Best and worst kicks in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Warnock the worst but taking ruckman out of the equation (They have a long way to drop the ball to their foot) would say Jordie Mckenzie
TLDR

I think it's right to take ruckmen out of the equation. We used to have Max "please just handpass it" Bailey; that being said, that sort of feeling isn't unusual for ruckmen.

Still, the Justin Madden running bounce goal has to be one of the best mixed comedy/quality moments in AFL history. It just looked supremely awkward.

Yes they've become reliable but they weren't horrendous. Blokes like Clinton Jones and Taylor Adams will always be less than reliable due to a mix of poor decision making and poor Footskills.
I'm an Essendon supporter, and Watson was as bad as Clint Jones at the start of his career. As was Hooker. They were almost liabilities when they kicked the ball at the start of their careers.

No, because he hasn't. Still has 3-4 bad turnovers a game whenever I watch Hawthorn that somehow gets overlooked every time.
Seriously? 3-4?

You realise his efficiency was as high as anyone's in our side?

You have something against him which I just don't understand. Passing inside 50 he is one of our best. I admit occasionally he does a clanger but so does everyone, generally he is one of the players I feel safest with ball in hand.

Seriously? 3-4?

You realise his efficiency was as high as anyone's in our side?

You have something against him which I just don't understand. Passing inside 50 he is one of our best. I admit occasionally he does a clanger but so does everyone, generally he is one of the players I feel safest with ball in hand.
Efficiency is a load of s**t. I think he's overrated. I wasn't even the one to bring him up, yet because I tell you my opinion when you ask I have something against him? He's a lot like Brent Stanton. Good runner, but 50/50 on his disposal.

Efficiency is a load of s**t. I think he's overrated. I wasn't even the one to bring him up, yet because I tell you my opinion when you ask I have something against him? He's a lot like Brent Stanton. Good runner, but 50/50 on his disposal.
I've seen enough of your posts over time to know how much you dislike him and think he's no good. I'm just enjoying him proving you wrong.

Maybe watch some of his great kicks instead of focussing on the 1 or 2 poor ones and thinking he's no good by foot. Ask any Hawks fans (who watch him every week) and I doubt any would agree with your opinion. I'm happy to admit other players in our team are poor/average by foot but Hill is definitely not one of those.

Norths best : Harvey, dal santo, Brad Mckenzie

Norths worst : Sam Gibson, bastinac

Adelaide: Bodie Smith best, Sam Jacobs worst
Brisbane: Daniel Rich best, Matthew Leuenberger worst
Carlton: Zach Tuohy best, Andrew Carrazzo worst
Collingwood: Ben Reid best, Jack Frost worst
Essendon: Bendan Goddard best, Nick Kommer worst
Fremantle: Stephen Hill best, Matthew De Boer worst
Geelong: Stephen Motlop best, Dawson Simpson worst
Gold Coast: Nick Malceski best, Daniel Gorringe worst
GWS: Nick Haynes best, Toby Greene worst
Hawthorn: Matthew Suckling best, Ryan Schoenmakers worst
Melbourne: Jack Grimes best, Tom McDonald worst
North Melbourne: Daniel Wells best, Todd Goldstein worst
Port Adelaide: Hamish Hartlett best, Tom Logan worst (is he still playing?)
Richmond: Brett Deledio best, Steven Morris worst
St. Kilda: Arryn Sipposs best, Luke Delaney worst
Sydney: Kieran Jack best, Heath Grundy worst
West Coast: Shannon Hurn best, Matthew Rosa worst
Western Bulldogs: Bob Murphy best, Matthew Boyd worst.
Grimes is one of Melb's worst kicks. Watts and Dunn are the best although Salem shows potential.

457134220MalGetty300.jpg
Looks like he's been grazing in a good paddock.

I've always found this kind of question difficult due to what constitutes a good kick so attempted to make some still relatively simplified sub-genres . Apologize that there are so many but even so I am sure there are some obvious ones I have forgotten.

Reliable Kicks: These are the guys who if a player leading into space is within 50 metres they will hit them on the chest. However they may have issues when attempting risky kicks or struggle over distance.
Would say Pendlebury or Harvey are the most reliable.

Scott D Thompson Lachlan Hansen Eric Mackenzie
Harry Taylor Lynden Dunn Cale Hooker
Joel Selwood Tom Rockliff Marc Murphy
Scott Pendlebury Callan Ward Luke Breust
Tom Liberatore Jarrad McVeigh Travis Boak
Brent Harvey Dom Tyson

Damaging and Reliable: Best of both worlds. Personally have Shannon Hurn as the best kick in the AFL and as a bias side note have Josh Drummond as the best kick of the last decade (Shame he never even made it to 100 games).

