List Mgmt. The Core-Who stays and who goes;re-signings and departures

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN was just talking about the Giants then and our capacity to keep our list together going forward. A bit of speculation, but the two hosts appeared to think that the spotlight is now on Treloar.

He has verbally committed more than any other player including the signees, if he is our biggest issue we are laughing :)

SEN was just talking about the Giants then and our capacity to keep our list together going forward. A bit of speculation, but the two hosts appeared to think that the spotlight is now on Treloar.

They obviously don't do any research beyond the back page of the Herald Sun. Treloar has consistently said he wants to stay the long haul.

And another one not participating in the mass exodus....

'I can't see myself leaving'
Ashley Browne January 25, 2015 1:11 PM
356862-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

I'm loving Sydney at the moment and I can't see myself leaving the club
Stephen Coniglio

FOUNDATION Greater Western Sydney midfielder Stephen Coniglio is hopeful of signing a new contract this year to remain with the club.

The 21-year-old is one of several big name GIANTS along with Jeremy Cameron, Adam Treloar and Devon Smith who come out of contract at the end of this year.

But after three years of on-field struggles, the GIANTS appear to be coming good and Coniglio wants to reap the rewards.

"It will play itself out," Coniglio said of the impending negotiations.

"I'm loving Sydney at the moment and I can't see myself leaving the club. I'm really excited about what's to come in the next few years."

Coniglio said the bond between those who joined the club when it started remains incredibly tight and the lure of returning to Perth, where his entire family lives, is not particularly strong.

Whereas the entire playing group first lived together at Breakfast Point when the club was formed, he said they had diversified now and spread throughout Sydney.

Coniglio now lives in Randwick – the heartland of the crosstown Sydney Swans as it happens – and negotiates the 35-minute commute each day to the GIANTS base at Homebush.

"The more mature we get, the less time we need to spend together unlike when we first got there," he said.

"As good as it was to go home and spend time with everyone, now we can go our separate ways and build a life for ourselves outside footy."

That's nice and all but these fluff pieces where player x says ' I love Sydney and can't see myself anywhere else and a new contract will sort itself out,'.
Are all getting rather old. But hopefully we will re-sign a few more before the start of round one but just looking at who we have re-signed so far we are looking at a best 22 from 2016 and beyond as:

Shaw, Davis, Kennedy
Mohr, Patfull, Haynes
Scully, Greene, Whitfield
McCarthy,Tomlinson, Stewart
Lamb, Patton, Kelly
Mumford, Ward, Griffen
Phillips, Plowman, Hampton, Pickett

So still a good team but a few more re-signings would make it a lot better.

So while we have made some important re-signings in the likes of Haynes, Tomlinson, Kelly and Greene we still have the following guys who haven't re-signed yet: Coniglio, Shiel, Palmer, Smith, Bugg, Wilson, Treloar, Cameron, Buntine, Williams, Townsend, Hoskin-Elliott, Addison.

And of that group Coniglio, Shiel, Smith, Treloar, Cameron, Hoskin-Elliott are the guys we still need to lock away with the other guys being at different levels of importance but not really essential.

He has to travel 35 minutes? He lives in Randwick? He doesn't want to leave Sydney?

Looks like he'll join the exodus of players leaving us and end up at the...Thydney Thwannies

Some interesting comments from Taylor Adams which show a consistent theme I am hearing. Both Adams, Boyd and Coniglio have all mentioned the need to have a life out of footy and which was a factor in Boyd and Adams moving back home. For others obviously moving out of Breakfast point and developing their own life is enough. Always a hard thing to do in a new city though.

Coniglio:
"As good as it was to go home and spend time with everyone, now we can go our separate ways and build a life for ourselves outside footy."

Adams:
"I loved my two years up at the Giants but it was hard to get away from footy," and get smashed with my mates on weekends!

Boyd:
"... spending time with people who don't play football and "feeling like a proper part of the family again," ... plus a million a year helps!

Based on the living preferences of players (a lot like to surf it seems) the Westconnex road project will make a big difference in the future.

No doubt there will be more players leave for opportunities or homesickness but that happens to all clubs - even the biggest. I am sure someone like Shiel will leave at the end of the year but I am also sure that it will be in return for someone/something of equivalent value.

Some interesting comments from Taylor Adams which show a consistent theme I am hearing. Both Adams, Boyd and Coniglio have all mentioned the need to have a life out of footy and which was a factor in Boyd and Adams moving back home. For others obviously moving out of Breakfast point and developing their own life is enough. Always a hard thing to do in a new city though.

Coniglio:

Adams:
"I loved my two years up at the Giants but it was hard to get away from footy," and get smashed with my mates on weekends!

Boyd:
"... spending time with people who don't play football and "feeling like a proper part of the family again," ... plus a million a year helps!

Based on the living preferences of players (a lot like to surf it seems) the Westconnex road project will make a big difference in the future.

No doubt there will be more players leave for opportunities or homesickness but that happens to all clubs - even the biggest. I am sure someone like Shiel will leave at the end of the year but I am also sure that it will be in return for someone/something of equivalent value.
Shiel lives in Balmain. It's hard to leave Balmain

eddie will be thrilled for you about hopper :D
does that mean Eddie has a Hoppers Crossing?
that's a bit far from his home.
sorry bad joke.
just so amped about our team.
there is going to be some SERIOUS competition for spots :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to see if any fans have news on any contract extensions? or if in the past they have been announced closer to the start of the season?
On a side note liked the article on Hampton that is on the Giants website, the determination he had to come back after injury for round 23 showed great determination and discipline and the way he talked about the training intensity of the players from his years draft impressed upon me that this will be a great season for the club

Just wondering if GWS fans think that if Patton hadnt done his knee it would of been him playing for the dogs instead of Boyd?

He has said a couple of times that he got the offer from the dogs but it was never seriously considered, that he was always going to re-sign with us after we stood by him after the first reconstruction.

Now of course many will say that he's only saying that due to some kind of marketing corporate line sort of thing and because he had no choice but to stay after his second reco, but I like to take his word for it. I'm not going to call him a liar.

What is interesting was that it is admitted that the dogs approached our player with an offer mid season and that Tom Boyd was their second choice.

Boyd is definitely cut from a different thread to Tomlinson, Cameron and others central to GWS playing culture. He does remind me of a snooty, east side rich kid, good thing he can catch it!

On other potential leavers for GWS, I can see Smith, Treloar & Cameron resigning; they come across as embedded team people. Coniglio, Shiel and WHE are going to get bombarded with offers.

Boyd is definitely cut from a different thread to Tomlinson, Cameron and others central to GWS playing culture. He does remind me of a snooty, east side rich kid, good thing he can catch it!

On other potential leavers for GWS, I can see Smith, Treloar & Cameron resigning; they come across as embedded team people. Coniglio, Shiel and WHE are going to get bombarded with offers.

Cogs going nowhere... http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-01-25/i-cant-see-myself-leaving-coniglio-close-to-new-deal

You'd wonder what T Boyd would think of this conversation?

In any case, think it's going to be an interesting year for GWS management to shore up its list before the end of the season.

Can't keep the wolves from them all. Be interesting to know which (personalities aside) are the main priority. Surely Cameron's signature is #1?

You'd wonder what T Boyd would think of this conversation?

In any case, think it's going to be an interesting year for GWS management to shore up its list before the end of the season.

Can't keep the wolves from them all. Be interesting to know which (personalities aside) are the main priority. Surely Cameron's signature is #1?

Hard not to think we won't lose 1-2 guys with shiel the most likely but as always time will tell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back