Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

deeztreez

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's your thinking? Mines Sloane

Tend to agree. May eventuate similar to Hawks captaincy over last few years. Sloane similar to Mitchell...hard working and dependable. Then after a couple years hand over to Danger (Hodge) when he can no longer be denied...the inpirational match winner

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It can't be VB, who knows how he will come back. Walsh would not want to put himself in a position where he is carrying the Captain.

Our next Captain needs to be a standout player.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
VB needs to concentrate on his football, he hasn't been cemented in the 22 since 2012 and after missing a year his full attention should be on getting into it based on form, he can't be given a spot just because he is the captain.

Choosing between Dangerfield and Sloane is like choosing between Steaks or Blowjobs if you could only have one for the rest of your life. I think Sloane just gets over the line because there is less ambiguity about his next contract.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
VB needs to concentrate on his football, he hasn't been cemented in the 22 since 2012 and after missing a year his full attention should be on getting into it based on form, he can't be given a spot just because he is the captain.

Choosing between Dangerfield and Sloane is like choosing between Steaks or Blowjobs if you could only have one for the rest of your life. I think Sloane just gets over the line because there is less ambiguity about his next contract.

I'm a vego so it has to be Sloane.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
With all this speculation about Dangerfield and Sloane being touted as captain, if I was Walsh Id say FU all... its van Berlo and steady as she goes.

Danger does not deserve to be captain just because "he could go to Geelong" if we don't anoint him:rolleyes: and if Sloane is made captain ( Lets face it, he'd get my voteo_O) well, Dangerfield will have "his reason" to go...according to all the media bullshit that would spew forth from the media monkeys

So I say leave it and * 'em all.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Steaks or blowjobs? I have neither, but sadly it's only the cow meat that I've chosen to forego.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Would happily turn vegetarian

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the main thing is that we've got fresh eyes on this, both amongst the coaching group and at board level. I'm being a little bit optimistic here, but I'm confident that the guys in charge will make the right decisions. The good thing is that they seem prepared to be judged based on on-field performance. As opposed to the 'despite the team performing poorly and seemingly without direction, they are being masterfully coached by one of the best' type bullshit that emanated from the previous regime. Really looking forward to next year.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't really think that interview suggested that Van Berlo is out of the race/we're going to go someone else.

Seemed to try and keep his cards close to his chest, what I did gather from it is he really wants to see how the players lead during match simulation. Not in terms of dominating the play as such but I think telling others what to do/what they should be doing. Never really noticed this from Van Berlo before although it's very hard to tell as a spectator as well I feel.

Still hoping for Tex myself but I think it's still very much anyones gig.

I do like how Walsh treats it as a team rather then a bunch of individuals when talking about the team. Of course it would be nice to hear his thoughts on individuals as well and I'm sure we will (post game thoughts etc) but seems like he's really pushing the team side of things which is great. Not everyone has to have an impressive stat line as long as they're doing the jobs given to them.

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
I don't really think that interview suggested that Van Berlo is out of the race/we're going to go someone else.

Seemed to try and keep his cards close to his chest, what I did gather from it is he really wants to see how the players lead during match simulation. Not in terms of dominating the play as such but I think telling others what to do/what they should be doing. Never really noticed this from Van Berlo before although it's very hard to tell as a spectator as well I feel.

Still hoping for Tex myself but I think it's still very much anyones gig.

I do like how Walsh treats it as a team rather then a bunch of individuals when talking about the team. Of course it would be nice to hear his thoughts on individuals as well and I'm sure we will (post game thoughts etc) but seems like he's really pushing the team side of things which is great. Not everyone has to have an impressive stat line as long as they're doing the jobs given to them.

I also like the way Walsh talks team, and I was quite surprised to see his recent individual praise (premature I reckon) of Cheney - already talking him up as best 22. But maybe Walsh is seeing what he wants in terms of 'he understands the concepts and is a leader out there'. Hope it was a calculated comment.

I also like the way Walsh talks team, and I was quite surprised to see his recent individual praise (premature I reckon) of Cheney - already talking him up as best 22. But maybe Walsh is seeing what he wants in terms of 'he understands the concepts and is a leader out there'. Hope it was a calculated comment.

Also coming from a successful environment, he knows what it takes to win. Walsh would love that.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not enough love for Walker.
He has the ability to lift those around him more than any other player you have on your list atm including Sloane and Danger.

Have no idea what he is like training wise or anything else, but if he is the type of person that would grow with the added responsibility then he would end up being a top captain.

Not enough love for Walker.
He has the ability to lift those around him more than any other player you have on your list atm including Sloane and Danger.

Have no idea what he is like training wise or anything else, but if he is the type of person that would grow with the added responsibility then he would end up being a top captain.
Think it will quell the character that is tex. Ie. Speaking his mind & keeping it real. Make him dvc with Talia.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah agree with that.

To me it also suggested how far behind our players are with the idea of 'team defence'. What Cheney does now as second nature the others are still learning which has him far ahead of them. Sort of why I think Walsh said there's still plenty of time to go before anyone is locked in as they can still improve on those areas and catch up. At least that's sort of what I gathered from that.

knobby

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I hope it is Rory, just upgraded to captains club membership !

Will get the mrs along to a few events if it is him, hope he brings his mrs as well !

Back