Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some or most of the philosophies at port came from Richie and Walsh in the first place.
I don't doubt that Ken has learnt from both Richardson and Walsh while he worked with them. He would be silly not to. But Ken has been consistent with his coaching style and philosophies from his Day 1 press conference and through all the coaching panel changes at Port, and, if you listen to players he coached previously, he has some methods and beliefs that he has coached by forever.

AlbertonBloke

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can have the best coaches,people behind the scenes,tons of members and a massive cheque book but if the players don't want to be better and don't buy into what you're teaching you are as good as finished.

stanmack

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2009
Mitchell Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't doubt that Ken has learnt from both Richardson and Walsh while he worked with them. He would be silly not to. But Ken has been consistent with his coaching style and philosophies from his Day 1 press conference and through all the coaching panel changes at Port, and, if you listen to players he coached previously, he has some methods and beliefs that he has coached by forever.
This is so right, all good coaches learn from those around them and they use them to enhance their own unique way of doing things. Having Richo and the Phil around would definitely be a plus for any coach but Ken is Ken and from listening to the bit of audio from the Vic country club that he coached to a flag a few years ago he hasn't changed. I would say that the people around Ken would learn plenty from him too.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Yeah, reading between the lines Walsh isn't much impressed by Catboy's figjamming. Delaying the process only to give the appearance it's a close thing, but I'd say Walsh had no intention of making Catboy coach from the moment he started there.

That would be the ultimate in magnanimity!

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty sure most coaches say that burst or gut running is the most important part of an afl players fitness. Not sure why Peter Walsh is claiming it as some sort on innovative coaching method?

I guess now that he has learnt he is preaching to a bunch of mindless drones that will believe anything as long as the person saying it has a blue raven on his shirt - he can pretty much pass off any thought as his own.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe some or most of the philosophies at port came from Richie and Walsh in the first place.
And maybe Sando wasn't the second coming of Bomber Thompson or Jered Petrenko the new Cyril?

Pretty sure the guy running your corporation said he would offer Hinkley a million a year - he ended up giving 1.1 million a year for HINKLEY's assistant so maybe you are right?

It is until I think about how Tim, Gav, Bucky and Herb could probably still fit into their old guernseys and then wonder why it is that my clothes shrink in the wardrobe. :( ;)

Something to do with the wormhole between Vili's Cafe & your wardrobe?

Something to do with the wormhole between Vili's Cafe & your wardrobe?

I like to blame gravity but there could be something to your theory. :D

At least it's not a wormhole back in time like in Stephen King's 11/22/63 or I could cause all sorts of mayhem. :p

Sneeky

Club Legend
May 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd
Great photo :)

10411051_1587068928181718_7067643836622084510_n.jpg
Stay away from my DP!

About the only reference to a Richie would be Lionel Richie where Walsh has taken his Say You Say Me approach to Adelaide.

1. Ebert
2. Wanganeen
3. Boak (trending)
4. Ginever
5. Cunningham

Whereas if the question was "Who was the best leader", the list would likely flip with Boak at the (trending) axis.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeh, right.
That's why Port continued to improve after Richardson left?

What's Richardson done since leaving? * all.
Good luck to Walsh if he thinks trying to copy Hinkley will help him.

Let me tell you one of the most important ingredients needed...culture.

The crows franchise does not have a club culture like the traditional clubs do, such as Port.
What it has in it's place is a business plan and a business mentality. Now, that might succeed, one day, if they weren't based in a backwater like Adelaide, and if they had the financial backing of the AFL like Gold Coast, who will win their first flag before the crows get anywhere near the premiership cup.

The Crows one day might create a successful club culture, but first they'll have to actually be their own club instead of being the SANFL's little bitch, and they'll have to actually focus on being an actual football club instead of worrying about Port.
But those things will never happen. Anti-Port is the sole reason the crows exist.
Doesn't matter if the crows finish the season second to last with no wins and a draw, as long as port finished last then the crows have had a successful season. It's pitiful.

