2015 Royal Rumble

Remove this Banner Ad

Vince doesn't want to have another triple threat main event this year because they did one last year. But having Rock vs Cena twice in a row was all cool with him

Or Taker/HBK and Taker/HHH.

Nothing to do with The Rock, Cena, Taker, HBK and HHH being some of the biggest stars in WWE history or anything, and those being pretty much the last opportunities (age, health) to do those matches, which all turned out great and were rated as some of the matches of the year in their respective years, too.

I love how these "insider" reports are always taken as gospel truth, and how often they seem to correlate with exactly what the "smart fans" want to hear, too.

I believe the Rock part, he looked legitimately pissed/shaken during the in-ring celebration/backstage segment.
That was one of the worst Rock promos/interviews I've ever seen, he was definitely rattled.

Nothing to do with The Rock, Cena, Taker, HBK and HHH being some of the biggest stars in WWE history or anything...

I love how these "insider" reports are always taken as gospel truth, too.
And Daniel Bryan being the most over guy right now?

Also, I don't really take "insider dirt sheetz" as gospel truth, but it's not like Vince is constantly sharing his thoughts with the world so I'll take the next best thing until he does that

The article is correct that adding Bryan again is stupid and doesn't make sense to do it again

I would have had no issue with Reigns winning if Rollins had cashed in and we ended up with a 3 way between the Shield guys, Reigns can be hidden by 2 great workers and there is a story there

I wanted Bryan to win when Lesnar retained because I think Lesnar v Bryan could be a great match, it could have been a great match without the title though, there are a few others as well that could work well with Lesnar.

Go away from big bloke to destroy him, but younger, fast, athletic wrestler to wear him down would be more interesting.

But Reigns v Lesnar? No interest here

Ambrose vs Lesnar would be amazing. Lesnar broke the streak, brutalized Cena and broke HHHs arm? Does it look like Ambrose gives a s**t? I mean, the whole storyline of a guy that is too crazy to be intimidated by a monster like Lesnar would be sweet.

What happened with Ambrose? He was getting really over and they put him in a shitty feud/made him lose a lot.

Its strange he was almost buried, oops theres the Bigfooty hate term! They used him to elevate Wyatt so he is at a level to take on Undertaker

Not sure though where Ambrose goes from here though, maybe another match with Rollins if he isn't wrestling Orton?

The article is correct that adding Bryan again is stupid and doesn't make sense to do it again

I do have to agree that Bryan v Lesnar v Reigns would be pretty stupid, would have been better if Reigns just didn't win in the first place and they held off until he was entertaining

And Daniel Bryan being the most over guy right now?

As I explained earlier in the thread, you don't necessarily always have to give your most over guy the World title, particularly your most over face.

Also, Bryan won the title last year. They "pulled the trigger" on him, with a great lead-in storyline. Then he got injured, which is zero fault of the writers. Do people really want a variation of the same underdog story lead-in again, with the same end result?

Also, I don't really take "insider dirt sheetz" as gospel truth, but it's not like Vince is constantly sharing his thoughts with the world so I'll take the next best thing until he does that

They could realistically make up whatever they like with these sheets. It's hardly a regulated field of journalism. As I said earlier, it's amazing how often what is "reported" correlates exactly with what the "smart" fans want to hear.

What happened with Ambrose? He was getting really over and they put him in a shitty feud/made him lose a lot.

Because every tag team/stable needs a Jannetty. Never mind the fact that WWE completely sabotaged him.

He main evented two of the last four PPVs, and still remains one of the most over faces on the roster.

People really just want it all, all at once, don't they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lost by being so stupid that he couldn't unhook a cable from a monitor which then exploded in his face.

Because everyone expected that outcome from the situation, right? I know I just expected the cord to unplug/snap if he pulled it hard enough, and I can assume the Ambrose character probably did, too. Certainly wasn't expecting the monitor to blow up in his face, but it was a cool visual, a unique outcome, and I saw it as a way to continue the fued without him really having been beaten by his opponent.

He was made to look like a goober every time.

I thought he was made to look every bit an equal to Rollins and Bray, and lost the matches via some freakish occurances (TV blowing up, Bray's appearance in the Cell, etc.). Nevermind the fact that he all but no-sold a number of situations that would in reality severely injure most people (skull smashed through breeze blocks, repeated attempts to crush his windpipe, the TV thing, etc.)

MnLdbqh.gif

Igloo

As I explained earlier in the thread, you don't necessarily always have to give your most over guy the World title, particularly your most over face.

Also, Bryan won the title last year. They "pulled the trigger" on him, with a great lead-in storyline. Then he got injured, which is zero fault of the writers. Do people really want a variation of the same underdog story lead-in again, with the same end result?

They could realistically make up whatever they like with these sheets. It's hardly a regulated field of journalism. As I said earlier, it's amazing how often what is "reported" correlates exactly with what the "smart" fans want to hear.

I enjoy Bryan so I want him to be champion. Like how I go for Freo and I want them to win the premiership. If Fremantle won this year I'd love it even more if it happened all over again next year.

It's also amazing how often Dave Meltzer and MetsFan seem to be correct too.

we're probably going to get an underdog story with the same result (babyface triumphant) with reigns vs lesnar anyway.

just because someone got injured just after they were given the ball doesnt mean you cant give it to them when they come back.

this is what i dont get. why not run with bryan for as long as they can this year while the iron is hot, let everyone get the BRYAN!!! stuff out of their system, make every last cent they can out of his schtick and go with reigns next year? hes not going anywhere, hes only going to get better and he (probably) wouldnt get booed out of the building.

