Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ball movement now is it.... We were talking leg speed and the actual foot speed of the port players, not their hard running or their speed of ball movement, I'm sure your just mistaken and looked to have a crack,

As you can't offer up anything constructive I will assume you made a mistake and concede you were wrong if not please tell me who all the speedsters at port are? As I said 3/4 of their side that played in that EF are not fast by foot and I would be interested in their U18 sprint times.

So unless you have anything to offer in debate move on....

The secret behind Port Adelaide’s elite fitness level is gut busting pre-season employed by world-class fitness guru Darren Burgess.

It's a heading from an article on the HS website. 3rd youngest list in the league. But nah, they aint quick.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Oh ball movement now is it.... We were talking leg speed and the actual foot speed of the port players, not their hard running or their speed of ball movement, I'm sure your just mistaken and looked to have a crack,

As you can't offer up anything constructive I will assume you made a mistake and concede you were wrong if not please tell me who all the speedsters at port are? As I said 3/4 of their side that played in that EF are not fast by foot and I would be interested in their U18 sprint times.

But wait, there's more........

They are the words that have been burned into the psyche of every player who pulls on the Port Adelaide jumper.

It is the motto of a man named Darren Burgess — the fitness boss who has moulded the Power’s aerobic supremacy and turned it into the club’s weapon of mass destruction.

FROM BASKET CASE TO AFL POWER

TAKING NOTES FROM THE CAT EMPIRE

If coach Ken Hinkley is the face of the fastest-finishing side in footy then Burgess, a modest, well-travelled family man just shy of 40, is its architect.

A 14th-place basket case in 2012, the Power’s resurgence is epitomised by the fact it has won five games after trailing at three quarter-time in the past two years — the most of any team. Already this season Port has overrun Carlton (Round 1) and West Coast (Round 5), while kicking 7.2 to Adelaide’s 3.2 in the last term of the Round 2 Showdown.

Darren Burgess fronts the media at Alberton Oval.
Darren Burgess fronts the media at Alberton Oval.
Since Hinkley, Burgess and company took over at the start of 2013, the Power have outscored the opposition in fourth quarters by a total of 269 points — second only to premier Hawthorn.
At a club whose regeneration has been widespread, it’s Port Adelaide’s powerful, hard-running finales that are leaving us breathless. All this from the third-youngest side in the competition.

Pffffft, what would Sam Mitchell know? He's no keyboard superstar like my man Tango.

PORT Adelaide’s need for speed might have blown away Fremantle on Saturday but Sam Mitchell says Hawthorn’s line-breakers can’t be underestimated in Saturday’s preliminary final.

Sam Mitchell is quick with mind. Picture: Michael Klein
Sam Mitchell is quick with mind. Picture: Michael Klein
The Power ran all over Fremantle in the second half of their semi-final to set up a dangerous match-up for Hawthorn at the MCG.

Former Hawks captain Mitchell might just be the slowest player in Hawthorn’s side but those who believe the Hawks lack pace write them off at their peril.

Mitchell said Hawthorn would hope to win the inside contests that stop the Power’s run but also hand Port Adelaide some of their own medicine.

“They were really impressive, Port Adelaide. Both teams were a bit scratchy early and then Freo settled quicker but Port Adelaide were able to still take the game away from them and probably deserved to win in the end.

“We will have a close look at them. We have tracked all the sides all year we consider to be elite and Port Adelaide is in that bracket so we have watched them pretty closely all year. We have only played them once and they got the better of us (in Round 10 so it’s all on the line.

“(We hope to win) with our pressure but also the run of our own. We have got some pretty decent runners of our own on the outside of the contest.

“People point to our deficiencies in the running game but if we did a running test with Isaac Smith and Brad Hill and Liam Shiels, those guys would go pretty well.”

Now, i'm no expert like you, but, i found this an interesting little snippet in a write up before the Port/hawthorn final. Now, i'm pretty sure the word "elite" is mentioned. Let me know when you read it ;)

Will Cyril Rioli play?

