List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing Lonergan and losing Frawley I think means we are going to transition the backline last and slowly. Even at gets very high average in age of the back 6.

I assume that either Bews or Thurlow will play down back this season - so one change and one youthful player now down back.

The following year Rivers retires and Kolo comes in.

Then Lonergan goes - and I have no idea at this stage who is the likely replacement - but maybe Blitz or Stanley ???

Then Mackie goes - and we have Kolo and Thurlow now down back.

So we look ok if the talent we think we have comes in and shines. Only the FB position will be an issue - but not probably for two years.

Pure_Ownage do you not have an opinion on how much we should offer Danger, or are you just not sure?

Sorry for a glib answer but I would offer whatever $ figure we think Adelaide wouldnt match, and not $ 1 more (as its not in our interest to trade assets for Dangerfield), so long as the PLG is consulted and happy with it.

He's definitely a player you want to get if you can structure an offer to get it done.

I agree with the midfield thing, because if you read my posts, that's all I've been whinging about for 2 years.

But that's the thing, there is no development if Lonners is there. None of the options you mentioned there have played 5 games in the defense even to see if they can make the cut. Now I love that he signed on, but only if we're going to actually get a flag (or get close to one) between now and when he retires, otherwise it's useless.

If they start it now with one of those mentioned, fair enough but who gets the ass? Can't see them taking anyone out of the back 6, at least none of the tall options.

Yes, the midfield has been my biggest concern for some time as well.

As for the bolded, I am not too concerned about the backline because I actually believe we could indeed go close before it is completely turned over.

EDIT: I am also not overly fearful that the the turnover, when it does come, will be particularly harsh, even if they hold onto 1 or 2 of the older guys right up until the last. as per Jon Douglas post above, I think it could well be less painful than what a lot of people are expecting.

Last edited:

Signing Lonergan and losing Frawley I think means we are going to transition the backline last and slowly. Even at gets very high average in age of the back 6.

I assume that either Bews or Thurlow will play down back this season - so one change and one youthful player now down back.

The following year Rivers retires and Kolo comes in.

Then Lonergan goes - and I have no idea at this stage who is the likely replacement - but maybe Blitz or Stanley ???

Then Mackie goes - and we have Kolo and Thurlow now down back.

So we look ok if the talent we think we have comes in and shines. Only the FB position will be an issue - but not probably for two years.
I could see our 2018 backline looking like this Jon.

Bews Kolodjashnij Taylor
Guthrie Blicavs Thurlow

This obviously doesn't factor in potential recruits from other clubs who could come in and make a difference aswell.

I also wouldn't rule out Walker being switched into defense to replace Lonergan when the time comes.

Bews Kolodjashnij Taylor
Guthrie Blicavs Thurlow

This obviously doesn't factor in potential recruits from other clubs who could come in and make a difference aswell.

I also wouldn't rule out Walker being switched into defense to replace Lonergan when the time comes.

Not sure Kolo will be big enough to be KPB - I see him more like a Rivers player or even Mackie. But I do think it is worth seeing if Blicavs, Walker or even Stanley as a KPB. As long as they blood them in the VFL and when up to speed give them some selective senior games. It takes time to learn a KPB role. Let's not destroy their confidence by playing them in that position until they have shown some good form in the VFL being a KPB.

It then gives the player time (whoever is selected as the best to become KPB) to learn the trade and they get a few senior games to help their progression - and that allows us to rest our older backline KPB's - in Taylor, Lonergan and Rivers. Would not hurt them to get 2 games of a season at the right time. Keeping them fresh for the finals. And we the get to chance for a player to come in and do a role down back for us.

personally I like the idea of Blitz trialling out as a KPB. Its obvious if one of KPB goes down we are in trouble. We have no obvious back up at present. Blitz is big and tall enough, moves over the ground ok for a big guy and I think might find having a set objective - to stop their KPF - to his liking. But it will take time for him to get to know the role.

Does anyone know how long Thurlow is signed to? IF his contract ends this year and he isn't getting games... I would leave

Edit: found it, end of 2015

I have a funny feeling he will go anyway…..

The backline is indeed a growing concern... the only thing I can think of is that they have a few FA's line up in the coming year or two... I.e. Frawley... oh wait... look how well that turned out. :oops: The youngest is Harry and he's 29 this year...

Taylor, Longergan, Enright and Mackie can each play no more than 15 regular season games if we are serious about getting time into the kids.
Start throwing Kolo, Jansen (I know he's a mid) etc down there. Games pls!

