Strategy Port Adelaide International Partnership: Hong Kong Football Club & AusKick HK

Remove this Banner Ad

They did trade us the picks we needed to get the Polec deal done. So he should now blossom at Port and pick 21 will turn out to be a diamond in the rough.

Lockhart Road let's split the difference and say Port Adelaide and its supporters, working together to grow the pie. ;)

Grow the egg tart**

Reading that Auskick HK announcement.. mentions something about a partnership with a major hotel..

New sponsor??

Reading that Auskick HK announcement.. mentions something about a partnership with a major hotel..

New sponsor??

Intercontinental Hotel Adelaide.

Not as big as a new 'joint major sponsor' ... that would be a separate item.

Last edited:

More Auskick than HKFC but its all part of it. Rowe on 5AA this arvo talked about Port in HK - think it was with Rucci and said that there is a businessman in HK pushing Port very hard. He said a mate told him "it's frightening" how many kids turn up with Port jumpers at the Auskick clinics.

Our man Lockhart Road continuing to do the hard yards and succeeding in his endeavours.

More Auskick than HKFC but its all part of it. Rowe on 5AA this arvo talked about Port in HK - think it was with Rucci and said that there is a businessman in HK pushing Port very hard. He said a mate told him "it's frightening" how many kids turn up with Port jumpers at the Auskick clinics.

Our man Lockhart Road continuing to do the hard yards and succeeding in his endeavours.

Yeah, I heard that too - sounds promising and more evidence that our club is continuing to move forward. Very happy and proud.

What I would have given to listen in to that! Missed it alas and alack.

I doubt it's anything to do with me. All I can report just now is a business lunch lined up tomorrow with HK Football Club and Kochie's daughter to fix up the Business Lunch on Friday 16 May.

Pathetic, I know.

Last edited:
Thanks again lock for all you've been doing for the club

Thanks, mate, but all I've been doing is lunches.

Pizza peas.

Last edited:
I have just seen an email comment by someone in Hong Kong (who will remain nameless) on being sent the link (not by me) to Rucci's story in Saturday's media re PAFC's China initiative...

This person, I'm told, was instrumental in organising Leon Cameron's itinerary in Hong Kong and Macau at the end of last season.

He wrote:
Hats off to David Koch, clearly a good operator. My club had a president who outstayed his use by date and treated the club like he owned it. Considering my mob’s been here 3 times, I’m embarrassed that Port has steam rolled their way into Hong Kong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AUSKICK HK 2015 Jumper Mock Ups with POWER  logo (653x1280).jpg

Here, good citizens, we have a preview mock-up of the 2015 jumpers for the three original Hong Kong AusKick teams:
the Kowloon Cobras. the Hong Kong Typhoons and the Lantau Lizards.

You'll note the modest Power logo front and centre on all of them.

You'll also note the Lizards have gone 'wharf pylons' (as REH prefers) / 'prison bars' / 'picket fence'.

Check the website - http://www.auskick-hk.com/ - and you'll see there are two new children's teams coming into the programme: the Sai Kung Stingrays and the as yet unnamed team being formed from the Rugby youngsters at Sandy Bay (HKU) and sponsored by Leighton.

You'll also see we're spreading to Shanghai with two teams in 2015.

This updates the earlier posts on this thread, for which I've slightly adjusted the title.

More to come.

Last edited:
Was at the Hong Kong Football Club today for the finals of the International Rugby Tens.

Sat in the Sportsman's Bar and kept an eye on the World Cup semi final from SCG, whilst chatting with a half-dozen of the Dragons lads.

They had a few visitors with them from Melbourne, older generation types, like me.

One of them, on his first visit to HK, had a very familiar face. I was introduced, and moved to the chair next to him.

It was Mike Sheahan.

Had he noticed the framed team-signed Power jumper on the wall just outside the door of the bar?
Yes he had.
Was he interested to know why it was there?
Yes he was, but no need to explain as the Dragons lads had already briefed him.

Could be KT on Open Mike some time soon.

Last edited:
Thought this would interest you. We tend to forget just how much the Chinese have integrated and shaped the history of our country, and so many others.

Every year 80,000 Chinese tourists travel to Ballarat in regional Victoria to visit the old goldfields of “Tsin Chin Shan” or “Land of the New Gold Mountain”. Their itinerary includes the Gold Museum, Chinese Cemetery, Mine Tour and Sovereign Hill’s recreated Goldfields Village. The tour buses never stop at Eastern Oval, the ground that over 120 years ago hosted a unique part of Australia’s sporting history.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/mar/25/forgotten-story-chinese-goldfields-aussie-rules

They should go to Robe and trace the 440km walk to Ballarat 20, 000 men did between 1857 and 1865. After first visiting Alberton of course.

Interesting you should bring that up REH. They walked thru or just past my property in between Robe and Millicent. My place was built in 1860. I have a mate who's family have owned 12000 acres or so for about 190 years in the Robe area, his great, great grand father employed some of these guys when clearing land and farming on their way thru.

Some info on the history. http://www.ach.familyhistorysa.info/gold.html

TWO YEARS ON....

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...launch-pad-to-a-larger-world-for-port-members

With two weeks to go, the Power remained in contention for the premiership.

This raised the question: Who could be spared?

I suggested to Port Adelaide’s head of membership Matthew Richardson the benefit of teaching children a special skill – handball – so then-developing utility Brendon Ah Chee might be the solution.

Matthew’s response was enough to make a dedicated Port man’s jaw drop:

“Would Russell Ebert do? I’ll ask him.”

A minute later, and a 392-game champion of South Australian football was packing his bags.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...launch-pad-to-a-larger-world-for-port-members

Night View of HKFC Clubhouse, Pool, Main Pitch - Copy (800x533) (800x533).jpg

Night view of the Hong Kong Football Club, looking south, photo taken from the top of the Crowne Plaza on the corner of Wong Nai Chung Road and Leighton Road.

Photo shows the HKFC Club House with entrance on narrow Sports Road, swimming pool on the 2nd floor podium, tennis courts on the roof ... also Main Pitch (IRU and FIFA standard) and Bowling Green. At the right is the club's Olympic standard Hockey Pitch.

Between the pitches and the Club House a race track runs. Beneath it is the Tunnel, connecting the Club House to the Infield facilities.

BF 1908 HKFC Champion Soccer Team (2) - Copy (640x483).jpg

The entrance to the Hong Kong Football Club wasn't always so grand. In 1908 (above) the Club House was made of bamboo frames, rush mats and fir poles. It regularly blew down in typhoons or burnt down care of careless behaviour by smoking members.

In the early 1990s the Jockey Club funded a complete rebuild of the HKFC which resulted in the fantastic facilities experienced today and an extended race track that separated the HKFC into two sections and added to its unique character and atmosphere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back