Hawthorn - three peat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than talk about speculative things like who might drop off, have an injury or have a breakout year to replace them here are some facts:

Hawks lost no best 22 players in the off season (Sewell was the closest but clearly replaced by Langford in the end).

Added best 22 quality players in Frawley and possibly O'Rourke to list.

Return of previous best 22 quality players Whitecross and Anderson - though no assumption they'll return at best 22 level. Essentially new recruits for 2015 given neither played AFL level in 2014.

Only one player underwent post-season surgery: Liam Shiels for a broken nose.

Every player (to my knowledge) is currently participating in preseason training. Only a few are on limited work loads.

As people have mentioned a lot has to go right to win the premiership.

Whilst we battled throughout the season with multiple setbacks, we were very lucky come the GF. We literally only had our best 22 available for 1 game, the Grand Final.

If we can have fit team heading into september, I am confident that we can go the three peat. Still a long way off yet.

I was convinced they'd go BTB.
They know how to win it next year, but better still, they know they have the list, the talent, the coaching to go all the way.
In a way, it will be great to see a truly great team defy the odds and get the 3peat, even if it is not my team.
I love seeing persistent excellence- Roger Federer like excellence.

Sydney have some list problems, were unable to trade, lost Nick Malceski and have a few aging players that they have no replacement for. They'll still be ok, but it's hard to see where the improvement comes from.
Tom Mitchell; starred in the reserves (racked up 64 possessions in one game!) but was unable to break into the seniors
Isaac Heeney; would have gone top 3 if not for Swans securing him with their academy pick
Mike Pyke; their main ruck missed quite a few games through injury

There's 3 players off the top of my head who will help improve them next year.

Don't underestimate your own team. Despite Geelong going threw a mini-rebuild the Cats still made the finals and finished 3rd in 2014. They'll be up there again in my opinion.

They actually finished the season 5th. North and Port finished ahead of them by virtue of making prelims.

I was convinced they'd go BTB.
They know how to win it next year, but better still, they know they have the list, the talent, the coaching to go all the way.
In a way, it will be great to see a truly great team defy the odds and get the 3peat, even if it is not my team.
I love seeing persistent excellence- Roger Federer like excellence.
I'm feel the same. Federer's tennis for that 4-5 year period when he owned the world was the ultimate display of excellence, it's almost inhuman to dominate like that. You also can't forget his his style and technique, the ultimate Tennis player. I'm so pleased to have lived through his reign and seen him play, pure sporting genius.

I remember thinking during the 2003 GF that Brisbane were playing another sport to Collingwood. That Lions team were so talented and so well drilled to their strengths, under the blow torch of pressure they went up several gears constantly in the finals. Hawthorn also have that similar ability to shift gears in games but in saying that... Geez it's tough to win it and without a ball bounced it's all fantasy.

They are a very good chance to do it, Sydney their biggest threat.

I do think we are one of the few sides who can go toe to toe with them, we seem to match up well against them for a reason that I can't explain. The last 3 results:

North Melbourne 16.12 (108) def. Hawthorn 13.10 (88)
North Melbourne 15.13 (103) def. by Hawthorn 17.15 (117)
Hawthorn 14.15 (99) def. North Melbourne 13.18 (96)

NM were the only team we didn't beat in 2014.

Depends on how players 30 and over hold up as do have a lot of them

Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne but think best chance as only real competitor that can pressure Hawks are Swans

Can't see any other team atm

Sydney have some list problems, were unable to trade, lost Nick Malceski and have a few aging players that they have no replacement for. They'll still be ok, but it's hard to see where the improvement comes from.

I have a suspicion that flogging Sydney the way we did in the gf may actually work against us. They have a very good list and you would think that if the scenario were to repeat itself they would come out firing.

Port almost knocked them them out and have addded an AA quality ruck. Depends how Ryder goes as the second banana, as he does not typically enjoy it. That is more than Hawthorn added.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell; starred in the reserves (racked up 64 possessions in one game!) but was unable to break into the seniors
Isaac Heeney; would have gone top 3 if not for Swans securing him with their academy pick
Mike Pyke; their main ruck missed quite a few games through injury .

Tom Mitchell was injured a lot, it wasn't that he was unable to break into the side.

Heeney might be good but still a first year player.

And Pyke played enough games, I don't see how a few more changes anything.

Losing Malceski, Membrey, the aging of Goodes, Shaw, Richards, and the inability to trade in should affect them. The only upside is a couple of young midielders. I feel that this is a net loss for them.

Though people keep on banging on about our cursed year with injuries, reality is Hawks had the good fortune to field close to 100% full-strength side in the grand final. Though we've got excellent depth, if we lose a number of key players like a Hodge, Burgoyne, Roughead, Gibson or Birchall at the business end of the year, then it'll be damn tough.
Freo, Geel and Port are the biggest obstacles Hawks will need to overcome

Though people keep on banging on about our cursed year with injuries, reality is Hawks had the good fortune to field close to 100% full-strength side in the grand final. Though we've got excellent depth, if we lose a number of key players like a Hodge, Burgoyne, Roughead, Gibson or Birchall at the business end of the year, then it'll be damn tough.
Freo, Geel and Port are the biggest obstacles Hawks will need to overcome
Of course it would be but also if port or Sydney lost their guns for the finals I couldn't see them winning either.

All 3 teams were fairly full strength in finals. Next year may be different but hopefully injuries and luck don't play too much of a part.

Incredible that three years ago Hawthorn, who were a kick off a grand final appearance, beat Port by 160-odd points on the MCG, and now Port are talked up as their biggest threat to a three-peat.

Right now there's no reason the Hawks can't go back-to-back-to-back, but that could change come next season.

Port almost knocked them them out and have addded an AA quality ruck. Depends how Ryder goes as the second banana, as he does not typically enjoy it. That is more than Hawthorn added.
That's an odd comment considering Frawley is an AA defender and O'Rourke a top 3 pick.

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, someone needs to kidnap Roughie or knock him out, otherwise they're going the 3 peat.

Just as an aside, do any Hawks supporters remember back in 2010-2011 being told that kicking game would never win you a flag? lol

To be honest, the critics were right, though. In 2011, Hawthorn was very much a high possession, chip-it-short type of gameplan that worked well in the home & away season but was exposed just enough in the finals to ensure that the Hawks fell short. Geelong were far too good for Hawthorn in the qualifying final that season while Sydney wasn't a match in the semi-final, Collingwood had just enough in the tank to beat Hawthorn in the preliminary final, despite Franklin's individual heroics.

After 2011, Clarkson adjusted the gameplan to incorporate more run & carry. After drafting Isaac Smith in 2010, the Hawks drafted Brad Hill in 2011. Hill didn't play very many games in 2012, but Smith and Clinton Young played plenty and were very important to the way Hawthorn played.

As others have said, will depend how much they drop off and whether any decent challengers emerge.

Port are biggest threat IMO.
Sydney could be driven by regret to not do whatever they did on GF day again.
Freo seem to be dropping off.
Geelong, so many changes, so no idea.
North showed it in patches but I'm not convinced.
Essendon decent but likely to be ASADAed.
Richmond played a decent half a season.

So I'd say red hot chance.

I'd have them as favourites at the start of this season. But favourites are still probably no better than 1/3 chance to win if you base it off pre round 1 expectations.

If their older players can sustain their form then i think it will take a bloody good effort to beat them. But its not easy to keep winning consecutive flags even if you are the best team - things have a way of just going astray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back