2015 Royal Rumble

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
MnLdbqh.gif

I think this sucked because it was Big Show and Kane - they're 2 old guys that WWE has gotten just about everything they can out of.

But if this had've been Rusev and an ally, or maybe Wyatt and Harper doing this - knocking guys out and just dumping them - I think it would've been pretty different and pretty cool.

That was one ******* weird PPV.

Didn't card much for the undercard but I thought the Uso's Vs Miz/Mizdow was pretty good.

Now first things first. I find it really weird that Triple H and Steph would be talking about Sting for him to not show up at all. I was half expecting him to come out in the end but I'll get to that later.

The championship match for the most part was pretty good but by god did I have to roll my eyes at the amount of finishers that were done and not just on Lesnar. And this is one of the problems with the WWE, they don't allow the wrestlers to expand their movesets so that we can see moves they don't usually do. That's one of the reasons why that Punk Vs Cena match on RAW before WM 29 was so great. They were pulling out moves they don't usually do and it looked like they were doing anything to win (I know Rollins did and it was great but the finishers still pissed me off). All they have done in this match is make finishers absolutely redundant (I know this hasn't been the first time). But apart from that annoyance I thought it was great.

PS: Good work WWE on capitalizing on breaking the Streak by making Lesnar a face by default because of your booking :thumbsu:

Now the rumble.

I marked the * out for Bubba Ray. Was soo good seeing him and I was hoping D-Von was coming out aswell. Was disappointed with the lack off "Get up, get up, get up, drop the bombshell".

The Bryan elimination took me back to when Lesnar broke the streak. My jaw drop for literally five minutes I was that shocked about his early elimination. When I recovered I realised why they did it but was still shocking. I do find it funny though how the WWE knew if he was in the final four then Reigns would be s**t on so they eliminate him early. Probably the clearest indicator that the E know how over Bryan is, they just don't want to accept it.

Rest of the match was meh. Mainly disappointed with the fact they could done more on a storyline perspective to get other feuds going. A hell of a lot of people want to see Cody Rhodes Vs Goldust and they could've soo easily set it up today and they didn't. Same with Miz and Mizdow. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind an undercard at WrestleMania which had some storylines to go with it and not just thrown together for shits n gigs.

Kane and Big Show can you two please just retire already. You guys have nothing left to accomplish and your ability to look credible to put young people over was lost years ago.

I think this is the first time ever I've seen the Rock return and not mark out. I actually rolled my eyes at it to be honest.

Now onto Reigns. I don't get why people like him, I really don't. Sure he's a pretty good looking guy and has that "look" but what exactly does he do to entertain people? He can't talk and he's not that good of a wrestler (well he isn't to me anyway). People love Bryan because he's a great wrestler and atleast decent on the mike and same goes for others that are over in the WWE at the moment. I think people underestimate the power of being a good wrestler and how it gets you over with the crowd. And especially nowadays where the WWE can't bring out compelling storylines you need to be good in the ring to win you over with the crowd.

Now before someone says "Well if you don't like it then don't watch it" I say get stuffed. I pay the WWE money so I can complain all I want and I keep watching because I want it to improve like most of us do.

And last but not least, come back CM Punk I miss you.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
So do you think Rock/Austin should have main evented 3 Wrestlemanias? I mean, they were the most over people on their roster, so they should've just been in some meaningless throwaway match and used that main event slot to elevate someone else right?

You're obviously misinterpreting what I'm saying, and taking it to a ridiculous extreme, by assuming it's a "literally every time" proposition, without exceptions.

Daniel Bryan isn't The Rock or Austin though, either.

Last edited:
So I'm still watching the Rumble, and Bryan got eliminated.

If anybody needed any more proof that WWE do not give a * about their fans, just look at the Bryan situation. It was obvious to absolutely everybody that the majority of the fans wanted Bryan, but still the WWE just does not give a * and just does whatever they want. And it's absolutely ridiculous. They actually have what the fans want in front of them, which will gain them more money, and they go the opposite direction. It makes no sense at all.

