Using Torrents to get there Movies. IF they can’t pay for a Service like NetFlix to get there stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to download something and then transfer it to an external hardrive and then delete it from my computer and empty my recycle bin would that be enough to keep it from sending out a signal that I have it?

If I was to download something and then transfer it to an external hardrive and then delete it from my computer and empty my recycle bin would that be enough to keep it from sending out a signal that I have it?

Assuming you PC was clean to begin with and you use a VPN and probably an encrypted harddrive. Then it would be extremely unlikely.

If you get a decent encryption on you harddrive it should encrypt files you download automatically and you actually wouldn't need to use a USB unless you want to, you can leave the file on your PC and it should be safe from 99% of stuff (although yes a USB can be an extra layer of security)

Again this assumes a clean PC that has no virus/spyware/software already installed on it.

Assuming you PC was clean to begin with and you use a VPN and probably an encrypted harddrive. Then it would be extremely unlikely.

If you get a decent encryption on you harddrive it should encrypt files you download automatically and you actually wouldn't need to use a USB unless you want to, you can leave the file on your PC and it should be safe from 99% of stuff (although yes a USB can be an extra layer of security)

Again this assumes a clean PC that has no virus/spyware/software already installed on it.

and Stop Seeding IF you are using torrents.

IF you download something. Your Ip be Connect to the who Downloaded it

and Stop Seeding IF you are using torrents.

IF you download something. Your Ip be Connect to the who Downloaded it

Correct.

If you want to go a step further in privacy in downloading movies and music, I would recommend looking into specific usenets. Can cost money but is more anonymous then Torrents.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) downloading isn't in any way illegal - uploading is, but using torrents you are forced to upload while downloading. I don't see how having something on your hard drive is illegal if you're not distributing it.

Correct.

If you want to go a step further in privacy in downloading movies and music, I would recommend looking into specific usenets. Can cost money but is more anonymous then Torrents.

Never Used Usernet so what makes it more anonymous and the Cost is bit of a Turn Away

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) downloading isn't in any way illegal - uploading is, but using torrents you are forced to upload while downloading. I don't see how having something on your hard drive is illegal if you're not distributing it.

Ask the Hollywood that and they have different stories

We're talking about downloading illegal torrents though, not normal files. I'm no lawyer but as I understand you're still stealing intellectual property.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back