Dujon11

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bays
Has your interest in the SANFL increased or subsided in the last 12 months with the inclusion of PORT POWER and ADELAIDE CROWS reserves?

raboyle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
I won't stop going to SANFL games but will always rail against the AFL intrusion.

They've wrecked the VFL, the WAFL has been infiltrated in the worst way, the AFL thinks they know what's best because they are the top dog. If they had any integrity at all they would not have dropped their reserves comp.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Still have massive interest. Norwood should be booking in with the trophy shop now though. Massive ins

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
West won 3/4 times they played the AFL last year didnt they?

they did yeah, but it really didn't bother me. getting belted by the other sanfl teams (something i have plenty of experience watching) gives you more of a barometer where you're at. being outrun and outclassed by players earning more than the salary cap is just hollow.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Hard to see who can overtake them. Could be in the middle of a Centrals-like era - but theirs ended with 4 flags in a row...perhaps Norwood's will too?

We've only won 3 so far. There's a lot of hard work to be done before we can think about 4.

SANFL is a way of life for me. Sure, I'm not peased about the AFL invasion, and maybe the fact my club has won the past 3 flags has buoyed my interest, but I'm into sports history in a big way, and the SANFL is rich with history. That keeps my interest more than anything.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Well here's a newsflash for you, it's only going to get harder from here on in.

The silly thing about all this is you'd think the AFL would see the benefits of having strong vibrant local leagues all over the country, but they do everything they can to weaken them. I find that very strange, a bit like how Cricket Australia are treating the Sheffield Shield.

Oh well, so long as these corporations use clever marketing to convince the gullible public that their products have never been better, they have nothing to worry about ..... have they?

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
The silly thing about all this is you'd think the AFL would see the benefits of having strong vibrant local leagues all over the country, but they do everything they can to weaken them. I find that very strange, a bit like how Cricket Australia are treating the Sheffield Shield.

Oh well, so long as these corporations use clever marketing to convince the gullible public that their products have never been better, they have nothing to worry about ..... have they?
Every league under AFL has dropped in Victoria since the AFL effectively took over. The SANFL clubs will not be able to maintain the $$ that they have previously, players will go elsewhere chasing $ and the chance of being picked up via the SANFL will diminish. AFL is solely interested in filling its U/18 talent pipeline - nothing else. They could not give a rats arse about community football.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Every league under AFL has dropped in Victoria since the AFL effectively took over. The SANFL clubs will not be able to maintain the $$ that they have previously, players will go elsewhere chasing $ and the chance of being picked up via the SANFL will diminish. AFL is solely interested in filling its U/18 talent pipeline - nothing else. They could not give a rats arse about community football.

Yep. We (Norwood) have already heard the (already paltry) salary cap will drop a further $50,000 next season. Also, the AFL have been trying for years to gain control of the SANFL to turn it into an underage competition. One step at a time I guess. I despise the AFL, always have, always will.

My only interest in the AFL is Hawthorn ... stuff everything else.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
The AFL should take over the SANFL, use it for what it really is, a feeder competition.

I'm with you there in regards to AFL Takeover, because the old guard at SANFL HQ are still stuck in the late 80's/early 90s anti Port mantra.

I don't think it should be a feeder league per se, however it's not what it once was. However there is still a lot of passion amongst supporters, whether they be against or for AFL reserves or not.

My interest has grown, incidentally.

May 8, 2014
Adelaide Airport
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, QPR
why is it that Central Districts appear in eleven Grand Finals in a row between 2000-2011, winning nine of them and raking in a shitload of pokie money, which in turn is used to recruit Victorians (meanwhile their junior teams languish near the bottom all this time), nobody bats an eyelid

Port Adelaide Magpies become an AFL reserves team, just like how it is in other state leagues: VFL, WAFL, NEAFL, and everyone loses their minds? last season wasn't the two horse race between Port and Crows many predicted.

it's a minor league, it's a second tier competition, not an alternative to the AFL

VFL has had AFL reserves teams since like 2000, yet independent and historical teams like Port Melbourne and Williamstown are still going strong

Last edited:

raboyle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
Of course no one batted an eyelid, we recruited from our zone, from other state leagues and next to stuff all AFL guys. CDFC built a team that no one could match, it's drove people nuts only because the former whipping boy of the league was serving up a massive middle finger to their detractors.

Port and the Crows are now half-loaded with full timers while the rest have to work along with their SANFL commitments. But that's ok, innit. All bow down to the AFL machine.

For many people it IS an alternative to the AFL because not everyone buys into the crap that Victoria is selling.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Instead of taking over the SANFL, the AFL should instead work with them to establish a separate under 18s TAC-like cup competition. This, in my world, would involve scrapping the current SANFL underage leagues (but keep the Senior and reserves) then the new underage league can act as a feeder or something similar (maybe a reworked SANFL mini-draft)

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Instead of taking over the SANFL, the AFL should instead work with them to establish a separate under 18s TAC-like cup competition. This, in my world, would involve scrapping the current SANFL underage leagues (but keep the Senior and reserves) then the new underage league can act as a feeder or something similar (maybe a reworked SANFL mini-draft)
If you do this, your SANFL will be ****ed and as will all levels of your community football because it takes out a massive component of what is good about lower tier footy, the ability to watch youngsters come through against men and start on their way. No more Cooneys or Aish's playing in senior premierships as kids, just lots of kids spat out of the system like garbage once they turn 18. Believe me - you don't want it.

Back