Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But robs Freo of potentially 40 goals and wasn't Ross banging on about how Freo need to find more goals.
If Lyon runs with a forward line that does not attempt to create goals out of forward pressure but uses some other method (using the ball conservatively like Hawthorn does, or having a deep spread of options in the forward 50), how important is Mayne then?

If Lyon runs with a forward line that does not attempt to create goals out of forward pressure but uses some other method (using the ball conservatively like Hawthorn does, or having a deep spread of options in the forward 50), how important is Mayne then?

Well Mayne would decrease the 'spread of options' in our forward 50 first of all. Secondly Ross isn't likely to make drastic changes to our forward line or game plan. Thirdly we're not the type of team who can hang on to the ball for too long by slowing the game down and using our precise kicking (or lack thereof).

Mayne is a good overhead mark, can the speed or agility of another player offer more than a marking option?

I guess it depends on the delivery. If we have good kicks the marking players come into their own, scrubby forward kicks and the faster players create their space.

Training report

I'll be brief as others such as E Shed, Sheriff and Coulda sat next to me who can add info too.

Stand outs

Suban. He looks trimmer but still strong. He has big endurance and runs well all training with pace. The best I've seen him. His kicking is spot on too.

Blakely and Weller. There kicking is terrific. Weller easily one of the best kicks. They run hard and taking it up to the senior players. I really see both of them as future leaders. I was hoping as many on here to pick up a Kpp but Weller is all class.

Clarke. His fitness is terrific and he has been using his basketball skills to intercept a number of passes. One intercept mark was exceptional. He looked good on the lead and floating.

The training session was full of hard running and high intensity drills looking at quick transition with critical decision making.

I'm back to work tomorrow so this is my last report. Looking forward to the intra club in a month or so.

#ffcpreseason

From the "have to say..." basket...Have to say, maybe moving Mayne to the backline isn't the best idea. Mayney's a great soldier, a true clubman, but at this point in his career, asking him to take on a new role seems unfair. It's not as if his play put him at a career crossroads like Ryno a few seasons ago, when he had to reinvent himself. Are the coaches sending a message to Mayney along the lines of: "We just don't know what to do with you?" As recently as two seasons ago, Mayney was THE guy you'd want with the footy in his hands, lining up for a set shot — especially difficult, long-range ones. He was clutch. MONEY. We remember the epic QF win over Geelong for Hilly's brilliant running goal, but have we forgotten Mayney's pressure-packed set shot earlier in that 4th quarter? What about his inspirational long-range bomb — despite playing with a sore back — at the Granny, which put us within 3 points of Hawthorn in that 3rd quarter fightback?

After Mayney's injuries flared, he lost his sniper's scope and his confidence and now it seems he's been exiled down back. It doesn't seem to make too much sense when Mayney's such a force as a pressure forward and the coaches have trumpeted the importance of the team kicking two more goals per game. Plus, what's wrong with the backline we already have? Why not revert to and build upon what was Mayney's greatest strength instead of trying to cram him into a new box in which he might not fit?

While TheInjuryFactory (welcome aboard and love your avatar, by the way) makes a great point about Croz possibly taking over Mayne's previous role, with some more intensive goal-kicking coaching, Mayney could return to being that deadly sharpshooter we need.
All true except that statement about Mayne kicking long goals. Anything further than 40m out and he struggled to make the distance.

Am loving reading the training reports guys. I live overseas and can only dream of getting to see a training session, but thanks to the wonder of your lovingly-crafted and detailed descriptions it almost feels like I'm there!

Always exciting to hear how the rookies are going this time of year, and Blakely and Weller sound very promising indeed. I know a lot of fans of other teams were eying Weller, and Blakely seemed to slip under the radar a bit. Would love to hear more on these two and what skills they have been able to showcase so far, from someone who has been able to see them up close.

I hope my report helped mate. Some drafts of ours are hits and some are misses. I'm fairly confident this one is a hit but only time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From : http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-01-28/training-report-wednesday-28-january

Fremantle trained in scorching conditions on Wednesday morning as the club continues to click into gear for the start of competitive play in early March.

There was no holding back from the squad, despite the heat heading towards the mid 30s.

Training28Jan-5.jpg

Ball work continued to be the theme of the sessions.

Training28JAn-2.jpg

Circle drills utilising most of Fremantle Oval and possession play between the 50m arcs sandwiched some goal kicking practice and plenty of Gatorade.

Training28Jan-3.jpg

Michael Walters did not make an appearance, but he wasworking hard in the gym. Aaron Sandilands and Ryan Crowley were out on the track.

I'm on my phone so won't wax too eloquent but these are some impressions of this mornings hitout.

They were on track @ 8.30. I counted 36. Missing were: Sandi, Walters, MJ, Pearce, Sutty, Apeness Deluca & few others.

It was very very hot & they went hard for over 2 hours.

There was a lot of work on fast transition over small, medium & full ground.

Skills were decent but the players were fatigued at times leading to some poor decisions & sloppy disposal.

Individuals:
Weller & Blakely are standouts already. Weller is up with the elite kicks in the team & his decision making is first class. Blakely is faster than advertised, a good user & knows where to run. During one half court drill he slipped behind the defense, marked, played on & hit a forward target drawing praise from players & coaches alike. In the full court Weller burned down the wing a couple of times & hit his target with precision flat fast kicks. His ball weighting is exquisite.

