2015 Royal Rumble

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed on the crowd, that was just petty and pathetic in my eyes. It was disrespectful to whole roster, Daniel Bryan would not have wanted that. I feel sorry for the kids at the ppv who had to sit through that, they'll grow up thinking that whinging and complaining until the get what they want is normal behaviour.

Also I thought the Rumble Ending Sucking was the Idiot Fans Booing Reigns so Loudly.

They should of worst gave no Reaction to his Win

I'm sorry, but this just factually incorrect.

The match sucked because the crowd shat on it before it even started. The other factors were minor ones that might've played into the minds of the wrestlers - but they weren't given a chance to even demonstrate whether they were factors or not.

The Goldberg/Lesnar comparison is appropriate because, if it's confirmed that Lesnar is leaving, they'll get exactly the same crowd reaction - magnified 3 times to account for the size of the buildings.

as I said Philly Crowds can be Shocking

the crowd popped for mizdow (obviously not a realistic winner at this point) and ambrose and was even cheering on rusev after bryan got eliminated. the main problem was the instant bryan was out everyone in that building knew who was going to win. just like last year where ironically reigns was the one who got the "anyone but the obvious guy" cheers
They did, but that's just normal. You know what I mean by "the reaction" though. The energy was completely gone from the arena after Bryan was eliminated. It was comparable to a kid getting his toy taken away and then sulking.

Agreed on the crowd, that was just petty and pathetic in my eyes. It was disrespectful to whole roster, Daniel Bryan would not have wanted that. I feel sorry for the kids at the ppv who had to sit through that, they'll grow up thinking that whinging and complaining until the get what they want is normal behaviour.
That's what I fear as well. I hope it doesn't become the norm that an entire show is just s**t on so badly if the crowd don't get their way.
I feel really bad for Roman as well though. I reckon he'll brush it off though.

Well Sheamus and Swagger are popular and believeable big guys, who can work face or heel up and down the card effectively.

They're upper midcarders. They weren't made into 'legitimate' draws by having the world title.

Ziggler never really had any sort of proper reign with the World title, but he's still popular and can work as face or heel up and down the card too.

Del Rio was a megastar in Mexico before he ever came to the US, and played to a different market, so WWE were smart to capitalise on that at different times. Had never worked as a heel before coming to the US, either, so I think he did pretty well for the most part.

Ziggler didn't get a thing out of being given a 'reign' before he was a star.

Del Rio never developed into the draw that they were hoping. He's more popular now than he ever was during his WWE reign, and it has nothing to do with the titles they gave him.

The point is this: giving people the title does not 'legitimise' them, or make them draws.

I'll put it a different way then - Let's say DB is 100/100 for "overness", the most over face on the roster, and Lesnar is 100/100, the most over heel on the roster, both at the peak of their powers. You then have face Reigns and heel Bray at, say, 75/100, but who both have the potential that you'd like to explore further, and elevate to main event status.

If you put DB and Lesnar together, and give DB the title, they'll both still be 100/100, and Reigns and Bray are still at their same level, too. Whereas if you put Lesnar and Reigns together, with Reigns winning the title (and all the exposure and prominence that come with it after), the latter might be boosted to 85 or 90/100, while Lesnar and also DB still remain 100/100 for now too. This way, you "make" a guy and elevate him to that next level (Reigns), while still having a super-over face available (DB) to help make another heel (Bray) into a bigger deal, too (who then might end up at 85 or 90 after a good solid feud with Bryan). It's about giving guys a rub and using established stars to elevate others, and making money off of everyone, and not just being a one star company putting on one match cards. It's not as simple as just "here's the most over guy on the roster, give him the title", because sometimes guys leapfrog title-level overness, and can survive as popular guys without the belt (New Generation-era Undertaker is an example of this). Also, once the top face starts plowing through everyone, it can become boring, and that 100/100 guy can begin to lose his shine, a la Cena vs. Heel of the Month in 2006-2007 (when he held the title for 380 days before vacating due to injury).

Do you actually think this is how wrestling booking succeeds? Never put two popular wrestlers together, because its a waste?

I mean, that makes heaps of sense if you're playing a booking simulator. It makes absolutely no sense in real life. We're not talking about an abstract world where there's a capped and markable number of 'popularity', and people are guaranteed to watch. The business can be as large or as small as the company deserves with its booking.

People tune in for matches that they want to see. The point of booking is to create an attraction that people want to see. Creating a card of mediocre matches which contain one popular person, but no real interest doesn't grow the business. See, I like Daniel Bryan, but I'm not forking out $40 to see him in a midcard match of no real importance. Put him in the main event against Brock? I'm buying.

The business has always been grown by putting major names against each other. Create a match that people are dying to see and sell it to them at the time and place of your choosing.

Flair/Rhodes, Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Sting, Rock/Austin. '100' v '100'. Applying your logic not one of those matches should have been booked. After all, the Silverdone would have gone nuts for Hogan v Earthquake and Andre v Hacksaw. That really develops those under card guys.

The thing is: the major attractions help the under card. More eyes = more opportunities to get over. Your future stars grow a lot more from that exposure than they do from a shrinking business with no real draw cards.

They did, but that's just normal. You know what I mean by "the reaction" though. The energy was completely gone from the arena after Bryan was eliminated. It was comparable to a kid getting his toy taken away and then sulking.

That's what I fear as well. I hope it doesn't become the norm that an entire show is just s**t on so badly if the crowd don't get their way.
I'm really looking forward to RAW tomorrow and seeing what Roman does. All this reaction and hate he's copped recently has done is made me like the guy even more.

The Reign Reactions from Crowds reminds me of the “Rocky Suck” Chants

Fans are so immature. Wanting to enjoy a product that they pay for. Lol. Babies.

