Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another plane missing ...

155 plus crew of 7 ...

AirAsia Indonesia flight QZ8501: Plane bound for Singapore lost contact with air traffic

PUBLISHED ON 28 DEC 2014

An AirAsia Indonesia plane travelling from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control on Sunday morning.

QZ 8501 has 155 passengers and crew on board, including one Singaporean, one British, one Malaysian, three Koreans and 149 Indonesians, according to Indonesia's Transport Ministry.

"AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 hrs this morning,'' said an airline statement.

"At the present time, we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/as...-air-traffic-report-2014#sthash.bJYZDDZY.dpuf

The beerenberg spicy plum is pretty damn good too.

Forming the base of my spare rib sauce tonight.

...that was one I got a free taste test bottle of a year or so back ... it's pretty good :thumbsu:

Yeah Jedi was the Rubicon that saw George Lucas take Star Wars from cultural phenomenon to fully kiddified merch-whore.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that charted the loss of a few of the brains behind the first two films who left during early planning for Jedi chiefly because of creative differences with Lucas who was hot on the Ewoks and other assorted s**t that markedly brightened the tone from the relative brutality of Empire.

Jedi and the appalling prequels are basically Lucas without the checks, balances and non-sycophants who were able to come together to produce the greatness that was SW and Empire.

Also he was unhappy and divorcing his wife at the time which led to the darkness of Empire, and him being out of control ever since as she kept his ideas in check and worked as a propper sounding board for him instead of a yes man. Speilberg I think also had the same problem years later which combined with Lucas's experiences led to the darkness of Indi's Temple of Doom

Good on ya TSW ... we knew him when he was just a big footy campaigner ... lol
I am still just a Big Footy Campaigner

Star Wars is crap, Stargate is better.

Love Stargate - the movie, SG-1 & Atlantis. Watched season 1 of Universe but not as golden as the others. Even still, Star Wars - Hope & Empire and almost peerless. Brilliant movies.

A new Stargate movie with the JJ Abrams treatment could be amazing-balls.

Love Stargate - the movie, SG-1 & Atlantis. Watched season 1 of Universe but not as golden as the others. Even still, Star Wars - Hope & Empire and almost peerless. Brilliant movies.

Nah, Stargate only works cause of the characters, unlike Star Wars which works because of the setting and universe. Unless you want to bring back overweight middle aged MacGyver, Daniel Jackson, grandma Carter, and I pressume fat Teal'c, it wont work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Life is so much better when you pretend taken 2 and 3 dont exist

After about half an hour of Taken 2, I spent the rest of the movie playing Angry Birds. And I don't even like Angry Birds.

Nah, Stargate only works cause of the characters, unlike Star Wars which works because of the setting and universe. Unless you want to bring back overweight middle aged MacGyver, Daniel Jackson, grandma Carter, and I pressume fat Teal'c, it wont work.

It's due for a reboot, new actors!

For the record, Christopher Judge is still ripped and Amanda Tapping is still smoking hot.

Either that or a new series. Without a ship...as soon as they went ship I was out of there, Star Trek has ships, Stargate has gates and never the twain shall meet. Would love any new Sci-Fi series

The Hilltop Hoods have been hit with a double whammy over their song Cosby Sweater.

First there is the Urban Dictionary meaning which has a sexual connotation - which the band didn't know anything about. Then just after they release the song all the BS about Bill Cosby's sexual perversions come out.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ng-cosby-sweater/story-e6frfn09-1227137023955
AUSTRALIAN rap stars Hilltop Hoods say they “regret” referencing Bill Cosby in their hit song Cosby Sweater and say the lyrics are not about a sex act.
The song mentions the 80s sitcom star who has since been accused of sexually assaulting a string of women in Hollywood (the song was released before the allegations against Cosby).
But ARIA-winning rap trio, who performed the song at the ARIAs in Sydney last night, say they have been inundated with emails asking what their reference to “a Cosby sweater” actually has a sexual meaning after an alternative definition for the phrase emerged.

The site Urban Dictionary suggested the term “Cosby sweater” had a sexual connotation to it. The lyrics to Cosby Sweater say: “I feel in charge like Biggie, wearing that Cosby sweater.”

In his 80s hey day, Cosby was known for wearing loud and colourful printed chunky knits on The Cosby Show. But Hilltop Hoods said Cosby Sweater was inspired by a photo of the late rapper Notorious B.I.G. wearing a “Coogi sweater” — an Australian brand of colourful chunky knit that was popular in the 80s and early 90s.

