Training; 28th November

Remove this Banner Ad

Afternoon All. Was at training this morning, so thought I'd regale you all with my keen insights and utterances of significance.....

Grouped into players. If it isn't here I probably didn't notice a lot, but you can ask anyway...

Alex Browne - Did his hamstring right at the start of the session. Looked very minor, but went off straight away and did not return. I was close enough to Doc Reid to hear his thoughts.

Paul Chapman - HILARIOUS. Chirping away the whole time. Spent a lot of time with a group of younger players who were questioning him like crazy on his decision making ie. if you were kicking from here would you go the drop punt or the checkside? That sort of thing. Heppell spent quite a bit of time with him checking the ball. Chapmans instruction were damn good too......

Adam Cooney - I know I shouldn't be, but pleasantly surprised. Moved really well and freely. Had a good turn of pace and his kicking is just exceptional.

Joe Daniher - Ok. Brace yourself, this is going to get sticky. He looked AMAZING. They played a sort of semi scratch match where the ball was directed inside 50 to see if the forwards could win the ball or the defense would clear it. Daniher DOMINATED. Exercise would have went on for twenty minutes or less, and he kicked 5 or 6 goals. He's too fast and too tall, he gets the ball away from the spoiling defender. I hate heaping praise on him but he's a ****ing monster.

Shaun Edwards - He's quick, damn quick but a couple of times he seemed to not know what to do with his pace. Was boxed in by slower players because he just ran in a straight line away from them. Not sure about him...

James Gwilt - GREAT pick up. Was strong one on one, moves really well out of defense and his kicking is superb. Also lined up for goal kicking practice and would have been in the top 2 or 3 that I noticed for accuracy (Daniher barely missed a shot all day). I reckon he and Hurley are going to be serious weapons for us coming out of defense, and I'm now sold that he's best 22.

Dyson Heppell - Geez he's classy. Just somehow finds himself in the right position and uses it well. Spent quite a bit of time working with Chapman on his goalkicking. Was given Belly quite a bit of lip when he was lining up for goal.

Heath Hocking - No ball work, was doing laps of the oval for most of the time.

Michael Hurley - Looks fit, and a natural defender. More than one occasion was responsible for a super clean pass out of defense to a team mate streaming forward. The top knot is even more pronounced.... was beaten one on one by Daniher (not by much though).

Jake Long - Hmmm. Is very skinny. Needs a lot of gainz. Also needs to work on his kicking. He seems to drop the ball too low and almost stub his toe on the ground, resulting in a couple of too short passes. I can see why we rookied him, will be a long term project.

Conor Mckenna - WOW. What a great kick of the ball. And I don't mean just better than I expected due to his inexperience, I mean REALLY good. Was one of the kids with Chapman and was dobbing them from 45 on the boundary. Not just one, quite a few. Has a good size. Unbelievably, I could actually see him playing AFL.

Jake Melksham - Great day from Melk thankfully. Contested really well and showed really clean disposal. Was probably the best outside of Chapman when they all tried checking the ball from the boundary.

Zach Merrett - Geez he's clever. Consistently found himself in space in the forward exercises. Can not believe how far he slipped in last years draft. Although, on one occasion absolutely murdered the ball streaming into an open goal and responded with a loud 'AHH * IT!!!' before realising there were a crowd of onlookers close by.....

David Myers - No ball work. Ran laps the whole session. Looks ripped as hell though, which is good news.

I noticed a few other players if you have general questions, but the above is most of what I gleaned from today.

Oh, and my ****ing head got sunburn.

That's interesting on Edwards. One of his biggest strengths in the VFL last year was the fact that his side-step got him out of trouble very easily. Was he working with the forwards or backs?

Giles how did he go?

He spent the day opposed to Bellchambers, but where I was its hard for me to offer any meaningful comment on his performance. He did however have a few very nice set shots for goal later in the day.

That's interesting on Edwards. One of his biggest strengths in the VFL last year was the fact that his side-step got him out of trouble very easily. Was he working with the forwards or backs?

Yeah you have to take it for what it is though, one guy watching one session and occasionally looking at Edwards.

He was working offensively.

How'd Gumby look, Jade?

sorry

In all seriousness, thanks for the write up. It's not too often the board gets one of these, and it is very much appreciated by all.