The electrifying small forward needs to train fully this week to be considered. If he gets the green light from the medical staff, the Hawks then have to weigh up whether his body can be trusted on the big stage. Teams that lose players early in finals don't have a good record, and Alastair Clarkson will take that very seriously. Rioli has not played since injuring one of his troublesome hamstrings in round 15. That's 10 weeks ago. The idea of using him as the sub has been floated, but what happens if the Hawks get an injury early and then Rioli comes on and his body fails him again? Port has elite pace on the outside, so having someone like Rioli to run down those Power midfielders would be useful.

You play with the bull, you get the horns. I can keep this up as long as you want. You're wrong, i'm right. Accept it and move on.

Sorry Tang my man, i can't resist. In this piece, it even mentions something about ball movement. Again, let me know when you read it. We can't all be wrong can we?

sport
The power to win
May 23, 2014

From basket-case to premiership contender, Josh Schonafinger thinks that Port Adelaide are the real deal in season 2014.
It’s September 7, 2013, and the Collingwood Magpies are raging favourites to beat Port Adelaide in the second elimination final at the MCG.

Nobody has tipped the Power, but they led at every break.

Ken Hinkley’s side emerged victorious and in an unbelievable turnaround, they win a final in the same year they were short odds to finish bottom four.

Now fast forward to April 27, 2014, where the Power dismantle the unbeaten Cats at home by 40 points.

Fast ball movement, smart forwards and a list that boasts elite endurance have elevated this Port Adelaide outfit to top of the table at the first interval of the season.

100%. This is no problems going forward. 2 options - take a piece of the heel and graft it too the broken bone or just take the bone away. Easy option as it can't flair again if it is not there.

He roomed with Cotchin on the Townsville trip - he has a good understanding of the expectations when you are part of the Richmond Football Club.
I take you know him? Sounds like you have some insider goss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CB17 did you employ all those cyber hackers to invade our bigfooty site?;)

It was unreal, he started potting me two weeks later. I decided to take this noob to school. As the older posters who know my form, i'm pretty easy to get along with, but, given i've played since 1987 and only finished up two years ago and now coach and assist in junior development, like i'm gonna have this flog tell me about footy. Seriously.

That tells me that the Tiger's would of considered Duggan at #12 and the Ellis family would have known this and were nervous as they wanted Corey to stay in Melbourne - The thing that was missing in the Video was a "Go Tigers" Or " Yellow & Black" Scream
Well i'd assume the family were "opposition" supporters and i'm sure even if your son was drafted to lets say Collingwood(Mods don't ban me plz)it'll take a few days for you gun actually say *****wood even though you'd be thrilled to bits for your son.:D

It was unreal, he started potting me two weeks later. I decided to take this noob to school. As the older posters who know my form, i'm pretty easy to get along with, but, given i've played since 1987 and only finished up two years ago and now coach and assist in junior development, like i'm gonna have this flog tell me about footy. Seriously.

Keep going flog, so far you have mentioned endurance, out running, lasting longer in games, quick ball movement - all are genuine factors of Ports game style and concurr 100% that they have it in spades over most other sides.
HOWEVER.... the original point of this topic was how fast a player can run (ie) leg speed you goose... for someone that has such credentials you either cant read or cant understand the initial topic...

The points you have since raised are all correct, however as i originaly said players like cornes, polak, boak.... blah blah i named them in the OP do not have elite leg speed, elite runners maybe, gut runners yes and super fit yes... but the pint was elite leg speed... that my man means how fast they run, not how far, how long or how often.

As i said i would love to check their U18 sprint times to see how elite in "LEG SPEED" the whole team was..

Now you can dig up as many articles that you like that talk about endurance, fitness, ball movement, gut running but that is not what we were discussing.

just remember i posted a genuine post and you came out swinging??

ill wait for your next installment...

thats the only point i was trying to make, not sure if wires got crossed or if CB17 just forgot to take his meds but apart from this discussion i dont think i have even posted with him before?

anyway he made some very good points and supplied some great evidence to support the fact of how, fit and how hard Port run, unfortunately we were not talking about that.

Well i'd assume the family were "opposition" supporters and i'm sure even if your son was drafted to lets say Collingwood(Mods don't ban me plz)it'll take a few days for you gun actually say *****wood even though you'd be thrilled to bits for your son.:D
Nahhh - Id make him sit out a year and re enter the next year

But Collingwood is better than Bloody Carlscum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back