Arise, Sir Prince Phillip!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he, though? Did he really? I thought Rudd and Gillard's game of 'knifey, spooney' ended up running political rings (or was it piano wire?) around their own throats rather than Tone doing anything of substance.

Much like Bill Shorten now. He really doesn't have to do much except watch Tone bash himself repeatedly in the testicles with a lump hammer just before the LNP war room moves Bishop to Queen's Pawn and we'll have even more disarray.

Australian politics, **** yeah!

They started going down the toilet the minute Abbott took over - they went from having a compliant Turnbull to somebody - somebody as dense as Abbott even - opposing them. They lost their s**t and never got it back.

I'm not giving credit to Abbott - it's a glimpse of what utterly pathetic politicians we've had on all sides for some time. None of them are leaders. None of them.

It's not a good thing no matter what your persuasion. I was glad Labor got the arse federally because they were shocking, and the sooner they got the * out of govt and ****ed off the whole Rudd Gillard freakshow the sooner they could start to recover.

I want the same thing to happen to all these Liberal *******s. The s**t cannot go on like this. Some campaigners need to step up and lead - which means setting an agenda, OWNING the debate, and implementing it.

Had plenty of help from Uncle Rupe.

That's such weak *in bullshit. Countless politicians have the weight of the media against them. They don't necessarily go to water. They find a way. They take the debate and make it their own. It's called leading.

In any case, Labor were absolutely ****ed long before NewsLtd switched from mortars to nukes.

Did he, though? Did he really? I thought Rudd and Gillard's game of 'knifey, spooney' ended up running political rings (or was it piano wire?) around their own throats rather than Tone doing anything of substance.

Much like Bill Shorten now. He really doesn't have to do much except watch Tone bash himself repeatedly in the testicles with a lump hammer just before the LNP war room moves Bishop to Queen's Pawn and we'll have even more disarray.

Australian politics, **** yeah!

Watch what Shorten actually says though, unlike Tone who needlessly promised all these things he knew he could never deliver on, the ALP have been very quiet on the policy front and have simply gone along and let the government damage itself. All the ALP will need to do now is a bit of a restructure of the party, let branch members vote in preselections, really hammer it home that the new rules will stop another knifing occur, make sure medicare and pensions are protected, and they will easily get elected. Hell, they could win two terms if they can actually reduce the defecit back down to the levels they left it in too, will be a tough ask though with it being blown out since the Libs got in.

They started going down the toilet the minute Abbott took over - they went from having a compliant Turnbull to somebody - somebody as dense as Abbott even - opposing them. They lost their s**t and never got it back.

I'm not giving credit to Abbott - it's a glimpse of what utterly pathetic politicians we've had on all sides for some time. None of them are leaders. None of them.

It's not a good thing no matter what your persuasion. I was glad Labor got the arse federally because they were shocking, and the sooner they got the **** out of govt and stuffed off the whole Rudd Gillard freakshow the sooner they could start to recover.

I want the same thing to happen to all these Liberal *******s. The s**t cannot go on like this. Some campaigners need to step up and lead - which means setting an agenda, OWNING the debate, and implementing it.

Both parties are owned by corporate interest. There is no real debate or real leadership because the system doesn't allow it.

And it's moves like this that not only allow Shorten to escape the spotlight but also give him time to build a policy platform well ahead of the next election.

Giving a knighthood to the husband of the reigning monarch in another country isn't the real issue, even though from the outside reading a headline like that makes for amusing reading.

This is:

Tony Abbott admits colleagues not consulted on Prince Philip knighthood

He will not serve out his first term as PM.

Giving a knighthood to the husband of the reigning monarch in another country isn't the real issue,
It's a political statement so it sort of is.

It's why the lack of consultation is an issue. Normally awards aren't discussed beyond the PM's office unless there are political implications.

It's a political statement so it sort of is.

It's why the lack of consultation is an issue. Normally awards aren't discussed beyond the PM's office unless there are political implications.

I don't see what political mileage he can make out of giving Prince Phillip a Knighthood of Australia - whatever that means. Is it because of the whispers for another republic referendum?

I think the greater issue though is him doing this without consulting anyone in his party room - that is a symptom of a PM that is losing control.

I don't see what political mileage he can make out of giving Prince Phillip a Knighthood of Australia - whatever that means. Is it because of the whispers for another republic referendum?

I think the greater issue though is him doing this without consulting anyone in his party room - that is a symptom of a PM that is losing control.
He probably thought he could revive the republic debate and make a wedge issue out of it. Miscalculated the fact that no one except staunch monarchists like Prince Philip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no mileage in it - hence the stupidity.

Abbott is making a political statement in regards to the monarchy and it's role in Oz. I doubt there's more than a handful of people in his cabinet that agree with his position on that. So it's only natural they wouldn't be consulted on something so stupid.

Award nominations by the PM are usually done with little consultation. But they're usually also without controversy.

Tony can't even get that right. Everything is political to him.

He's the first ever Opposition PM. A Prime Minister who still acts like he's the opposition leader.

Domestic political mileage was probably not in his thinking. It was just something within his gift as PM, to show to the Monarch he was loyal and committed. He probably didn't think it would be greeted with disdain and derision, like everyone would just quietly approve.

This is what dictators do. Never forget how he came into power.

This is a lesson, we have to learn and we have to make the next mob introduce policy to avoid a political party corrupted in such away.

684656-tony.jpg

This is just genuinely bizarre, has he fallen off his bike recently. I mean it's not like 50 knighthoods are given out and there's a token couple going to foreign dignitaries or he's been hung out to dry by an independent commitee. He's sat down and thought about it and gone 'I'll give it to Prince Phillip'.

Prince phillip has done the republic cause huge amounts of service by turning his kids into basket cases.

Phillip, abbott, bolt. Tao me theyre all a left wing plot to discredit the conservative establishment

Does annyone else find it bizarre that abbot dotes on people who acually oppose his stance on climate change ?

Had plenty of help from Uncle Rupe.

Not to mention what a cushy ride it is being in opposition facing unpopular PMs and only have to use 3 word slogans when you talk. People give him too much credit.

It can and will go on and on until the major parties cease to be major.

If Tony had even a smidgen of intellect he would Knight Tom Uren posthumously just so his widow can tell him to stick it..
Far more deserving the either recipient.

I have to admit that I don't mind knighthoods etc being reinstated, but neither offended or convinced on Phillip.

Elevating truly great people by giving them a "sir" is just a measure of accomplishment. Sir Vivian Richards for instance....has a ring to it that resonates and conveys a great respect, nothing more, no cultural cringe or self loating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back