He looked like a sexy, sexy bitch and I have the arse grabbing photos to prove it.

Yeah you have to take it for what it is though, one guy watching one session and occasionally looking at Edwards.

He was working offensively.
Hm. I see him as a long-term Dempsey replacement, obviously the coaches disagree. He's a massive talent though.

Reading that about Daniher - well that's some exciting stuff for all Bomber fans. To think Carlisle who kicked a bag of 8 goals in a match last year will be getting the second best defender really soon. The teams we played that got away with playing smaller but strong defenders on Daniher will start to struggle soon - as he gains that strength and is able to hold his ground.

Also Mckenna is already sounding like a fantastic prospect even at this early stage. I really hope he can make his AFL debut this year - i know that's a lot to ask but its the preseason and excitement and hope is in the air.

Afternoon All. Was at training this morning, so thought I'd regale you all with my keen insights and utterances of significance.....

Joe Daniher - Ok. Brace yourself, this is going to get sticky. He looked AMAZING. They played a sort of semi scratch match where the ball was directed inside 50 to see if the forwards could win the ball or the defense would clear it. Daniher DOMINATED. Exercise would have went on for twenty minutes or less, and he kicked 5 or 6 goals. He's too fast and too tall, he gets the ball away from the spoiling defender. I hate heaping praise on him but he's a ****ing monster.

Oh, and my ****ing head got sunburn.

74499-quagmire-giggity-gif-Imgur-S2Ln.gif

Fantasia and Ashby - Where did they play in match simulation - I expect these two to play lots of AFL footy.

Couldn't tell you, they were at the opposite end of the ground to me for most of the day.

Orazio got into a friendly goal kicking comp with Zaka.

Zaka won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone head along to training today?

Was there for a bit and was fairly underwhelmed. Think the mini break has come at a good time. Some of the players looked absolutely stuffed. They played a match umpired by AFL umpires (Leigh Fisher) before goal kicking practice. Still a lot of players kicking sideways and not listening to instructions from players/coaches, some got a good bake.

Cooney impressed me with his running and demonstrated a real burst of speed to get away from tacklers.
Daniher presented well and clunked some marks, kicking was ok. Geez he's a big unit.
Colyer was busy, looks very strong through the core. Confidence is up.
Gwilt was very good on Daniher and used it beautifully.
Steinberg was one of the best on I would say. Beat Ambrose and set up attack well.
Laverde played half the match and looks classy, i'd expect him to play round 1.
Chapman was busy and was giving good instruction.
McKernan was more than useful, beat Bellchambers several times and took some very strong contested marks. He's clearly shorter but a big unit.
Fantasia appears to have 'it', runs well and uses it well. Very vocal on the sidelines.

Overall though in my opinion, they were fairly ordinary. A lot of dropped marks and rubbish kicks to targets and goals. They were also very slow in moving the ball forward. Barely noticed Jackson Merrett until they did laps at the end and he was leading. Melksham was seldom seen. Zaka looked stuffed. NOB I just don't know if he will make it.

My first time at the facilities, walked through the hangar, the pools, the gym and the rooms. Carlisle and Hams were in the gym. Very impressive facilities.

Was great to see Hird in the middle barking instructions. Looks great.

Got down there as well today. We couldn't believe how many people turned up.
Couple of thoughts:
- Thought Gwilt was pretty impressive as well. I've never thought he was as bad as some others thought, but he showed more than enough today.
- Gleeson is still a pro.
- Kav looks fitter, but wasn't always too great by foot. Usually his disposal is pretty reasonable though, so hopefully this was one of those blue moons everyone talks about.
- Daniher's kicking action looks to have improved a fair bit, good times. Bit hard to assess how he's doing in one on ones however, since Hooker/Hurley both weren't there.
- Stants ran hard, used it nicely too. Looked like his old self.
- Cooney certainly looks quick. If he can get through without many knee problems, he'll be a good pickup for us.
- Long was unlucky on a few occasions (led hard repeatedly only to be overlooked) but get the feeling he's going to take a while. Was used sparingly, spending a lot of time on the sidelines, so I guess they want to gradually build up his workload. Skills look good, just very skinny, light frame at this stage which will likely hold him back for the time being.
- Hirdy's still a handsome man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back