Agree. A slow rise to the top for reigns while letting him improve is how it should have gone. He wouldn't be forgotten, or lost in the shuffle, give him solid fueds and a US / IC run then push him as hard as you want.

I'm annoyed that reigns was given then win, and I didn't really care nor want daniel Bryan to win.

People I'd rather have seen win the rumble:

Rusev
Rollins
Ambrose
Ziggler
Wyatt
Orton

The crowd has every right to s**t on something they don't like, as hard as they did today. The only voice we have as wrestling fans is crowd reactions, and by simply not watching or paying for the network. The crowd that was there not only didn't get what they'd hoped to see, they get the over the top protection of reigns, a winner a growing portion of wrestling fans didn't want to see. (You can piss and moan about IWC and snarks all you want, but those 10 year old kids aren't the ones paying for the network)

The wwe new this was happening. They took every precaution to minimize this backlash. They failed horribly. If even the rock can't save it, you're in trouble. I don't blame roman reigns at all. This is entirely on Vince / creative. Reigns is just the unfortunate guy they've thrust in this situation.

I honestly feel this may wind up hurting reigns more than it'll help him.

The obvious answer is that they brought Bryan back too soon - they should've held him off until tomorrow, or even the Raw after Wrestlemania. It would've lessened the heat that the crowd heaped on Reigns today.

But with that said, I think nearly everyone on this thread is getting carried away about the Bryan factor. I think that's simplistic. In fact I think it's wrong - this isn't really an argument about Bryan.

I think the timing of Reigns injury, those brutal promos that he cut while injured, the obviously bullshit Superstar of the year award that signaled the intention to shove him down our throats, the fact that he came back as the same guy that he was before without adding to his 3 big moves or using the break to get out of his Shield ring attire, and then the even more brutal promos that he's cut since he's been back...

The problem wasn't Bryan, the problem has been how they've used Reigns.

I said earlier today that WWE have, for 2 years in a row, badly underestimated the extent to which their fans don't want to be told who to cheer and who "their" star is. This needs to be organic. Hell, even Cena got over as a face by being a heel before they eventually turned him. The whole point of Daniel Bryan was that it was organic.

So all that is to say that this was nothing to do with Bryan. If it wasn't Bryan today - if they had've held him off til after the Rumble - it would've been someone else. It would've been Ambrose or Ziggler.

Still, Meltzer is wrong. They could've recaptured the magic of a year ago because Bryan never got his rematch, because Stephanie never went away from the "B+ Player" s**t even after Bryan beat HHH, and because once Punk left, the whole Authority angle was really Bryan vs the Authority. The way to end the Authority angle isn't with Sting - it would've been with Bryan winning the belt back at WM, having Rollins cash in to end the show and ruin the moment, and then eventually beating the golden boy Seth Rollins. (And given the match quality Bryan vs Rollins could've given us over 2-3 PPVs, that would've been... ahem... best for business.)

It's funny how in 1997 at the "start" of the Attitude Era Vince told the viewers that he believed they were tired of having their intelligence insulted. Fast forward to 2015 and that's exactly what he's doing.

It's incredible how Damon_3388 and the WWE defence legion think,

Something goes over well = Vince/WWE have ******* nailed it

Something does not go over well = Fans are dicks and don't understand what's happening and why

Kane you can half-believe on a good day but Big Show as a threat?? He's barely mobile, his moves look like crap and he'll be in a wheelchair in 5 years.

He main evented two of the last four PPVs, and still remains one of the most over faces on the roster.

People really just want it all, all at once, don't they?
So do you think Rock/Austin should have main evented 3 Wrestlemanias? I mean, they were the most over people on their roster, so they should've just been in some meaningless throwaway match and used that main event slot to elevate someone else right?

Is it me, or are wrestling fans getting pissier and whinier these days? I didn't like Roman winning any more than anyone else, but their reaction after Bryan got eliminated was just sad, like a toddler throwing the toys out of the pram. Like with a lot of things these days, wrestling fans seem to be so shortsighted and s**t on anything that isn't instant gratification.

I'm a Bryan fan, and I agree the end of the Rumble was s**t and Roman wasn't a good choice as winner. But s**t, there were still some good spots after Bryan got eliminated where the performers got nothing because the crowd was too busy sulking that their favourite doesn't win every time he steps into the ring. If the instant-gratification crowd had their way last year, D-Bry would've entered and won the Rumble (after kayfabe enduring an epic war with Bray Wyatt), and won the title at Mania in a 1 on 1 match. The same crowd that would cry foul because Cenawinslol, expects Bryan to win anything and everything he's a part of (and even last year, a Rumble he would've entered being kayfabe extermely battered and bruised). I might be the minority, but I enjoyed his hard slog road to get to the Mania main event more than I would've if his title shot had been booked at the Rumble. The tough road to get there makes it all that much sweeter.

Just to clarify, I agreed with them booing the Kane/Big Show eliminations, and Roman winning. But sulking for 20 minutes because your favourite went out early? Grow up. The people we want to win, don't always have to win.

Imagine what sort of reaction a spot like Maven eliminating Undertaker would get these days with a "smart" crowd. Or how many would be cancelling their network subscriptions because McMahon screwed Austin, again?

Anyway, that triple threat was the stuff of legend. Apart from putting the belt on him, it couldn't have made Seth look any better. Amazing match.

The first half of the Rumble was pretty good, marked out like a bitch when Bubba Ray's music hit.

Also had a good laugh during the divas tag match where Nattie and Paige forgot they had tagged and then tagged again, while the ref tried for like a minute to get them to swap again, all while the commentators slag off the ref for "missing the tag".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back