Training Report - Tues 27th Jan

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great day for watching training today - Overcast & Cool.

Today’s training was basically match type drills for the first 90 minutes which was awesome to watch. The 6 per side matches happening at three different parts of the ground and then a full match drill with about 15 or 16 a side. I finally got to have a look at some of the guys I haven’t yet been able to watch at previous training sessions and some of the players you have all been asking about. The really good news is that the cyclone fence is gone so I could get closer and see much better.

Alex Woodward was really impressive, one of the day’s stand outs for me, he was in everything. Getting clearances, dishing it off and then running hard to receive the ball and get it into the forward 50. He has super clean hands and his kicking was perfection. Between him and Billy our more senior mids should be really worried.

Got my first real look at Jed Anderson today and I liked what I saw. His mix of controlled aggression and skill makes him very dangerous. He was winning plenty of the ball inside and then getting to exactly the right spot to receive and kick long. He looks more imposing physically too.

Jared Hardisty was the other stand out today. I have pumped him up in most of my reports but today was probably the best yet. His ability to get the ball out from congestion is Sewell like. He always manages to keep his hands free and get the ball away even when being tackled. He also took what Cam Bruce referred to as mark of the year out on the wing. Running forward at full pelt with the high ball coming over his head from behind, lunging and taking it one handed. Got an audible reaction from all the players and a massive pump up from the coach. This guy will play senior footy sooner or later.

Got a really decent look at Jono O’Rourke today. He is a really smooth mover, good in traffic, very evasive and made great decisions. He is deceptively tall, has a little bit of the Grant Birchall hunch going on which might be why some have thought him to be shorter than advertised. He was really good today and knows how to get to where the ball will be and how to use it when he gets it.

Schoey was in good touch. Took a lovely pack mark in defence. Got to front position and took the mark at full stretch. He was also doing some nice defensive work in the match drills, making a good contest and punching the ball away. His one on one harassing of the forwards was really good as well. Got lots of good feedback from Cam Bruce.

Timmy O’B. This guy is a really smooth mover. Glides across the ground and takes his marks at full stretch, appears to have glue on his hands as he never drops them. He competed well against Hodge in marking contests, taking some good contested marks, drew a lot of praise form the Captain. What really stood out was his elite kicking, beautiful long kicks that always hit the target. He looked very much at home in the drills and consistently gets to all the right places and finds space.

Marc Pittonet got murdered by Big Boy in the ruck today but was impressive around the ground. He’s a good runner and seems composed when he has the ball in hand, and he got plenty of it.

Ceglar just continues to impress. His contested marking must just about be second best in the team behind Hale and maybe McEvoy. He was aggressive around the ground, splitting packs and taking marks.

Billy Hartung is another one that has looked particularly good all through Jan and today was no exception. His running and kicking was on full display today, being used as the link up man on the wing where he dominated. This is a guy who knows that he belongs out there and seems to have the full confidence of his team mates.

Another one that really impressed was Whitecross. He looks well and truly ready to play. He is moving beautifully and looks like he could drop in to the mid field now with no issues.

Daniel Howe. First good look at Daniel today and he is a little raw but there is a heap to work with. Gets to the right places, competes well and looks composed. Probably won’t play this year but you never know.

Frawley again was dominant in defence. Marking, spoiling, getting front position. I didn’t see him lose a single contest, won most, 50/50 on some but never lost. When it comes to disposal, senior guys like Gibbo, Hodge & Lewis yell instructions to him so it looks like he is getting the education he has missed out on pre-hawthorn. Once that becomes instinctive, look out.

Now to Shem. Saw him participate in match sims for the first time ever. Played as a defender against Rough & Gunston (2 on 1) and was soundly beaten, but they are two of the best forwards in the game so, nothing to be ashamed of. When he switched to playing as a forward, he became a lot more confident, running off his defender and marking. His kicking has come a long way, all kicks hit the target and he was very composed with the ball, Drawing the man to him to create space before handballing off. Great signs from Shem.

Kaiden Brand was involved in a lot of the play more as flanker than a KPD. He has a bit of pace about him, really reminds me of Dustin Fletcher.

Hodgey = Legend. Imposing figure on the ground, always instructing and barking orders while setting up the play from half back. Things got a bit willing with him and Simpkin at one stage after a contest. Hodgey wasn't happy and let Simpkin know it and some pushing and shoving ensued. Speaking of Simpkin, he looked good today as well, playing in the midfield.

Mitch, Spang, Hale, Langford & Langford Jnr sat out the drills and did other work.

JM-L was there but didn’t train outside with the group, he went in very early.

In summary, with Billy, Woody, Jed, Hardisty, Whitecross & Simpkin pushing for spots, our older mids will have their work cut out keeping their spots. This is only a good thing for hawthorn. With guys like, Kurt, Brand, TOB etc. pushing for KP spots we are in a very, very good place.

Hope you enjoy this report, it will probably be my last for now. I have enjoyed being able to bring you guys my thoughts and impressions from training during Jan and I will aim to do the same next January as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Axeman. Much appreciated.

With the fat lady gearing up to sing on the careers of our class mids - Hodgey, Mitch and Burgers, it has been of some concern as to how we would replace them. Your report mentions the exceptional performances of 6 possible replacements - Hartung, Woody, Jono, Hardisty, Jed and Whitey. If these guys continue to improve, along with the emergence of Langers last year, our future is in good hands.

Credit to Clarko and the club for the development approach taken. Even the next tier of talls is coming along nicely. Let's hope they all stick around for the duration. It will be a wild ride.

Thanks so much for all your efforts and reports. They are little highlights throughout my week and get my excitement levels up more and more each week when reading them!!!

Another comprehensive report, and a great one to boot, Axeman well done and thanks once again.

How did my boy Lithers look? And Doc while im at it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks The_Axeman nice work.

Before everyone blows their load, lets not forget it's training so the players are under minimal pressure or pressure they are expecting and are ready for thus improving their skills quite substantially and making them look a lot better.

Thanks The_Axeman nice work.

Before everyone blows their load, lets not forget it's training so the players are under minimal pressure or pressure they are expecting and are ready for thus improving their skills quite substantially and making them look a lot better.
Screw you, Sav.

We are going to s**t it in.

Hawks premiers 2015, without doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back