Training Pre-season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Kommer makes up for a lack of skill with heart and gut running. Gotta respect that.

So like his predecessors Marc Bullen, Sam Lonergan etc he's on borrowed time as long term you cannot compensate for lack of skill and ability.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Another way to look at it is he is setting a minimum standard for defensive pressure out there. For a loooong time we've had players (good and not so good) getting games because there was no one else. I see him as list depth and someone who pushes up the standard (from a training and expectation point of view) regardless of whether he's playing or not.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Another way to look at it is he is setting a minimum standard for defensive pressure out there. For a loooong time we've had players (good and not so good) getting games because there was no one else. I see him as list depth and someone who pushes up the standard (from a training and expectation point of view) regardless of whether he's playing or not.

I see that point and some coaches would prefer 40 Kommers ahead of 40 lazy Cupidos etc who have loads more natural ability.

One thing underrated about Kommer is his hands on the lead. One grabbed a lot running at full tilt. A bit like Colyer. It's a pity our bigger blokes like Ambrose and Daniher often drop these!

Loving the way Steinberg is going in the endurance training. Hopefully he's been able to add a bit of acceleration too. Looking forward to seeing him play in pre-season.

I wonder if Steinburg and Gwilt are also depth for that 3rd tall role. Surely Essendon only ever plays three of Bellchamber, Daniher, Carlisle and Giles and one of Ambrose, Steinburg, Gwilt or Hurley.

Bellchambers in the ruck with a chop out from both Carlisle and Daniher and Gwilt/Steinburg as 3rd tall with Hooker, Hurley and Fletcher down back provides heaps of flexibility. In fact imagine if Gwilt plays down back and Fletch is rested.

Gut running? He was buzzing around putting in some big chases in the first half before fading out of games.

it is the effort he puts in regardless of his skill. Give the guy a little respect.

We've seen guys like Henry Slattery work their butts off relentlessly to make up for their lack of skill, athleticism and ability. Unfortunately at the elite level this is a bridge too far and these kind of guys are better suited to state leagues. I think all of us admire and respect their work ethic but it doesn't change reality. Problem for Kommer as well is that his body is also not coping well with the requirements of AFL. Personally weighing up his ability and his injury woes I think he may be a wasted list spot. If he can't get onfield in seniors in 2015 then his contract renewal was a mistake for mine.

We've seen guys like Henry Slattery work their butts off relentlessly to make up for their lack of skill, athleticism and ability. Unfortunately at the elite level this is a bridge too far and these kind of guys are better suited to state leagues.
You've got it backwards. A kid could have all the natural talent in the world, but if they don't work hard, they wont make it at state league let alone make afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is McKernan travelling this pre-season? He must know that 2015 is make or break, he certainly has some skills, though you guys are a pretty hard side to break into regarding KPF/Ruck depth..

How is McKernan travelling this pre-season? He must know that 2015 is make or break, he certainly has some skills, though you guys are a pretty hard side to break into regarding KPF/Ruck depth..
He's probably just grateful to still be on an AFL list tbh.

You've got it backwards. A kid could have all the natural talent in the world, but if they don't work hard, they wont make it at state league let alone make afl

Haven't got it backwards.

Lazy players won't make it long term in AFL. (eg Cupido). Plenty of kids can get drafted on ability alone and some are physically developed more than others but don't go on. This is one side of the spectrum.

On the other side of the spectrum you can have a kid who does all the extra training, eats right, interviews well and is a coaches delight. This type of kid can get drafted but lack of ability and skill get shown out at afl level.

Both sides of spectrum will end as failures.

Needs to be a balance of ability/skill and work ethic to make it at afl level. Also being able to withstand the physical work load is paramount. I think Kommer fails 2 out of 3. Lack of ability/skill and cannot withstand the workload.

I don't know s**t (except to yell at umpires) but from what I recall of Kommers first year was, he may not have elite skills, but he does have grunt, but more importantly he seemed to pop up at critical times. Especially in last quarters where it really matters.
Essendon have got a lot of players that disappear (yes Port you got one of them), to me Kommer 'appeared' alot when it mattered and for a side like Essendon it is an important trait this side needs.
But my memory is failing and I'm sure there is some one out there with the stats to prove me wrong.

Kommer has lost his place to Ambrose and I would be shocked if he managed to overtake him.

More accurate would be Kommer has lost his spot to the following who are ahead of him for small/mid forward role: Chapman, Winderlich, Melksham, Z.Merrett, Colyer, Howlett. That's 6 ahead of him so hard to see him getting a look in most weeks I'd have thought.

Medium forwards likely to be Goddard or Ambrose.

And arguably: Laverde, J.Merrett could also be ahead of Kommer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back