Suburbia

Remove this Banner Ad

From the sounds of it, Suburbia, and various other games, sell like the proverbial hotcakes (personally I prefer bacon 'n' egg muffins ;)). My question is, why are reprints of these games seemingly done in such small quantities?
Might be done in limited runs to keep the 'hype' for these games running as long as possible maybe?

Another thing is (and i don't know who makes this game) but perhaps they're a smaller company that can only release so many at a time?

Whichever way is the reason its a shame because i'd love to get a copy of it! (for a reasonable price).

A lot of companies have been burned trying to up what they think is the demand and end up with 5,000 copies in a warehouse for five years.

Also you set print runs in groups that end up being set volume numbers like 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10,000 (for example) depending on the factory. I might have demand for 3,000 but not going to risk printing 5k etc.

This is all hearsay from people on podcasts over the years.

I rather want to try Suburbia.

Running my parents servo shop we'd ocasionally get stung with the first box of a novelty item (remember Ginseng gum anyone?) selling out quickly then be stuck with two more boxes for months as the novelty died.

Its really hard not to get burned by hype and early BGG ratings on games as well. I've bought games on the back of hype that wasn't justified (hello Nations), but the risk is that you miss out on good stuff sometimes.

Its really hard not to get burned by hype and early BGG ratings on games as well. I've bought games on the back of hype that wasn't justified (hello Nations), but the risk is that you miss out on good stuff sometimes.
The good thing about board games is that you can buy a game like that, and play it, but still resell it on the back of that hype for little loss quite often.

PLayed my 3rd game of this on Saturday. Took about 3 1/2 hours, and I stuffed up the setup by putting ALL of the A and B tiles in the stacks. We realised about 2 hours in and just chucked out a ton of B and C tiles, partly to get the game finished.

90 minutes, my foot!

A friend found the attached on Board Game Geek. One-page setup guide. I've printed out a couple and put them in the box.

Attachments

• document.pdf
    67.6 KB · Views: 99
Wah-hey! $6 crafty bits organiser from Dollar Tree Warehouse. PortaCraft brand if that means anything.

Sadly too small for the money tokens. Might find something else that slots in.

suburbia-organiser.jpg

I have a stack of foam board offcuts that I was going to cut up for an organiser like so:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1740938/suburbia

And I might still do it for a lark.

Bought Suburbia the other day for $80 (20% off sale at Games World Chadstone) and played it yesterday. Loved it! Other than one heated discussion re the impact of investment markers, it wasn't a difficult game to make sense of. Can easily see the replayability potential. :)

* I just looked at the one-sheet guide provided earlier by Chief and it supported my argument that the conditional effect of the tile is resolved a second time, no matter if it's related to income, reputation, dollars or population. One person was arguing that dollar effects (eg. $2 for every commercial tile) shouldn't be resolved for a 2nd time.

Plan, build, and develop a small town into a major metropolis. Use hex-shaped building tiles to add residential, commercial, civic, and industrial areas, as well as special points of interest that provide benefits and take advantage of the resources of nearby towns. Your goal is to have your borough thrive and end up with a greater population than any of your opponents.

Suburbia is a tile-laying game in which each player tries to build up an economic engine and infrastructure that will be initially self-sufficient, and eventually become both profitable and encourage population growth. As your town grows, you'll modify both your income and your reputation. As your income increases, you'll have more cash on hand to purchase better and more valuable buildings, such as an international airport or a high rise office building. As your reputation increases, you'll gain more and more population (and the winner at the end of the game is the player with the largest population).

During each game, players compete for several unique goals that offer an additional population boost – and the buildings available in each game vary, so you'll never play the same game twice!

Looks good! Hope I get to play it soon.
Unfortunately the voice and image weren't in sync for the video, could just be my internet/phone though...

Would like to play it with someone who knows the rules inside and out before starting, to avoid mistakes...

Would like to play it with someone who knows the rules inside and out before starting, to avoid mistakes...
I watched a couple of 'walkthrough' vids on YouTube before playing the first time and that helped. As it was, no-one else in my group had played it before and, other than a discussion about the effects of investment markers, I'm pretty certain we didn't utensil up any rules.

I watched a couple of 'walkthrough' vids on YouTube before playing the first time and that helped. As it was, no-one else in my group had played it before and, other than a discussion about the effects of investment markers, I'm pretty certain we didn't utensil up any rules.
Good stuff! Played it last night actually, seemed to have no issues with the rules.

Only issue is sometimes the wordings are confusing. also, it's upkeep heavy, you need to be on the look out to adjust your reputation and income for every tile you place but also the tiles other players place affect yours. For example someone had home owners association, but kept forgetting to get $2 anytime someone else placed a residential tile.

I found it good fun, but it was pretty one sided, I made a massive money earning engine early game, then invested in the community Park to catch up on reputation. So I was earning 9 income and 9 reputation per turn. Advice to people playing this game - build up money earning first and don't worry about reputation. The others went for residential buildings to get instant points, but they were earning little money and population per turn. (Helped me that 'capitalist' was one of the goals, which gives 20 points for having least residential :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stuff! Played it last night actually, seemed to have no issues with the rules.

Only issue is sometimes the wordings are confusing. also, it's upkeep heavy, you need to be on the look out to adjust your reputation and income for every tile you place but also the tiles other players place affect yours. For example someone had home owners association, but kept forgetting to get $2 anytime someone else placed a residential tile.

I found it good fun, but it was pretty one sided, I made a massive money earning engine early game, then invested in the community Park to catch up on reputation. So I was earning 9 income and 9 reputation per turn. Advice to people playing this game - build up money earning first and don't worry about reputation. The others went for residential buildings to get instant points, but they were earning little money and population per turn. (Helped me that 'capitalist' was one of the goals, which gives 20 points for having least residential :p)
Yeah - an extra $1 on your income track at the start of the game is worth $1 per turn for the rest of the game.

The upkeep and interaction with other people's towns is one of the attractions, it gives you more to do on other people's turns.

it's upkeep heavy, you need to be on the look out to adjust your reputation and income for every tile you place but also the tiles other players place affect yours. For example someone had home owners association, but kept forgetting to get $2 anytime someone else placed a residential tile.
Agreed that you do need to stay sharp as far as income/$/rep updates are concerned ... but as they benefit you, it's worth it to do so! :)

Yeah - an extra $1 on your income track at the start of the game is worth $1 per turn for the rest of the game.

The upkeep and interaction with other people's towns is one of the attractions, it gives you more to do on other people's turns.

Yep, agreed for sure, one of the great things about the game as the mechanic is actually realistic- if you have a slaughterhouse, it benefits from *every* restaurant built, not just the ones in your suburb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back