Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

So the SMA in February go to Spotless and say we want you to tender a fixed contract cleaning and we reckon the average crowds will be 32k for Port games and 40k for the crows. Spotless probably would have said no way.

Anyway cleaning would make up less than 3% of revenue generated during f
Spotless do more than the cleaning. It's a multi billion dollar contract at nRAH (I think around $8b from memory, sorry haven't been in SA for a while).
And I have personally been involved in contract negotiations with Spotless (and other facility managers), they are more than willing to sign a fixed price contract.
As before, I respect your opinion (I don't know what your background is and you may know more than me) but I disagree from what I know.
In the interest of not derailing the thread, I'll leave it there, PM me if you need.

^^ Yeah I know a fair bit about Spotless. Dealt with them around a large component of the $30bil+ LNG plant Woodside was going to build north of Broome and their competitor the global company - Compass. So as of early 2012, I have a pretty good idea what areas their service businesses spread to.

Also know the O'Brien family who used to do catering and cleaning at the MCG and other venues until Spotless bought them out in 1984. Have met 2 of the 6 O"Brien boys who ended up as directors of Spotless and one of the brothers I did my MBA with who worked with Spotless for a decade and was in charge of all the Auckland venues for the 1990 Comm Games.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Spotless are owned by Pacific Equity (PEP). They had the contract to clean the last school I worked at. The State Government outsourced the cleaning and maintenance to Spotless and the standard went down, down, down. The problem was staff turnover. You would have a cleaner, explain what needed to be done then a new one would appear the next week and some of them were 'dodgy'. Prior to Spotless I had the same cleaning contractor for ten years and she knew exactly what had to be done. I guess it is the old story, the State Government realised that it was cheaper to have one large contractor clean 500 schools to an average standard than to pay 500 private individuals to clean individual schools to an acceptable standard.

Of course none of that has much to do with the stadium deal but as we are still waiting we have to discuss something.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
KeithThomasChristmasStadiumDeal.jpg

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spotless do more than the cleaning.

Spotless have recently bought out ACG National, the company that provides security at Adelaide Oval. Apparently for about $80 million +.
The new division will be called TGS.

Spotless have recently bought out ACG National, the company that provides security at Adelaide Oval. Apparently for about $80 million +.
The new division will be called TGS.
Good time to buy a company at the moment.

Spotless are owned by Pacific Equity (PEP). They had the contract to clean the last school I worked at. The State Government outsourced the cleaning and maintenance to Spotless and the standard went down, down, down. The problem was staff turnover. You would have a cleaner, explain what needed to be done then a new one would appear the next week and some of them were 'dodgy'. Prior to Spotless I had the same cleaning contractor for ten years and she knew exactly what had to be done. I guess it is the old story, the State Government realised that it was cheaper to have one large contractor clean 500 schools to an average standard than to pay 500 private individuals to clean individual schools to an acceptable standard.

Of course none of that has much to do with the stadium deal but as we are still waiting we have to discuss something.
I think Spotless look after all State Government facility maintenance functions now.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is concerning. At least the 2 AFL clubs haven't given in the the greedy SANFL yet
That's what I see in all this. The letter to members last week was a warning shot by KT. There has obviously been some serious talk since then. Both sides still holding strong... We just have to hold stronger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to cry into an envelope and send it to you if untrue.

I'm going to sh*t into an envelope and send to you if not true!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You also gotta look at the practical politics of this - hospital maintenance is on budget. AO maintence isnt. The government has150 years experience of trying to control hospital expenses. It has bugger all experince running a 50k stadium. It gave the SMA the lease as they have the exlerience so its the SMA's responsibility. The MCG Trust doesnt orgnnise the cleaning contract on behalf of the MCC.

Was involved in tendering for cleaning the G - met with Goughy representing the Cricket Club & John Wylie representing the MCG Trust - I was amazed as Wylie asked most of the questions. He knew his stuff, blunt & to the point.
We didnt win the tender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back