Daniel Talia's father Jack has stated in the past few weeks that Daniel wants to come home, would be a great fit in our backline. Think we may see mass suicides in SA if both Danger and Talia were to leave.

Daniel Talia's father Jack has stated in the past few weeks that Daniel wants to come home, would be a great fit in our backline. Think we may see mass suicides in SA if both Danger and Talia where to leave.
I thought I heard whispers about this a year or two back as well...

One could almost feel sorry for the Crows with the amount of talent they've lost. But given how many have left I'd say it's no longer a case of "bad luck".
Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

One could almost feel sorry for the Crows with the amount of talent they've lost. But given how many have left I'd say it's no longer a case of "bad luck".
Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

One could but it won't be me.

The way Talia's father spoke about it, suggested to me that its reality Daniel will come home.

By home you mean to Geelong or just to Victoria?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Kolo will be big enough to be KPB - I see him more like a Rivers player or even Mackie. But I do think it is worth seeing if Blicavs, Walker or even Stanley as a KPB. As long as they blood them in the VFL and when up to speed give them some selective senior games. It takes time to learn a KPB role. Let's not destroy their confidence by playing them in that position until they have shown some good form in the VFL being a KPB.

It then gives the player time (whoever is selected as the best to become KPB) to learn the trade and they get a few senior games to help their progression - and that allows us to rest our older backline KPB's - in Taylor, Lonergan and Rivers. Would not hurt them to get 2 games of a season at the right time. Keeping them fresh for the finals. And we the get to chance for a player to come in and do a role down back for us.

personally I like the idea of Blitz trialling out as a KPB. Its obvious if one of KPB goes down we are in trouble. We have no obvious back up at present. Blitz is big and tall enough, moves over the ground ok for a big guy and I think might find having a set objective - to stop their KPF - to his liking. But it will take time for him to get to know the role.

Blicavs will be playing in defence this year.
As far as "learning" to play CHB at a basic level, there is none required, it is the easiest job on the ground.
To take it to the next level, you have to learn how to
- match and maximise your abilities and assets against the best CHFs, as Egan, Taylor and Lonergan all had to do, and
- co-operate and work with your co-defenders, as Lonergan in particular took time to do.
These two things can only be done in the 1sts.

yup so do I just in general and I do not blame him at all
As soon as it happens I'll want CS's head

Settle mate, we have no proof of him wanting to leave or whether he will do so.

Just because he was made to earn his games in his second year - which a lot of players are made to do - doesn't mean he will go.

Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

Sloane hasn't signed yet either. Imagine if they lost all 3? Imagine if they lost all 3 to Geelong?

Better send the band wagon over to Adelaide again. :D

yup so do I just in general and I do not blame him at all
As soon as it happens I'll want CS's head

Its nothing to do with Scott…..have you ever thought Scott might know the guy wants to go? Why put games into a guy thats leaving…?

It was also apparent from his few games last year that he still has a fair way to go.

Very apparent…he's got potential and ability but a hell of a lot to learn…people on the Thurlow bandwagon may be in for a bumpy ride...

Sloane hasn't signed yet either. Imagine if they lost all 3? Imagine if they lost all 3 to Geelong?

Better send the band wagon over to Adelaide again. :D

Yep. Worked well last time.

Bews Kolodjashnij Taylor
Guthrie Blicavs Thurlow

I find it very difficult to extrapolate out that far , all we can do is add quality and let the cream rise. I bet if we did the same for the midfield now in 2018 we would have Cockatoo , yet 12 months no NC but it would have had Christensen. All we can do is try to ensure we have enough options to cover roles
Small , Medium and Tall defender. I think we have enough options its only a matter of letting bleed into the current setup

And bringing in Danger and other players , you may find unexpected players getting pushed back and forward that we dont yet see there. Murdoch as a HB option for instance. There are always plus and minus when we try to add to our list and bring in Danger and it will cost somebody a spot. Thurlow? Hartman? GHS? who knows buts just the way it works , that someone who we have high hopes for misses out. If we had brought Frawley in , who knows Kolo could have ended up getting traded to GC to be with his brother for more opportunity.

We were dealing with a better-organized mob last time. :D
post-13652-BURN-Ashton-Kutcher-zM70.gif

Dogs threw a truck load at Lonergan , they would go harder at DT and was Dogs supporter wasn't he?
I believe so, not only is his brother Michael currently playing for the doggies. Their grandfather was a member of their only premiership team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back