Best and worst kicks in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who are the best and worst kickers of the footy in the AFL at the moment? In terms of hitting targets and the occasional set shot.

From my club I'd say the best at the moment would be Macrae, Murphy and Libba. Silky smooth skills. Worst would be Matty Boyd by a fair margin.

Last edited:

Harvey, Mitchell, Yarran, Dal Santo, Burygone and a few others are the best kicks and delivers of the footy inside fifty. Worst l have seen is Liam Anthony (who thankfully isn't playing for us anymore), a few demons and saints players as well.

Who are the best and worst kickers of the footy in the AFL at the moment? In terms of hitting targets and the occasional set shot.

From my club I'd say the best at the moment would be Macrae, Murphy and Libba. Silky smooth skills. Worst would be Matty Boyd by a fair margin.

That is a surprising nomination for mine. Macrae does have some ability by foot but floats a lot of his kicks way too much at the moment.

To answer your thread, Burgoyne would be the second best kick of a footy I've seen at Hawthorn so he would have to be up there at the moment. Others that come to mind are Hartlett, Ablett, Malceski, Goddard, Franklin and Ben Reid before his legs fell to pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Darley has a beautiful kicking technique, but he's not an established player. Liberatore almost always finds his target. Of the old guard, Bob Murphy is right up there, the guy is silk.

Matthew Boyd cops a lot of flak for his kicking, as does Michael Talia.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith
Brisbane - Daniel Rich
Carlton - Chris Yarran
Collingwood - Scott Pendlebury
Essendon - Brendan Goddard
Fremantle - Stephen Hill
Geelong - Steve Johnson
Gold Coast - Nick Malceski
GWS - Callan Ward
Hawthorn - Shaun Burgoyne
Melbourne - ???
North Melbourne - Nick Dal Santo
Port Adelaide - Hamish Hartlett
Richmond - Dustin Martin
St. Kilda - ???
Sydney - Buddy Franklin
West Coast - Shannon Hurn
Western Bulldogs - Bob Murphy

Last edited:
R212013McKenziePass.gif

Just wish he would establish himself :(

Best- Goddard Yarran Gibbs Ablett Hanley Birchall Hartlett Wingard

Worst Taylor Adam Greenwood Crisp

Billings will be elite is Footskills are superb.

Goddard and the whole Hawthorn line up

Actually there are some average kicks in the Hawthorn team. Shiels can get the pill but he can also butcher it from time to time. Litherland played a few games last year and he suffers from the predilection of kicking it as far as he can every time he has it. Now retired, but Sewelly also wasn't a fantastic kick. Spangher, also, is an average kick. Hodge and Suckling are given licence to try the difficult pass from time to time, in the knowledge that they can also spray it. Gibbo is also good for at least one clanger kick per game, and his mistakes are generally magnified by the fact he's kicking out of defence.

However, Hawthorn has a number of players who are good or better field kicks. Mitchell is generally very accurate under 40 metres on either foot. Burgoyne and Lewis are usually very good by foot.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith
Brisbane - Daniel Rich
Carlton - Chris Yarran
Collingwood - Scott Pendlebury
Essendon - Brendan Goddard
Fremantle - Stephen Hill
Geelong - Steve Johnson
Gold Coast - Nick Malceski
GWS - Callan Ward
Hawthorn - Shaun Burgoyne
Melbourne - ???
North Melbourne - Nick Dal Santo
Port Adelaide - Hamish Hartlett
Richmond - Brett Delidio
St. Kilda - ???
Sydney - Buddy Franklin
West Coast - Shannon Hurn
Western Bulldogs - Bob Murphy
Don't reckon Brett Deledio is in our top three to be honest. I'd have Dustin Martin, Chris Newman, Jack Reiwoldt and Ben Griffiths ahead of him, particularly as set shots for goal. All things considered I'd say Dustin Martin is our most reliable kick.

Shaun Grigg and Ricky Petterd our worst.

Don't reckon Brett Deledio is in our top three to be honest. I'd have Dustin Martin, Chris Newman, Jack Reiwoldt and Ben Griffiths ahead of him, particularly as set shots for goal. All things considered I'd say Dustin Martin is our most reliable kick.

Shaun Grigg and Ricky Petterd our worst.

Thanks, I wasn't really sure.

St. Kilda - ???
Arryn Siposs, Jack Billings, Brodie Murdoch, Jack Newnes, Jimmy Webster, Tom Lee (for someone his size, his field and goalkicking are probably both elite). Ahmed Saad pretty damn good too, especially for goal, but neat and at times extremely long around the ground as well.

Pearce Hanley

Clint Jones
o_O His kicking is so bad that he gets a nom even though he isn't even in the AFL anymore!? :eek: :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back