Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to the theatre of dreams they have lived in for the past 35 years?

Heck... even Liverpool has won a bit of silverware in that time.
Actually Liverpool have won 23 major trophy's since 1980 so that isn't a very good comparison I'd say Richmond have more in common with Everton

...and GWS and GC will probably overtake Richmond in that regard sooner rather than later. Seriously, they're a very average club but their large supporter base covers it up a little. If they had the support of say, St Kilda, North, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne etc. then they would be stuck in a whole world of s**t for a very long time.
And yet in the week leading up to the Fathers Day massacre at Adelaide Oval, Richmond supporters came on this forum and called us minnows, while also referring to their club as one of the competition's powerhouses LOL.

60 years since Western Bulldogs won their only V/AFL flag
50 years since Melbourne won a flag

35 years since Richmond won a flag
20 years since Carlton won a flag

50 years since St Kilda won their only V/AFL flag - never won a flag in the VFA

How long can they last? Swans took 72 years between drinks but had to move to another state
Boston Red Sox 1918 --->2004
Chicago White Sox 1917 ---> 2005
Chicago Cubs 1907 + 1908 --> never again
Cleveland Indians 1948 ---> never again

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...-clubs-pass-mark/story-fnelctok-1227197431142

Ben Waterworth’s analysis: THE Bombers have been threatening to break into the “premiership contender” category for the past two years. This season is when they officially do. With four players aged over 30, as well as 15 players in the peak years of 25-29, Essendon must push for a top-four spot and aim to win a final — something it hasn’t achieved since 2004. The Dons picked up Adam Cooney, James Gwilt and Jon Giles during the exchange period — all players that are ready to make an immediate impact at the club. We wait to see if — or how severely — the club will be punished for its controversial supplements program. Implications of that aside, the Bombers are primed for a top-four assault.

Pass Mark: 4th or higher

Wat8.jpg

Ummm... it is actually a LOT worse than that.

Since 1980, when KB, Malted Milkhouse and Bruce Monteith lifted Richmond's last premiership, the club has won only 3 finals.

Yup, 3.

Every club in the AFL (except the other two) have a better record.

As I've written numerous times since that glorious win at Subiaco,

We've won more finals in a 372-day span (SF vs Collingwood '13 -> SF vs Fremantle '14) than Richmond have in 32 years.

As I've written numerous times since that glorious win at Subiaco,

We've won more finals in a 372-day span (SF vs Collingwood '13 -> SF vs Fremantle '14) than Richmond have in 32 years.
You have to admire their supporters for not necking themselves yet ..

Actually Liverpool have won 23 major trophy's since 1980 so that isn't a very good comparison I'd say Richmond have more in common with Everton
Everton have won 2 FA Cups, 2 League Championships, Cup Winners Cup.

You mean West Ham!

As if anybody involved with the club would consider 2nd a pass mark this season.

Same goes for Sydney and Freo tbh.

For those clubs and Hawthorn, anything less than a flag is a failure.

Well a lot of clubs who won't get a passing grade from that article. Some passes out of whack IMO. Carlton won't get anywhere near 12th, avoiding bottom 4 would be a pass. GWS only more wins should be a pass, not having the same in what should be the year they start to show what all those high picks can do. And Richmond, after last year a finals win is a must to be considered a pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As if anybody involved with the club would consider 2nd a pass mark this season.

Same goes for Sydney and Freo tbh.

For those clubs and Hawthorn, anything less than a flag is a failure.

It's humorous reading the comments on the Fox Footy Facebook.

"Port overachieved".

What, like in 2013?

Well a lot of clubs who won't get a passing grade from that article. Some passes out of whack IMO. Carlton won't get anywhere near 12th, avoiding bottom 4 would be a pass. GWS only more wins should be a pass, not having the same in what should be the year they start to show what all those high picks can do. And Richmond, after last year a finals win is a must to be considered a pass.

Richmond should count themselves lucky we had a trip to Perth the following week to conserve energy for. Had we been playing for a percentage boost they'd have been dealt a 150 point loss that would have had them questioning their very existence.

Richmond should count themselves lucky we had a trip to Perth the following week to conserve energy for. Had we been playing for a percentage boost they'd have been dealt a 150 point loss that would have had them questioning their very existence.

Yep. If that was a Grand Final/Qualifying Final scenario they'd have been torched.

It's humorous reading the comments on the Fox Footy Facebook.
"Port overachieved".
What, like in 2013?
I've always been amused by the word "overachieved". A lot of people seem to use it as if it's a bad thing to do better than you're expected to. Sure, if you start to believe you're some kind of hot s**t then it's something to be careful of but if you keep your feet on the ground then it's a good platform to set yourself up from. How many times did Port win SANFL flags when they were not filled with the best players? But they were the best team and had the best coach who could get more out of his players.

Yep. If that was a Grand Final/Qualifying Final scenario they'd have been torched.

They were torched. The reason they were not given a 150pt shellacking was we put the cue in the rack and
umpires umpires umpires.
Seriously I have watched the first 1/2 and a bit of that game too many times and will watch it again and again.
The 1st Qtr free kick count of 12 v 3 said it all. The umps compliment the FIXture beautifully.

And who knows how many extra goals Chaplin would have handed to his direct opponent?

They were torched. The reason they were not given a 150pt shellacking was we put the cue in the rack...

That was kinda my point. Had we not had to have one eye on the week after they would've been immolated. Well and truly.

At half time of the Elimination Final I bumped into someone I knew, we were 69 points up at that time and we were discussing the absolute thing of beauty we had been witnessing and I said that if we kept it up we would be looking at a 120-130 point win. Richmond should be kissing our asses that we took our foot off.

I was disappointed at the time as was enjoying the smashing we were giving them, but in hindsight being to take our collective feet off the pedal in the second half probably won us the game the next week as we ran over Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back