I'm not going to praise the crowd for shitting on the Rumble. But at the same time, I can't say I blame them at all. This was a crowd that was hot all night and as soon as Bryan's gone, they're not really shitting on everything per se, they've just gone super flat.

And Reigns just got put in, and he's already getting the Cena treatment. Good one WWE. You dun goofed.

As a sidenote, this is the strangest Rumble I've seen in a while.

Chops18

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juve, Cleveland Indians
It's incredible how Damon_3388 and the WWE defence legion think,

Something goes over well = Vince/WWE have ******* nailed it

Something does not go over well = Fans are dicks and don't understand what's happening and why

Kane you can half-believe on a good day but Big Show as a threat?? He's barely mobile, his moves look like crap and he'll be in a wheelchair in 5 years.

It's also incredible how the fans on the other side of the fence think too. Goes both way's.

It's quite easy to see Big Show as a threat regardless of how he moves, he's a fricken giant.

NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
You're obviously misinterpreting what I'm saying, and taking it to a ridiculous extreme, by assuming it's a "literally every time" proposition, without exceptions.

Daniel Bryan isn't The Rock or Austin though, either.
Bryan, like Austin at the time, is the most over babyface on the roster. Therefore, he should be main eventing Wrestlemania. It's booking 101.

As per D.Meltzer:

essentially, creative knew people wouldn't like it (but underestimated how much they wouldn't like it) but still went ahead with it.

if they knew people were going to s**t on it, why the f*** would you do it?

When the Rock as a returning legend gets booed, you know you've ****ed up.

This is WWE's way of saying "You'll like what I tell you to like dammit!" It's not just that Reigns doesn't make sense as a winner, it's that the whole booking of this Rumble made no sense. Bryan out so early, Wyatt out without a fight, same with Ziggler, Big Show/Kane dominating at the end, Mizdow out extremely early, Stardust/Goldust barely had any split whatsoever, and R-*******-Truth starting the Rumble.

I just don't understand the thought process behind this. It should be pretty simple: Get behind the guys that the crowd wants. Don't push the guys to the moon that it's obvious the crowd is starting to turn on. Let guys get over organically. Don't try to force what you want down our throat.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's incredible how Damon_3388 and the WWE defence legion think,

Something goes over well = Vince/WWE have ******* nailed it

Something does not go over well = Fans are dicks and don't understand what's happening and why

I don't see things as "WWE vs. the fans", and I don't have those direct ingrained thought patterns and outcomes, either.

I honestly don't have any particular favourites, so I don't see things from an "I want this guy to win" perspective. I watch for the whole show, and not just for the main event or for one guy. I'm siding with myself, expressing my opinion on the booking, while staying optimistic and not assuming it's all going to be crap viewing before it's even happened.

Bryan, like Austin at the time, is the most over babyface on the roster. Therefore, he should be main eventing Wrestlemania. It's booking 101.

Doesn't exactly work as clear-cut as that, or necessarily have to be that way, especially when you've already done the same storyline leading to WrestleMania with the same guy the year before.

And again, Bryan isn't Austin level.

Think about it this way - Bryan doesn't need the title to get or be over, whereas winning the title "legitimises" Reigns.
The title shouldn't legitimise the wrestler. The wrestler should legitimise the title.

Depends on the wrestler, depends on the situation. Can be used both ways.
No, it doesn't.

The wrestler should legitimise the title. Always. If a title is needed to get a wrestler over, that title becomes redundant, and you end up with situations like the IC title. Rusev is helping to legitimise the US title right now, and I think it means something now. Compare that to the IC title, and I really couldn't care less about that title whatsoever.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No, it doesn't.

The wrestler should legitimise the title. Always. If a title is needed to get a wrestler over, that title becomes redundant, and you end up with situations like the IC title. Rusev is helping to legitimise the US title right now, and I think it means something now. Compare that to the IC title, and I really couldn't care less about that title whatsoever.

Well we disagree then, don't we.

It seems some people here have a very black and white view of wrestling and how it should be.

So I've gone through 50 pages of this thread, and the same arguments keep coming up.

