Rohdey Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

It was.
Marlon was a left fielder for sure and he came down from Darwin and I am not too sure if he was even at the 2007 AFL Draft camp to be interviewed. He definitely had some problems adjusting to Adelaide and could not get a regular game in the North League side despite getting a few AFL games and looking good in a couple. I seem to remember North taking him on again after we delisted him but he still did not make it. He then went to the WAFL. Some bits of the puzzle fit with Marlon but he was taken at #28 and Choco seemed to know a bit about him and had high hopes.
Maybe the name Motlop helped?
Maybe all the hype from the NT did too.
If you live here you get all that crap about how good NT players are rammed down your throat day in day out. For a while there many NT players were drafted very early because they were going to be champions.Most of them turned out to be let downs which is possibly why not many get picked now.
Richard Tambling,Marlon Motlop,Xavier Clarke,Rafael Clarke and that left footer that went to Brisbane then Gold Coast(name escapes me?)with exusite skills but couldn't get a kick consistently to name a few.

If you live here you get all that crap about how good NT players are rammed down your throat day in day out. For a while there many NT players were drafted very early because they were going to be champions.Most of them turned out to be let downs which is possibly why not many get picked now.
Richard Tambling,Marlon Motlop,Xavier Clarke,Rafael Clarke and that left footer that went to Brisbane then Gold Coast(name escapes me?)with exusite skills but couldn't get a kick consistently to name a few.
Hence Matt Rendell's Comments which had no racist connotations whatsoever.

Hence Matt Rendell's Comments which had no racist connotations whatsoever.

Very good point.

Chocco had this thing about finding a fast running indigenous defender. I think it originated from the time he coached the All Stars and had Andrew McLeod running off of half back. After that Peter Burgoyne, Shaun Burgoyne, Scott Harding, Danny Meyer and Marlon Motlop were all tried or recruited in the hope they would become that indigenous runner. We need to acknowledge that there are some brilliant indigenous players but there are some huge failures as well and because a player is indigenous and has big wraps does not mean he will make it.

I know. But I still hold out hope for that 2009 draft class.

Pittard is under-rated IMO, except for a few on this board. I often find when I re-watch matches with the anxiety of not knowing the result no longer present, I can more objectively watch individual players without being overly focused on their mistakes. Not uncommonly I catch myself thinking "Gee, I don't remember Pittard being that good when I watched it live". In the heat of the live match, I suspect many are guilty of focusing on his clangers, although in fairness there are usually no more than 1-2 per game. He does a lot of good stuff, and is becoming better defensively all the time. I think he's going to turn out to be a ripper of a player for us over the next 6 years.

Butcher - well. We had to take a chance on a KPP with pick 8 in that draft. Some would reasonably argue that we also should have targeted Talia and Carlisle with picks 9 and 16. It's a shame that he hasn't come good. I don't hold so much hope for Butch, but it wouldn't surprise me if he still plays a few decent AFL games before his time with us is over.

Moore - I think this is the pick we probably got most wrong. He may well still be a solid AFL player, but I've almost certainly ruled him out from being a star of the game, especially given his apparent lack of confidence and self-belief to really take matches by storm at AFL level. I suspect Moore probably has the physique and skill-set to be a very good AFL mid, but what will stop him from being a great player is his lack of ruthlessness.
Hard to argue against this at this stage. Hope it changes.

Very good point.

Chocco had this thing about finding a fast running indigenous defender. I think it originated from the time he coached the All Stars and had Andrew McLeod running off of half back. After that Peter Burgoyne, Shaun Burgoyne, Scott Harding, Danny Meyer and Marlon Motlop were all tried or recruited in the hope they would become that indigenous runner. We need to acknowledge that there are some brilliant indigenous players but there are some huge failures as well and because a player is indigenous and has big wraps does not mean he will make it.

As far as I know Meyer was not indigenous?

The one whos name I can't think of was a white eye.Just came to me .Jarred Brennan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are dreaming. Choco would have drafted Elliot Kavanagh because he'd have seen something no one else had. :p

Interesting inside the tent opinion vs fan opinion.

We’ve long had faith in our rebuilding process and the players we’ve brought into the club but it got to the stage (in 2011) when we began to think that maybe we’re kidding ourselves, so we got independent people to analyse our list.

The feedback was that we had potentially one of the better lists coming through. We just had to find a way to get enough games into our young players.

That’s where Matty Primus was so good. We were very under resourced but to his credit he continually played all the younger players.

He made some hard decisions, played some unbelievably young teams and we got some pretty bad results.

But I think a lot of what we are getting now, results wise, is because of the efforts Matty and other people put in back then.

What is perplexing is that we had to go outside the Club to get an opinion which was obvious to most supporters. I think sometimes you can get too close to the action and personal feelings cloud your objectivity.

Credit has to go to Matt Primus for playing some of the younger players on the 2012 list. We were playing too many of Choco's chosen ones and Matty dropped a couple of them to give younger players a chance. It didn't always work of course but it did give us a better idea of what talent was or wasn't on the list. Good of Peter Rhode to acknowledge Matthew Primus.

I
Wade Thompson?

Wade Thompson could have made it as he had natural talent but lacked the rest. I remember the pre season game he played against St Kilda at AAMI he looked sensational but that was about it.

Back to Danny Meyer maybe it was his suntan that threw me ? Next you will be telling me that Simon Black wasn't indigenous but that Darryl White was. :)

My 12 year old self highly rated Jaxon Crabb.
Top 15 pick fall from grace - now days can relate him to a Kane Mitchell with the special ability to win the sandover medal and but not be able to transfer the performance to AFL level.
He mustve played at least 1 decent pre-season game to warrant my enthusiasm, however I was a troubled kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back