Best and worst kicks in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

lolwut. It has nothing to do with Kav, it was simply a run of the mill kick that one sees every single game. Hardly spectacular which helps make a case for him being mentioned in this thread. Now to bring us back into reality, McKenzie has played 22 games in 3 seasons. Until he can even regularly get a gig in the ones and play a full season then his name hardly belongs in this thread. This is for the best kick in the AFL, not the VFL.

I agree entirely that McKenzie needs to cement his place in the side but that kick against you was a pearler and you're the only one on the thread who refuses to accept it. For fairly obvious reasons. Anyway.

R212013McKenziePass.gif

Just wish he would establish himself :(
Raise you...

Text book kick, so the shanks against Hawthorn don't make any sense. o_O:drunk:

Drilled bullets over the heads of opponent/s who were in front of a teammate.

For Richmond I'd go Chris Newman, always been a fantastic kick over distance on his left leg.

The worst...I saw Shaun Hampson teaching kids how to kick at a club clinic at Pakenham a few days ago, poor kids don't stand a chance.

Don't reckon Brett Deledio is in our top three to be honest. I'd have Dustin Martin, Chris Newman, Jack Reiwoldt and Ben Griffiths ahead of him, particularly as set shots for goal. All things considered I'd say Dustin Martin is our most reliable kick.

Shaun Grigg and Ricky Petterd our worst.
Completely disagree. Lids is our best kick to position on both sides by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't reckon Brett Deledio is in our top three to be honest. I'd have Dustin Martin, Chris Newman, Jack Reiwoldt and Ben Griffiths ahead of him, particularly as set shots for goal. All things considered I'd say Dustin Martin is our most reliable kick.

Shaun Grigg and Ricky Petterd our worst.
Not when he's trying to be pretty and do stupid little chip kicks. Never used to do it, seems like coaches have told him to because of the game plan. He's better when kicking long and switching play

Not when he's trying to be pretty and do stupid little chip kicks. Never used to do it, seems like coaches have told him to because of the game plan. He's better when kicking long and switching play
Yes but when he does this those kicks are really speculative. There is a reason he doesn't kick out much.

Kick outs - Fletcher
Defence - Suckling, Dal Santo, Burgoyne, McVeigh, R.Murphy
Midfield - Pendlebury, Boak, Ellis, Heppell
Forward - Harvey, Lewis, Gray, Breust
Set shots - Schulz, Breust, Gunston

Brent Harvey's kicking is astoundingly good - he's lethal around goal from literally anywhere ... snaps, on the run bouncing goals, set shots from outside 50.

He also has brilliant field kicking and delivery inside 50.

From Sydney

Worst
K.Jack
Grundy

Best
McVeigh
Mal
Franklin (field kicking)
Jetta

Grundy kicking the football could be regarded as bringing the game into disrepute. Buddy's field kicking is impeccable especially for someone of his height. Jetta when motivated is a sensational kick.

Tippett would have to be amongst the worst kicks

Adelaide: Bodie Smith best, Sam Jacobs worst
Brisbane: Daniel Rich best, Matthew Leuenberger worst
Carlton: Zach Tuohy best, Andrew Carrazzo worst
Collingwood: Ben Reid best, Jack Frost worst
Essendon: Bendan Goddard best, Nick Kommer worst
Fremantle: Stephen Hill best, Matthew De Boer worst
Geelong: Stephen Motlop best, Dawson Simpson worst
Gold Coast: Nick Malceski best, Daniel Gorringe worst
GWS: Nick Haynes best, Toby Greene worst
Hawthorn: Matthew Suckling best, Ryan Schoenmakers worst
Melbourne: Jack Grimes best, Tom McDonald worst
North Melbourne: Daniel Wells best, Todd Goldstein worst
Port Adelaide: Hamish Hartlett best, Tom Logan worst (is he still playing?)
Richmond: Brett Deledio best, Steven Morris worst
St. Kilda: Arryn Sipposs best, Luke Delaney worst
Sydney: Kieran Jack best, Heath Grundy worst
West Coast: Shannon Hurn best, Matthew Rosa worst
Western Bulldogs: Bob Murphy best, Matthew Boyd worst.
Schoenmakers actually isn't a bad kick. I'd say our worst would be Shiels or Spangher

Melbourne: Jack Grimes best, Tom McDonald worst
lol..u wot? Kicks out on the full more times than you've had hot dinners.

Watts is the best and most reliable field kick in the side. It's one of the things he's actually very good at.

Salem would be second, already.

Vince would be up there but he remains prone to the odd clanger.

Last edited:
Eth dog way off with his picks.

Matt Suckling is one of the most over rated kicks in the AFL. Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis are all easily better than him at Hawthorn alone.

Also Schoenmakers is nowhere near our worst he is actually very good by foot just makes poor decisions rather than execution.

Our worst kick is probably someone like a Spangher

Matt Suckling is one of the most over rated kicks in the AFL. Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis are all easily better than him at Hawthorn alone.
Seems harsh. Those bullets coming out of the back half are a delight to watch.

Mitchell I can accept as better given his ability on his non-preferred, but Suckling is a beautiful kick of the footy.

Seems harsh. Those bullets coming out of the back half are a delight to watch.

Mitchell I can accept as better given his ability on his non-preferred, but Suckling is a beautiful kick of the footy.
When he hits a kick he hits it well but boy when he misses one he misses badly. The others consistently hit targets by foot rarely making a mistake, Suckling is a lot more error prone.

Actually I'd add Birchall into the list of better kicks than Suckling.

Best kick in the game has been Goddard for many years. Sickeningly good to watch and very few if any shanks even under pressure, but i remember it was no secret leading into that draft how some rep coaches thought he was the greatest kick they had EVER seen come thru...so he basically lived up to his schoolboy rep. I consider Akermanis and Goddard by far the two best by foot in recent memory.

Surprisingly good on the odd occasion u see it are the champion power fwds. Its as though they try to remind their own midfields what they expect. All of Brown Riewoldt Pavlich and Franklin have actually been surprisingly brilliant field kicks whenever u get to see it...Brown was a real standout field kick for such a big unit.

HBF is the outboard motor powering every modern team. If you have seriously skilled run and carry weapons out of defence you have the potential to make and win finals. No surprise to see some of the most lethal kicks in the game playing that attacking role. Two standouts for me over the last 5 yrs is the dream HBF pairing of Malceski and Burgoyne....been the most consistent for years now because they are true defenders first and foremost, but murder you on the rebound as one touch weapons by foot. They have the vision and confidence to back up their footskills. With the game so structured and predictably tidal, there is nothing more dangerous than having it suddenly and rapidly go 50-100m back the other way before you've been able to do much more than turn around. When you see one of them catching 3/4 of the guys on the paddock behind their run you can mark down a goal everytime.

Midfielders i;d say Pendlebury, Dal Santo and Mitchell. Experienced elite A graders with sickeningly good vision and the delivery to back it up.

Not interested in the worst kicks. We've all got a few lousy ones but they tend to be weeded out within 3-5yrs. At top level though its a relative thing...the best play at AFL level so you can look lousy simply by association. No fluke Hawthorn have won a cpl of flags becooz they have insisted on footskills as a basic requirement thru the draft and trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back