It's not that people hate Reigns, or really wanted Bryan. It's the fact that WWE, once again, is not listening to the fans.

The Rock's return got booed.

Just think about that sentence. The Rock's return got booed. That is a sentence I never though I would ever hear or read. And it was clear to everybody that he was meant to return to get a pop and to get the people to cheer for Reigns. When you're forced to get one of the most entertaining and charismatic superstars to make an appearance to make sure that your new chosen face gets a pop, you should realise that you're making a mistake.

It's not the fact that Bryan got eliminated that is making everybody so shitty. Sure, the crowd went dead when Bryan got eliminated. But rather than the reason, it was more the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to WWE's booking over the past few months. And if you want to go back even further, years.

The crowd were dead, but they did pop/boo for a few things: Cena reaction for Reigns' entrance, pops for Ziggler, Ambrose and Mizdow. In Mizdow, he's somebody that wasn't meant to succeed and was given a bad gimmick, but he just made it work like all hell. In Ambrose, we have someone that was pushed and yet never won, was made to look like a goof, and has pretty much become an afterthought to the WWE despite main eventing a couple of PPV's recently. In Ziggler, we have a guy that you can look at and say that, honestly, the WWE never wanted him to succeed. If you look at his booking, for the most part it has been horrible. His IC title reigns have been lacklustre, his world title reign was abysmal. He had a great moment at Survivor Series, but it was overshadowed by Sting, and since then there has been no follow up whatsoever.

Either Ziggler or Ambrose would have been good choices to win the Rumble. Ziggler vs Brock I wouldn't buy honestly, but it would still be better than Reigns vs Brock. Ambrose vs Brock is the way they should've gone once they witnessed the crowd utterly aborting the match once Bryan went out and Reigns came in. Hell even tell Titus "Sorry mate, but we need to make some changes" and send out Ziggler in his spot, and chuck Rollins in at number 30. It wouldn't have been too hard to change it on the fly once the crowd reaction was obvious.

But WWE always sticks to the course, apart from last year where they deviated from it. And it lead to one of the best WM moments ever, probably the best since Benoit at WM 20. So why are they so intent on not wavering?

We can all agree on one thing though: Rollins is god.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
In Ambrose, we have someone that was pushed and yet never won, was made to look like a goof, and has pretty much become an afterthought to the WWE despite main eventing a couple of PPV's recently.

Ambrose vs Brock is the way they should've gone once they witnessed the crowd utterly aborting the match once Bryan went out and Reigns came in.

So Ambrose is main eventing PPVs, but he's "an afterthought", but he should be winning the Rumble. Ok...

So Ambrose is main eventing PPVs, but he's "an afterthought", but he should be winning the Rumble. Ok...
He main evented TLC. They renamed the PPV TLC and stairs. Come on.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He main evented TLC. They renamed the PPV TLC and stairs. Come on.

He main evented TLC and Hell in a Cell. That's two of the past four PPVs, in the signature match the PPV is named after. How exactly is he "an afterthought"? And if he is somehow "an afterthought", why should he be winning the Rumble?

He main evented TLC and Hell in a Cell. That's two of the past four PPVs, in the signature match the PPV is named after. How exactly is he "an afterthought"? And if he is somehow "an afterthought", why should he be winning the Rumble?
You will honestly twist anybody's words to suit your argument won't you?

Dean Ambrose winning the Rumble wasn't even my point, at all, but I'll bite.

He main evented those two shows, true. But it's obvious that WWE didn't want the focus to be on him. In Hell in a Cell, he got distracted at the end by Wyatt and lost to one of Wyatt's signature moves. Not his finisher, his signature. Nobody loses to people's signature moves. At TLC, he lost to an exploding TV. Name me another main event wrestler that would lose to an exploding TV? Or to a hologram?

He is an afterthought at the moment for WWE. He's the guy where they think "Hey let's send Ambrose out now, he'll get a good pop." Honestly, apart from TLC, Hell in a Cell, and his ambulance match, tell me one segment he was involved in in the past 3 months that wasn't absolutely ridiculous.