Port exists to win premierships.
Crows exist to simply finish higher on the ladder then Port.

Dalphonso

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
1. Ebert
2. Wanganeen
3. Boak (trending)
4. Ginever
5. Cunningham
Here is where I beg to differ.
Gavin Wanganeen is clearly the best because he won 2 Premierships ,a Brownlow medal and I think a B&F at Port in the highest competition playable in the land .The AFL.
Everyones favorite Russell Ebert won 4 Magarey medals,numerous best and fairests and countless other awards in a glittered SANFL career.We have been through this many times and I have been vilified before but the SANFL at the time as much as people may like to argue,was the second best league in the land behind the then VFL.Russell played one season of VFL where he played well but didn't take out any major awards.
So my order would be
Wanganeen
Boak
Ebert
Cunningham
Ginever.
Bucky Cunningham was a great rover and in my eyes was a far better player than Timmy Ginever in a stronger league at the time in the 70's .That was when only a few went to the VFL.Not every second decent player as in the late 80's early 90's weakening the quality of competition..

Would be hard to go past Timmy. What a warrior he was.

Led from the front....
Started a couple of the grand final skirmishes v Bays and Eagles IIRC to slow them down?

Also the quote from 89 'one goal in mind' GF I alwayz remember "the RAA came at 1/2 time to jump start the Roosters engine room"

Last edited:
Here is where I beg to differ.
Gavin Wanganeen is clearly the best because he won 2 Premierships ,a Brownlow medal and I think a B&F at Port in the highest competition playable in the land .The AFL.
Everyones favorite Russell Ebert won 4 Magarey medals,numerous best and fairests and countless other awards in a glittered SANFL career.We have been through this many times and I have been vilified before but the SANFL at the time as much as people may like to argue,was the second best league in the land behind the then VFL.Russell played one season of VFL where he played well but didn't take out any major awards.
So my order would be
Wanganeen
Boak
Ebert
Cunningham
Ginever.
Bucky Cunningham was a great rover and in my eyes was a far better player than Timmy Ginever in a stronger league at the time in the 70's .That was when only a few went to the VFL.Not every second decent player as in the late 80's early 90's weakening the quality of competition..

Ebert commuted to Melbourne to play for North Melbourne at age 30/31 and ended up leading their disposals.

Coulda/shoulda/woulda and all that - and fortunate for us that he didn't - had he relocated to Melbourne as an 18/19 year old and fully immersed himself at that level he'd have won a Brownlow or two too.

In terms of pure ability and performance for Port Adelaide, Ebert is still number one (ahead of Tredrea and Bob Quinn, for mine). Wangas is certainly at the top table in the Alberton pantheon and had he played his entire career for us he'd be clear number 2, I reckon.

It's impossible to say what might have been but if he took it seriously over there at a younger age, Ebert could have won multiple Brownlows. In that one season he played in the VFL, Ebert played all 25 league games, kicked 15 goals, polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes (3rd highest for North that year, behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning), had the most disposals and finished top 3 for average number of possessions per game for North for the season (back when that actually meant something). All this done in his first and only year at VFL level, 30 years of age, and flying over for games after training during the week with Port.

Barassi was a huge Ebert fan and to now paraphrase Jesse Ventura, Barass don't impress easy.

If forced to choose I would pick Ebert ahead of Wangas but what a pair of wonderfully talented mercurial footballers. I'm lucky enough to have celebrated both their careers with Port Adelaide and am quite happy to simply put them in the highest pantheon of Port Adelaide greats.

Led North total disposals, second in average disposals.

View attachment 99208

Yeah I was thinking of average disposals, have tidied up - he was third but John Byrne only played 6 games. Thanks.

Barassi said in a TV interview that if Ebert had come over years before he did he would have been recognised as a champion of the game in Victoria (where it counts apparently ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back