Robert Murphy Grant Birchall Brodie Smith
Shannon Hurn Pearce Hanley Gary Ablett
Harley Bennell Sam Mitchell Corey Enright
Shaun Burgoyne Brendon Goddard Nick Dal Santo
Cyril Ravioli Daniel Wells Brett Deledio
Hamish Hartlett Andrew Gaff Stephen Hill

Damaging Kicks but prone to mistakes: Some of these guys can be considered better kicks than those above however sometimes bite off more than they can chew resulting in costly turnovers. Really think Matt Suckling personifies this.

Paul Duffield Paul Seedsman Bachar Houli
Matt Suckling Daniel Rich Andrew Walker
Steve Johnson David Mundy Chris Yarran
Trent Mckenzie Isaac Smith Nick Malceski
Dustin Martin Jared Polec Robbie Gray
Heath Shaw

Robbie Warnock the worst but taking ruckman out of the equation (They have a long way to drop the ball to their foot) would say Jordie Mckenzie
TLDR

Dusty is definitely in this category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason Schoenmakers nicknames outside of Hawthorn include Schoenclangers, Clangermakers and Clangers.
Yeah, it's because he gets out positioned by opponents, picks bad options, or is too slow to get ball to boot.

His kicking is the least of his worries.

Who are the best and worst kickers of the footy in the AFL at the moment? In terms of hitting targets and the occasional set shot.

From my club I'd say the best at the moment would be Macrae, Murphy and Libba. Silky smooth skills. Worst would be Matty Boyd by a fair margin.
worst would be Picken

Yeah, it's because he gets out positioned by opponents, picks bad options, or is too slow to get ball to boot.

His kicking is the least of his worries.
How is that even relevant? Kicking is as much about hitting the target as it is making it look good.

Suckling, Hartlett, Goddard and Dal Santo spring to mind as the best.

Worst, probably was Clint Jones lol doesn't have either foot and looked completely unco. But he is retired now, so dunno. I don't think there is necessarily a worst atm, but there is plenty of bad...

Our only good and reliable kickers are Billings and probably Webster, but they are nowhere near the likes of Suckling and Goddard who can pin point it 55 metres each and every time.

How is that even relevant? Kicking is as much about hitting the target as it is making it look good.
You asked why he gets puerile nicknames, and getting out-bodied is but one reason.

His kicking is fine.

You asked why he gets puerile nicknames, and getting out-bodied is but one reason.

His kicking is fine.
Getting outbodied isn't why he gets nicknames that have clangers as part of it. In fact I didn't ask, I stated there was a reason for them. His kicking is poor, he turns the ball over frequently. That's why his nickname outside of Hawthorn supporters in Clangermakers or Schoenclangers etc.

Getting outbodied isn't why he gets nicknames that have clangers as part of it. In fact I didn't ask, I stated there was a reason for them. His kicking is poor, he turns the ball over frequently. That's why his nickname outside of Hawthorn supporters in Clangermakers or Schoenclangers etc.
Ethan, his kicking is fine. It's no worse than any number of players getting regular senior games at other clusb, in fact it's probably better than a lot of them.
It's why Clarkson has utilised him in the back half as a release player at different stages and it's why so many Hawthorn supporters are telling you that his kicking is fine.
His decision making is what lets him down at times.

Ethan, his kicking is fine. It's no worse than any number of players getting regular senior games at other clusb, in fact it's probably better than a lot of them.
It's why Clarkson has utilised him in the back half as a release player at different stages and it's why so many Hawthorn supporters are telling you that his kicking is fine.
His decision making is what lets him down at times.
It is not. For such a "fine" kick, why does he turn the ball over by foot so often? Kicking isn't only about it looking good, it's about being able to hit targets as well. A lot of Essendon supporters think Kommer is good. A lot of Essendon supporters think Stanton is s**t. Just because a fanbase says something about their player doesn't necessarily make it true.

It is not. For such a "fine" kick, why does he turn the ball over by foot so often? Kicking isn't only about it looking good, it's about being able to hit targets as well. A lot of Essendon supporters think Kommer is good. A lot of Essendon supporters think Stanton is s**t. Just because a fanbase says something about their player doesn't necessarily make it true.
Do you understand what 'decision making' encompasses? It means he selects to kick the ball long, when he should kick it short, turning it over. It means he chooses to switch too early, turning the ball over.

You seem to have a very simplistic view of what 'poor kicking' actually means, especially if you're just looking at the turnover stats and declaring that a player must be a poor kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back