Your worst day in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a robust 65kg wide playing wingman, I have to agree that nearly every game in D Grade was my worst day.

Need to add Thomastown, Glenhuntly, Brunswick and West Brunswick into the mix.

I agree that Wellsy and Stretch made me feel a little more comfortable.

The good old days.

....imagine the poor little kids at LaTrobe uni!!!! Even we used to get tough with them Max!

I remember playing in the seconds for coburg amatures back in the 80's and we were playing wesley collage at their home ground and the wesley boys were hanging s**t on us for being convicts and scum as our home ground was just down the road from pentrige well the boys did not take too kindly to this and started to beat every collage boy that got near the ball. The wesley blokes were going off bleeding and feining injuries and would not come back on the ground i think they finished the game with about 10 or 12 blokes on the park

playing for OEG last year against old haileybury filling in as they were short on players for the final game of the year and severely aggrivating my patella tendonitis

De La Salle v Old Scotch, many moons ago.
Both sides have to win to make the four.
You know those days when nothing goes right?
Scrine2’s day doesn’t start well, huge bust up with girlfriend, dog has to be put down, car catches fire on the way to game.
Huge build up to game, McCarthur Allen gives one of those speeches which have you frothing at the mouth.

Some 30 mins before the game Ben Mannix rocks up after spending the last 3 months playing in the WAFL, living with Paul Peos.
Looking as though he is still half asleep, Mannix kicks five in the first term and De La skip away to a seven goal lead.

But then things go wrong. Mannix gets injured, one of our all time greats Andrew Mackintosh breaks his leg, the sound of which is heard in Pascoe Vale. Scribe2 is reported for charging (and gets four weeks) after sending some little Scotsman halfway to Edinburgh.

Scotch chip away at our lead courtesy of the worst umpiring ever seen in the VAFA. The two umps are Peter Gersch and Martin Jackson. I will never forget their names.

De La up by 5 points, 30 seconds to go.

Enter a man named Rohan “Plugger” Aujard, who has barely been sighted for about three years. With the ball deep in Scotch’s forward line, Aujard sprints down with his ridiculous, chest pumped out running style and, in the worst decision ever made in a football match, umpire Jackson awards a free kick for De La “having two ruckmen”.(??????)
Chaos ensues, as De La supporters run on the field to remonstrate. Aujard slots the goal as siren sounds. Umpires almost murdered.
A dark day for football.
So notwithstanding the fact that your pro ring-in, er, someone 'Mannix', acquired some sort of injury (or maybe he was just like, kind-a really tired..). And then, that 'one-of-your-all-time-greats' (er, I never heard of him (but sure, 'great' is entirely subjective)) has succumbed to a broken leg (did it break by itself? Or did that happen following an all too violent collision with a player from the other team..) (Ow! That hurt! Stop being so rough!!). Oh the pain and the sadness. And I get it: not from losing. But the realization that there stands before you in your colours a team of soft men who lack the heart and spirit where sure, so many other mediocre and disappointing and failing men would have even in their place actually stood up and have been counted.

So notwithstanding the fact that your pro ring-in, er, someone 'Mannix', acquired some sort of injury (or maybe he was just like, kind-a really tired..). And then, that 'one-of-your-all-time-greats' (er, I never heard of him (but sure, 'great' is entirely subjective)) has succumbed to a broken leg (did it break by itself? Or did that happen following an all too violent collision with a player from the other team..) (Ow! That hurt! Stop being so rough!!). Oh the pain and the sadness. And I get it: not from losing. But the realization that there stands before you in your colours a team of soft men who lack the heart and spirit where sure, so many other mediocre and disappointing and failing men would have even in their place actually stood up and have been counted.

Brother Max,

Must be a quite Christmas, responding to a post from 9 years ago.

Max "the one and only" Leader

Brother Max,

Brother Max,

Er. As u wish then, 'Quite' it is.. And maybe, like just possibly, choosing to respond to a comment relating to a post from 9 yrs ago might be regarded by some as evidence that ur life is prolly not too busy yourself with u having to get yourself all oiled up in the company of Victoria Secret models?...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

first practise match before the season, broke my arm in the first quarter and missed till midway through the year.
Was struggling to walk after my first game back, went to the doctors, stress fracture, can't play until grand final week, if we made it.
Had to watch the team get rolled by the umpires in the Semis.
Had to watch the team get rolled by the umpires in the 2nd chance game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back