In a statement on their Facebook page, the I Love It band said: “We’ve been getting a lot of emails asking if ‘Cosby Sweater’ was inspired by the urban dictionary definition of the phrase, I can tell you right now that it has NOTHING to do with it”. “The songs about a piece of clothing. A ridiculously colourful piece of clothing,” Hilltop Hoods said in the post, as reported by musicfeeds.com.au.“To be honest we regret name checking Bill Cosby. Like some of you we’ve only recently become aware of the allegations against him.

“If he’s guilty of those allegations he can go jump in a *ing lake. A deep icy lake.”

“Anyway, hopefully that gives some clarity on what the song’s about. Please, no more emails about the Urban Dictionary definition,” Hilltop Hoods said in the statement. “R.I.P. B.I.G.”
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ng-cosby-sweater/story-e6frfn09-1227137023955

Give him a break, it was his first big film, he was up with McGregor, Portman, and Samuel L Jackson, and he has the meglomaniac Lucas in full control giving more attention to CGI and marketing than acting and dialogue, and his other co-stars mostly consisted of blue screen. When it mattered (end scene, Revenge of the Sith) he did as good as could be expected with more questionable dialogue and held his own up against McGregor, and more blue screen.

Even Natalie Portman is on record as saying making those films nearly killed her Hollywood career as no one thought she could act after Star Wars.

Didn't seem to hurt Harrison Ford's career. Liam Neeson is more typecast by Taken than he has been by his involvement in Star Wars. Alec Guiness seemed to get out of it just fine and it was his most recognizable role, not to mention Peter Cushing. My take on it is that any science fiction movie with such expectations is going to emphasize any weakness that you have as an actor. Lucas was never a actor's director, even when he was making critically acclaimed movies like American Graffiti. The reason why people respond so well to a movie like the original Star Wars is because all the actors bought into the story. I don't think Portman and Christensen ever did - they were always thinking 'I'm in Star Wars' rather than actually portraying the characters they were meant to play. McGregor didn't rate the plot of any of the movies except for the last one, but you wouldn't know it, because he loses himself in the role. And he dealt with CGI more than Christensen did.

Some of the most horrible parts in Episode 2 were the ones where Christensen and Portman were together, because their lack of emotion and chemistry fed into a tragic loop of shitness. Yes, the dialogue was s**t: "I hate sand..." But a good actor can make questionable dialogue work. Look at Ford's performance in Empire Strikes Back - some of the cheesiest dialogue you could ever come across. "Stop that." "Stop what?" "Stop that, my hands are dirty." "My hands are dirty too, what are you afraid of?" "I'm not afraid..." "You're trembling..." PLEASE. Imagine Christensen and Portman doing that scene? s**t, s**t, s**t. People view ESB with reverence because the actors felt a responsibility to the sequel of the film that had made them all stars, and made it great despite the dialogue being mediocre (as it always is in Star Wars). Neither Christensen nor Portman felt any responsibility to the film - they thought the script was s**t, and performed accordingly.

In short, the prequels failed because the actors believed that being in Star Wars would be their 'big break' to get involved in better films. Whereas the original trilogy worked because the actors didn't act like they were better than the film and made them as best they could.

Some of the most horrible parts in Episode 2 were the ones where Christensen and Portman were together, because their lack of emotion and chemistry fed into a tragic loop of shitness. Yes, the dialogue was s**t: "I hate sand..." But a good actor can make questionable dialogue work. Look at Ford's performance in Empire Strikes Back - some of the cheesiest dialogue you could ever come across. "Stop that." "Stop what?" "Stop that, my hands are dirty." "My hands are dirty too, what are you afraid of?" "I'm not afraid..." "You're trembling..." PLEASE. Imagine Christensen and Portman doing that scene? s**t, s**t, s**t. People view ESB with reverence because the actors felt a responsibility to the sequel of the film that had made them all stars, and made it great despite the dialogue being mediocre (as it always is in Star Wars). Neither Christensen nor Portman felt any responsibility to the film - they thought the script was s**t, and performed accordingly.

Aaand this is why Attack of the Clones is the only Star Wars movie I've only seen once and will only see once. Abominable.

And I'd watch almost any old s**t with Natalie Portman in it.

One thing i think the prequels did better was capture emotions better

For example when milf hunter turns into vader and kills the padlings yoda is visibly is shaken.......

where as in the originals leia barely bats an eyelid at a whole planet being destroyed or when luke doesnt seem to give 2 sh**s that his aunt and uncle were burnt alive protecting him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back