Fans are so immature. Wanting to enjoy a product that they pay for. Lol. Babies.

They are like Little Kids when they Chuck a Tanty because they did not get what they want

The only way to "save" this situation is for WWE to have the balls to make Wrestlemania go off the air with Seth Rollins holding the championship after a successful cash in.
I agree with that end result, as Rollins is basically god atm, but I don't think it needs to be "saved" as of yet. I'm willing to let them put on some good shows.

The Reign Reactions from Crowds reminds me of the “Rocky Suck” Chants
Or "Die Rocky, die" from his Rocky Maivia days :p

You can not enjoy something without shitting on it completely. I haven't enjoyed parts of WWE in the last few years, but I don't s**t on every other wrestler that isn't the one I want to see do well.
If the fans got everything they wanted, it'd basically end up them influencing everything except the lower card. Where's the fun in that? Part of the beauty of wrestling is the ups and downs. If you don't experience the down moments, the ups aren't as good.

They are like Little Kids when they Chuck a Tanty because they did not get what they want

Its like a lot of people after their footy team loses, you go there hoping for a win/hoping for a good winner and it doesn't happen. You don't crack the shits when we lose to Carlton? That's what's it like seeing Reigns win :p

The energy was completely gone from the arena after Bryan was eliminated.

yeah, because they knew exactly what was going to happen. if something else hadve occurred, like ambrose or ziggler winning or even looking like remotely legitimate contenders, i bet that energy wouldve mostly come back.

And all that ridiculous immature cheering when they do get what they want.

It's almost like they think they're fans at a wrestling event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can not enjoy something without shitting on it completely. I haven't enjoyed parts of WWE in the last few years, but I don't s**t on every other wrestler that isn't the one I want to see do well.
If the fans got everything they wanted, it'd basically end up them influencing everything except the lower card. Where's the fun in that? Part of the beauty of wrestling is the ups and downs. If you don't experience the down moments, the ups aren't as good.

They've got every right to 's**t' on a product that they don't want to see. They've got no obligation to cheer, or remain fans.

Ups and downs are part of wrestling- generally that's why we have heels. The problem is that tonight was supposed to be an 'up'. Noone tunes into a product of all downs.

They've got every right to 's**t' on a product that they don't want to see. They've got no obligation to cheer, or remain fans.

Ups and downs are part of wrestling- generally that's why we have heels. The problem is that tonight was supposed to be an 'up'. Noone tunes into a product of all downs.

Well then stop Watching it.

When the Lose Rating and Revenue then they might listen again.

Start watching TNA and try and build them up

Of course they have no obligation to do anything. But they are fans. Fans of the product that the company puts forward. That reaction was to the booking, not the wrestlers in the ring. That's not what pro wrestling is about.

All downs? Didn't watch that amazing triple threat match I suppose?
As a whole, I didn't like the PPV. Thought the ending was ******* terrible. But the fans in the arena didn't give it a chance to end in an "up", because they gave up on it half way through the main event.

I wonder how many people actually cancelled their network sub. There's no way in hell I'm doing it, NXT alone deserves my $12-13 a month and come February 11 I can't wait for those guys to once again show Vince how a wrestling PPV should be.

Of course they have no obligation to do anything. But they are fans. Fans of the product that the company puts forward. That reaction was to the booking, not the wrestlers in the ring. That's not what pro wrestling is about.

All downs? Didn't watch that amazing triple threat match I suppose?
As a whole, I didn't like the PPV. Thought the ending was ******* terrible. But the fans in the arena didn't give it a chance to end in an "up", because they gave up on it half way through the main event.

Spot On - The People they should be Pissed at are the Writers and the People in Charge out the Back

Part of the problem I think is that the WWE (and it seems some of their fans) have confused rusted on brand loyalty with an obligation.

Fans aren't obligated to cheer the people you tell them to, they aren't obligated to attend at all or to watch your products.

What's been happening at PPVs where the fans are 'sulkng'? That's the fans checking out of the product. They're not consuming it as fans, they're saying that they don't want to watch this anymore. If they ignore it for long enough they just might get their wish.

Just a quick one for the guys criticizing the crowd... Next time the umpires have a shocker and ruin the game of footy they're in charge of with bad decisions you reckon it would be best to sit quietly and accept it like I'm assuming you all will be? Just keen to know what the proper paid spectator etiquette is.

I'm kind of confused because my hero John Cena always taught me whether you boo or cheer it doesn't matter. What matters is you make the noise to show you're passionate about the ring he loves :)

I'm all fine for Roman to win the Royal Rumble, but you just got to think, are the WWE writers trying to push the load onto the young man too soon! We all know he can and will be a huge star, you could see that as soon as the shield came into play. I'm just not too sure he is ready yet, and maybe the writers are trying to make it happen quicker.

Just a quick one for the guys criticizing the crowd... Next time the umpires have a shocker and ruin the game of footy they're in charge of with bad decisions you reckon it would be best to sit quietly and accept it like I'm assuming you all will be? Just keen to know what the proper paid spectator etiquette is.

I'm kind of confused because my hero John Cena always taught me whether you boo or cheer it doesn't matter. What matters is you make the noise to show you're passionate about the ring he loves :)
You boo, then move on. Not relentlessly boo everything that happens in the game until one of your favourite players get the ball, then when they give it off, go back to booing everything.

I have no issue with boos. But that was just plain old giving up on everything, and it's happened 2 years in a row. As the Royal Rumble is my favourite event of the year, it shits me.
People have the right to not like something, but I don't like it when a reaction that takes over the show is directed at the guys in charge rather than the guys in front of them. It rips kayfabe right out of it, and is just fans yelling "we know you did this, so * you".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back