2015 Royal Rumble

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't cheered last year because the fans wanted him to win the Rumble. He was cheered because no one wanted Batista (the part timer, who had just come back) to win the Rumble.

I think there was a segment of the audience who actually wanted him to win the match, regardless of who he was up against in the final two. Re-watch some of the shows around that time, Reigns was on fire and over as hell with the crowd, because The Shield had turned face, and he'd just started doing cool looking stuff like the Superman punch and the diving kick on the apron.

So it's okay when Bryan goes super-Cena on us but Reings isn't allowed to eliminate Big Show and Kane.

When did I say he wasn't allowed? I was just saying it was believable for Bryan to do it.

But they never were going to win. It's not the first time any of them have been one of the remaining contestants. Would people had a problem with them being there at the end had it been Bryan or Ziggler instead of Roman ? I'm willing to bet not.

Yeah they were never going to win that's the point. With only those two left with Reigns it was obvious what was going to happen and the suspense (and hence excitement) was removed from the finish.

But Reigns still would've got booed because he is just s**t.

tumblr_me6lgbvEMI1rg1i0co1_500.gif

the defence rests , your honor...:D

Would it have been a issue with fans if Bryan elimnated them both at the same time to win ?

Yeah it still would've sucked because the ending would be telegraphed. I like watching wrestling when you don't necessarily know what's going to happen. Sometimes you know but there can still be a doubt like maybe if the final four is any three of Wyatt, Bryan, Ambrose, Ziggler or Cesaro with Reigns there's a chance this could happen even though I kinda know that's gonna happen. It's even fine if one of Kane or Show is in there as one of the last ones it's even find if they're the last man standing with Reigns as pong as he eliminates them quickly. But you can't leave them in there with him and let it go for longer than 20 seconds because people know what's gonna happen so they'll lose interest. Don't give them a chance to lose interest or second guess the booking, you've gotta make the booking tight especially in a situation like this where the result was known months ago. The WWE is just far too sloppy with their booking these day.

So it's okay when Bryan goes super-Cena on us but Reings isn't allowed to eliminate Big Show and Kane?

This is what I hated about WMXXX. You knew Bryan was gonna win the championship so why bother watching? His match with Triple H was great, the Shield smashing the outlaws was great as was Cesaro winning the battle royal and the streak ending. But the main event was meh because you knew exactly what would happen.

Would've been better if Rollins was in the rumble match. Then the Big Show and Kane factor would've still made sense as they would help him win it and atleast the fans wouldn't think that Reigns would have a definite win as alot of people could imagine Rollins winning.

But Reigns still would've got booed because he is just s**t.

I've been thinking, having Rollins get the Authority to say kick Titus out of the match and have Rollins come in at 27 would have fitted his character perfectly, even though he has Plan B in the briefcase, he should be using the Authority to get him as many title shots as he needs to win it whilst keeping the briefcase as backup.

But then I think that match was so brutal, it wouldn't really be selling it to have him compete in the rumble straight after

I like watching wrestling when you don't necessarily know what's going to happen.

I think we all do.

Given that, people do realise that a WrestleMania lead-in with underdog Daniel Bryan again would likely be just as predictable as what we might get with Reigns, right?

This is what I hated about WMXXX. You knew Bryan was gonna win the championship so why bother watching? His match with Triple H was great, the Shield smashing the outlaws was great as was Cesaro winning the battle royal and the streak ending. But the main event was meh because you knew exactly what would happen.

Well that's a perfectly valid opinion as you aren't being as hypocritical as the Bryan fans who loved the main event last year but think Reigns is 'too predictable'.

I usually don't put predictability too high on my requirements because I feel I've watched WWE for so long I've got a pretty good sense of the outcomes.

It was a little predictable and I think that's why they did the Rusev thing at the end, just to give you that little sense of urgency that Reigns wasn't guaranteed.

Still Reings' title reign will be less predictable than Bryan's. Reigns career can branch off in heaps of directions after mania. He could turn heel, face Rollins, face Cena, face Rusev. If Bryan won the title agai all we'd get is more yessing in the face of Stephanie/HHH and running away from Kane.