As for why he should have won it, or at least he was a possibility, they could have repaired the damage. Make him go absolutely crazy. And not funny crazy, but serial killer crazy. Have him bring charis in and start killing people, tossing people over the top rope at will. Have him win the whole damn thing, and cut promos about how Brock is a monster, but he's not afraid of monsters. He's fought monsters before and he's come out on top and Brock is just another guy in front of him that he needs to chop down to get to the top.

Have a crazy match at WM. No holds barred, just go all out. Ambrose wins. Rollins comes out, curb stomp, cash in. Rollins/Ambrose feud continues, now for the title.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You will honestly twist anybody's words to suit your argument won't you?

I didn't twist anything, just pointed out the contradictions you were presenting.

He is an afterthought at the moment for WWE. He's the guy where they think "Hey let's send Ambrose out now, he'll get a good pop." Honestly, apart from TLC, Hell in a Cell, and his ambulance match, tell me one segment he was involved in in the past 3 months that wasn't absolutely ridiculous.

This pretty much sounds like Mick Foley's main event run in WWE.

As for why he should have won it, or at least he was a possibility, they could have repaired the damage. Make him go absolutely crazy. And not funny crazy, but serial killer crazy. Have him bring charis in and start killing people, tossing people over the top rope at will. Have him win the whole damn thing, and cut promos about how Brock is a monster, but he's not afraid of monsters. He's fought monsters before and he's come out on top and Brock is just another guy in front of him that he needs to chop down to get to the top.

Have a crazy match at WM. No holds barred, just go all out. Ambrose wins. Rollins comes out, curb stomp, cash in. Rollins/Ambrose feud continues, now for the title.

So Ambrose can't beat Seth or Bray Wyatt one-on-one (admittedly, other factors at play than just a clean pin), but he's suddenly got superpowers and can destroy everyone in the Rumble, and then go on to beat Lesnar one-on-one in a no DQ match? Ok...

I didn't twist anything, just pointed out the contradictions you were presenting.
How about the rest of my post that you conveniently ignored?

This pretty much sounds like Mick Foley's main event run in WWE.
I wasn't watching during Foley's run, so I'll take your word for it.

So Ambrose can't beat Seth or Bray Wyatt one-on-one (admittedly, other factors at play than just a clean pin), but he's suddenly got superpowers and can destroy everyone in the Rumble, and then go on to beat Lesnar one-on-one in a no DQ match? Ok...
Jesus Christ man. It's easy.

Dean gets frustrated. Dean snaps. Dean goes wild. Push him a bit more and suddenly, yes he can destroy everyone in the Rumble.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
How about the rest of my post that you conveniently ignored?

I've already addressed how he lost the matches earlier, and disagreed with your cynical viewpoint on the outcomes.

I wasn't watching during Foley's run, so I'll take your word for it.

From late 1998 right through 1999, Foley was pretty much a bumbling idiot comedy character, who was also one of the WWE's most popular guys, and won the WWE Championship and main evented PPVs. TBH, he looked far more foolish on far more occassions than Ambrose ever has, and probably copped far more losses than wins in those main events, but still remained wildly popular, like Dean Ambrose seems to be.

Jesus Christ man. It's easy.

Dean gets frustrated. Dean snaps. Dean goes wild. Push him a bit more and suddenly, yes he can destroy everyone in the Rumble.

Yeah, it is easy... if you ignore the flow of recent booking, and have on/off switches for who has that necessary momentum this week/month/year.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Title match was something. Did contain too many finishers but was still pretty epic. The Rumble? Yuck. So many things wrong with it. Agree that Kane and Big Show need to #### off. Would have much preferred Cesaro, Wyatt, Rusev continuing to eliminate people. Then Reigns wins. FFS even Rusev was more popular and would have made for an interesting Lesnar opponent. Reigns is not ready but shoved into the spot anyway. I feel bad for him that what should have been career defining for him has been ruined by WWE's ignorance.

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
Obviously it's still real to some people, dammit

Back