2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

To have utilities in McStay and Staker who play different styles of football and can play either end of the ground, if they can both fit into the team that should be very handy in a matchup perspective depending on who the opposition plays.

Still interested to see what Cutler develops into. Haven't had a good opportunity to see if he can do defensive jobs but he is a hell of a competitor.
I found it interesting that we were looking to bolster our rebounding defenders during the draft IIRC. Thought that was one of our strengths so maybe they are thinking Cutler could play somewhere else. We do have some players that could play that position in Rich, Bewick, Hanley, Adcock, Harwood to an extent, McStay potentially, Paps and Beams have been training there apparently... not to mention our new draftees in Watts, McGuinness, Beasly all have the athletic ability to play that role.

I found it interesting that we were looking to bolster our rebounding defenders during the draft IIRC. Thought that was one of our strengths so maybe they are thinking Cutler could play somewhere else. We do have some players that could play that position in Rich, Bewick, Hanley, Adcock, Harwood to an extent, McStay potentially, Paps and Beams have been training there apparently... not to mention our new draftees in Watts, McGuinness, Beasly all have the athletic ability to play that role.
I still think our drafting has a utility feel to it - think I've suggested elsewhere that part of our game plan going forward might take on a Hawthorn type style of heavy rotations between forwards/backs and mids looking for that 5min period each quarter where the opposition is in a state of match up confusion allowing a quick 3 goals.

I was out and about on Friday night, happened to run into Tommy Cutler, Dan McStay & Josh Clayton, who were having a few drinks after their last session. All of them were happy enough to head home pretty early, which I thought was very disciplined considering they don't start training until the new year. Tommy made a mention that he would be staying in the backline for 2015 whilst Dan said he was more likely to be playing a wing/half back role who can pinch hit in key position areas. His pace certainly suggests his potential to fulfill this role, imagine him & Paparone, both 194cm & playing winger roles - this excites me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bad as a hammy is; best possible timing with the main pre-Christmas running done and players now on their break.

Vital player for us moving forward so having two months before rd. 1 is good :thumbsu:
Immediately struck me after the injury news how important he is to us now.Might see a rise for him in POBT's list.

Immediately struck me after the injury news how important he is to us now.Might see a rise for him in POBT's list.
Interesting POV. Right now, I see 4 genuine first team players competing for 2, or maybe 3, spots. Merrett and Maguire bring different strengths (and weaknesses) to primarily the same role while I think we may see Gardiner get tasked with bigger defensive jobs in 2015. I doubt we'll play all 4 in defence at the same time. While Clarke definitely has his nose in front, I don't have him as a lay down misere for a round 1 spot.

Crazy talk.

Have a look at his record last year. Coming into the last two rounds he had conceded hardly any goals the entire season. With another year under his belt he should only improve. Him in there taking the number one offensive player allows the likes of Maguire to zone off and relax.
Do you mean, just like Merrett does at his best?

As I said, I have Clarke in front but not by so much that one of the other guys can't force him out given a better preseason.

Craaaaaazzzzzy, I know. Just craaazzzy.

To be fair we haven't seen the best of Merrett for a couple of years and Clarke is No 1 defender for mine.

The good thing is there is actually discussion about it, because in the past it was quite clear who our best 22 were.

As I said, I have Clarke in front but not by so much that one of the other guys can't force him out given a better preseason.

Personally, I'd want more than just a good pre-season from someone else to force Clarke out.

I think if merret plays down back he is our number 1 key defender. He has to be. Clarke is and will be a more than servicible defender but still lacks strength. Merret can match it with the likes of Petrie Cloke Hawkins in one on ones where I feel clarke gets beaten a little to easy (this should be corrected if he can bulk up).

Maguire showed in 2014 he can be really handy back up.

But to have 2 genuine KPDs in merret and maguire and an up and coming KPD in clarke is really exciting. Just my opinion I know people may disagree.

Bring on 2015 and lets hope our mids can keep it away from the back half regardless.

Think Merrett has to be our #1 defender. He hasnt excelled in that position the past few seasons but that is through no fault of his own being moved all around the field. If he is allowed to settle back into FB he will partner up well with Clarke as #2 defender. This allows Goose to drop off a bit more, and he is very good at reading the play and picking up intercept marks. Think he could be a rather dangerous 3rd defender as such.

Gardiner will be the interesting one. Do we start playing him on the taller types, maybe play him as the 3rd defensive match up leaving Goose basically as a spare defender? Or do we keep him going as more a medium type defender.

Yeah like Merrett at his best. You know three or so years ago. Bloody old blokes living in the past :)

Clarke clearly assumed number 1 KPD mantle last year and with another preseason he should still be on the up. Merrett still deals with the monsters better so he would get the likes of Hawkins. For everyone else though Clarke clearly is the superior option for us to get the number 1 forward with Merrett taking the resting ruck types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back