Reigns' title Reign is intriguing from a predictability standpoint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can't turn him heel - you never know, this backlash might create more sympathy for him I know I feel sorry for the guy. At the end of the day he is a young performer just doing what's asked of him, I doubt he would've politicked his way to this position it's just he's been picked due to his genes and looks in some kind of nepotism. The fans took their anger at the company and their booking out on the performer who most of them probably don't really have much against and may even like.

It is what it is, let's see how he comes with this, if it gives him a bit of an edge it could be the best thing for him, if he doesn't handle it hes not gonna last long in that position. He needs to figure out how to win the fans support and respect now which he can do by cutting some scathing promos and improving his in ring work somewhat.

Lesnar is tweener enough. The only way this gets saved and Reigns ends up champion is for Heyman to turn on Bork at WM, turning Reigns heel in the process.

The way they've built up Lesnar there is no way Reigns should be going over him clean.

How often does the main event of Wrestlemania not have a predictable outcome?

Not many to be honest Royal Rumble and Mania have become predictable

Then again its hard not to know what will happen with the internet

Can someone explain the logic behind Bryan being eliminated so early? Surely the WWE knew that the match was going to be absolutely shat on the second he got eliminated, why eliminate him halfway through?

As for the booking overall, I think it was a little underrated tbh. Take out the fact that Reigns winning was more-or-less a foregone conclusion the second Bryan was eliminated, at one stage (the commentators mentioned at this point that it was the largest number of people in the rumble at a single point in time) the ring was full of huge guys with the exception of Ambrose. From memory, it was Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Roman Reigns, Big E, Jack Swagger, Ryback, Kane and Dean Ambrose? Bad News Barrett, Cesaro and Big Show may have also been in at this point also. Maybe my memory's hazy but normally rumble's seem to follow a loose formula of midsize guys filling up the ring only to be taken out by a couple of bigger guys entering, was pretty cool to see a ring full of big men. Would have been interesting if Reigns winning wasn't a foregone conclusion.

I'm not particularly happy with Reigns winning but it makes sense from a storyline POV, he's got the look, he's believable as a RR winner, he's at least got the size to look comparable to Lesnar. Someone else (i.e. an Ambrose) would probably be more interesting though. My main gripe is with the final 3 and the WWE trying to tell us that Show and Kane are actually a threat. Are we supposed to forget the amount of times that Big Show has been reduced to a snivelling little bitch? Or just the amount of times that Kane loses (obviously a brilliant RL company man though)? Nobody buys them as a serious threat any more and I don't know why the WWE insist on pouring the same old shtick of the giant and the monster Kane, they're done. These two authority goon position could have been used to give a couple of others a bit of a push and to establish them as monsters (the two veterans really don't need it). Maybe Ryback? Cesaro? Even a Titus O'Neil could be believable as big guys that can destroy opposition, might as well build them up even if they might lose their fueds in the long run.

Not many to be honest Royal Rumble and Mania have become predictable

Then again its hard not to know what will happen with the internet

Easy to avoid rumours and speculation though. Not sure why people don't do it more often TBH, and just let things unfold before them on TV. Might make the journey a bit more enjoyable for some.

Do people spoil themselves and try and find out or predict the future storylines and outcomes with other TV shows they watch, too?

Can someone explain the logic behind Bryan being eliminated so early? Surely the WWE knew that the match was going to be absolutely shat on the second he got eliminated, why eliminate him halfway through?

Should have put some major heel heat on Bray Wyatt for eliminating him, but the crowd totally no-sold that aspect of it.

There's about 70 pages worth of discussion here buddy.

On the rest of your post, we must have very different views on what makes for a well booked rumble.

The "road to Wrestlemania" isn't just a tag line they came up with - the rumble used to be great because not only did you find out who was in the main event at WM, but they'd also use the match to either create or further other WM feuds lower down the card.

Unless they give us Bryan vs Wyatt... again... I can't think of a single WM feud that has come out of this match, or any feud that's been furthered in any meaningful way. Even the Authority stuff was just treading water - Kane and Big Show didn't advance any storyline, they just pissed the crowd off more.

Lesnar is tweener enough. The only way this gets saved and Reigns ends up champion is for Heyman to turn on Bork at WM, turning Reigns heel in the process.

The way they've built up Lesnar there is no way Reigns should be going over him clean.

More chance of Heyman turning face than Reigns turning heel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back