Matt DeBoer. I'd heard he'd improved & so it is. His kicking was very good today & he was involved in everything.

C Pearce seems to have improved his ball drop & his kicks get off the boot faster. He looks very lean & hard.

Mayne looks in ripping nick. His marking & kicking were top shelf. He lined up at both ends at times in drills.

Clarke looks in much better shape than last year. He covered a lot of ground in the drills & pulled of some great interceptions in the air. His kicking is good too.

Griff is fit & played up forward & in the ruck. He & Hannath are solid cover for our rucks.

Moller has talent. He made a great lead & mark during a drill & one coach yelled. Great lead Craig. That's the work rate you need!

Taberner is coming on in leaps & bounds. Really covers the ground & his kicking is improving, admittedly from a pretty low standard.

Silvagni looks great. Really fit & his confidence looks up. His kicking was really solid.

Duffield & Ibbo are up & about. Duffman is used a lot as the release kicker on the switch while Ibbo played a bit higher. Spurr heavily involved in the back half also.

Mundy, Pav, McPharlin, Hill & Fyfe all look as they normally do. A cut above the rest. Mick Barlow would be the same except for his tendency to kick a few mongrel punts every session.

Crozier is really getting to the level now. He ran through the middle a lot & seemed to link up with Fyfe a lot. Fyfe is very vocal & directs drills. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's named captain today.

Balla looks incredible. In everything & I got hot just watching him. Neale was solid.

Just realized I didn't see Mz, Hurley , Sylvia or Mora today which doesn't add up with my earlier maths unless some went back to the gymnasium after warmup.

I think that's all. Questions welcomed.

#ffcpreseason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pav still captain. Not so sure about that. Like with Cricket Australia it's time for Smith to take over. It's Fyfe's turn to takeover for Freo. Maybe Fyfe will be Vice Captain?

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so won't wax too eloquent but these are some impressions of this mornings hitout.

They were on track @ 8.30. I counted 36. Missing were: Sandi, Walters, MJ, Pearce, Sutty, Apeness Deluca & few others.

It was very very hot & they went hard for over 2 hours.

There was a lot of work on fast transition over small, medium & full ground.

Skills were decent but the players were fatigued at times leading to some poor decisions & sloppy disposal.

Individuals:
Weller & Blakely are standouts already. Weller is up with the elite kicks in the team & his decision making is first class. Blakely is faster than advertised, a good user & knows where to run. During one half court drill he slipped behind the defense, marked, played on & hit a forward target drawing praise from players & coaches alike. In the full court Weller burned down the wing a couple of times & hit his target with precision flat fast kicks. His ball weighting is exquisite.

Matt DeBoer. I'd heard he'd improved & so it is. His kicking was very good today & he was involved in everything.

C Pearce seems to have improved his ball drop & his kicks get off the boot faster. He looks very lean & hard.

Mayne looks in ripping nick. His marking & kicking were top shelf. He lined up at both ends at times in drills.

Clarke looks in much better shape than last year. He covered a lot of ground in the drills & pulled of some great interceptions in the air. His kicking is good too.

Griff is fit & played up forward & in the ruck. He & Hannath are solid cover for our rucks.

Moller has talent. He made a great lead & mark during a drill & one coach yelled. Great lead Craig. That's the work rate you need!

Taberner is coming on in leaps & bounds. Really covers the ground & his kicking is improving, admittedly from a pretty low standard.

Silvagni looks great. Really fit & his confidence looks up. His kicking was really solid.

Duffield & Ibbo are up & about. Duffman is used a lot as the release kicker on the switch while Ibbo played a bit higher. Spurr heavily involved in the back half also.

Mundy, Pav, McPharlin, Hill & Fyfe all look as they normally do. A cut above the rest. Mick Barlow would be the same except for his tendency to kick a few mongrel punts every session.

Crozier is really getting to the level now. He ran through the middle a lot & seemed to link up with Fyfe a lot. Fyfe is very vocal & directs drills. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's named captain today.

Balla looks incredible. In everything & I got hot just watching him. Neale was solid.

Just realized I didn't see Mz, Hurley , Sylvia or Mora today which doesn't add up with my earlier maths unless some went back to the gymnasium after warmup.

I think that's all. Questions welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report E . You and Jedi summed up the training to a tee .
MZ was in the full match sims .
The main thing for me is the enthusiasm the boys were showing out on the track.
The boys are seriously fit , full of run, the verbal support is being given to not only the new kids but also to the older and the skill level is way up on previous years .
News on 882 by Peter Bell is that Matt De Boer is out of the leadership group and Fyfe is in . Pav to remain as captain for his ninth year .

I think I probably would have preferred Pav to be around for a year if Fyfe takes over as captain. It would help ease the transition period and help with a bit of the pressure side of things. Usually if Pav were to miss a game either Sandilands , Mundy or McPharlin would step in as captain so it will be interesting this year if Pav misses to see if Fyfe steps in as captain.

Pretty hard to be in the leadership group when you have a one year contract. I think Deboer is on the same program as Sonny, Pearce were.
Makes sense, the improvement must come from the second, third tier players for Freo to really improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back