Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Australia day has been degraded into a savage fight about taylor swift, whether or not it should be called multicultural day, bland statements about how good the country is along with passing references to hurr durrr muh indigenous people, muh adam goodes.

australian of the year is a complete mickey mouse bullshit award now too. awarded to whoever is campaigning (lol) for the latest trendy topic.

last year i spent australia day at uluru, having a bbq while the sun set, this year being home has been atrocious as you can't escape the general *******tery that this supposed national day has become.

i bet the anzacs are happy for defending our right to kill each other over taylor swift, a radio station and what is and isnt politically correct. The colonial British would be lolling about colonizing such a bunch of whingers. What on earth have we become?

Australia day has been degraded into a savage fight about taylor swift, whether or not it should be called multicultural day, bland statements about how good the country is along with passing references to hurr durrr muh indigenous people, muh adam goodes.

australian of the year is a complete mickey mouse bullshit award now too. awarded to whoever is campaigning (lol) for the latest trendy topic.

last year i spent australia day at uluru, having a bbq while the sun set, this year being home has been atrocious as you can't escape the general *******tery that this supposed national day has become.

i bet the anzacs are happy for defending our right to kill each other over taylor swift, a radio station and what is and isnt politically correct. The colonial British would be lolling about colonizing such a bunch of whingers. What on earth have we become?
Hahaha! AWESOME! I can't wait to see what your rants will be like when you hit 40!

Anyone here seen American Sniper? Seems to be creating polarising sentiment and has been attributed to a rise in anti-Muslim sentiment. It would no doubt attract the gonzo patriots.

I've read the book so know what to expect at face value from the film, the book was rife with gung-ho patriotism. But despite that and its drab straightforward and just a bit self-adulating while trying to be self-deprecating narrative it did provide some insights into the thinking of members of American military elite units and the tension between home and military life.

I thought it was an excellent movie.
Yes it was a bit "USA, USA" but what do people expect.
I thought it showed quite well the difficulties guys experience transitioning from fighting to home life pretty well.
People can criticise the way the war is depicted but it is one mans biography (and made for entertainment) and hence his viewpoint not a historical documentary....

Of all Sir Prince Philip's titles, I reckon Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle is the best...

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Canadian Forces Decoration, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

But they forgot "Phil the Greek."

You can all talk about Australia Day if you want. I'm more interested in the cool tech we'll have in the year 2000.

"What will they call Beyond 2000 when it's 2000?"

- "... Beyond 3000"

-- "They'd still call it Beyond 2000 I reckon"

- Actual conversation overheard by 12yo tribey​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all Sir Prince Philip's titles, I reckon Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle is the best...

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Canadian Forces Decoration, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

But they forgot "Phil the Greek."

I expect the Queen hasn't been so embarrassed since Sir Robert Menzies " did but see her passing by" :$

Of all Sir Prince Philip's titles ..... they forgot "Phil the Greek."
There was this great story I read about 20 years ago written by a retired journalist. It talked about how in Britain word had filtered down from on high (might have been just one particular newspaper or group of newspapers) that the term "Phil the Greek" was not to be used. So this journalist and a few of his colleagues had a competition amongst themselves to see who could get it published. An example was an article where exporters were '... working to fill the Greek quota.'
Annoyingly I can’t find a reference to this via Google. Maybe the Citizens Electoral Council of Australia aren't the loonies they appear to be. :eek:

"What will they call Beyond 2000 when it's 2000?"

- "... Beyond 3000"

-- "They'd still call it Beyond 2000 I reckon"

- Actual conversation overheard by 12yo tribey​

I think it started off as Towards 2000 and they changed it to Beyond so it worked after the tick over of the millennium.

Seems so long ago...

I think it started off as Towards 2000 and they changed it to Beyond so it worked after the tick over of the millennium.

Seems so long ago...
I remember when singing "Tonight we're going to party like it's 1999" was so full of weird futuristic promise. Now it's nostalgia.

We are still on the upward swing of the pendulum effect

Im @ the hospital with my daughter after she fell of the trampoline!

now thats Australian.
The trampoline episode of The Simpsons is often remembered for all the injured children lying around it. What is not so well remembered is Homer trying to get rid of it afterwards, the original, owner on his porch with a shotgun saying "Keep movin'" and so on. It's almost 20 years since my oldest son put his teeth through his bottom lip on ours and the %^&$ thing is still out there, tucked up on its side and overgrown with grapevine. Mrs Powerstufff is its protector, don't ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back