Opinion 2015 Leadership Group Predictions?

Remove this Banner Ad

In Fyfe Out deBoer. That's it.

Great that Fyfe's in, but I also think it needed some more 'fresh blood'... Sandi, McPharlin, Mundy - all great players and leaders, but where's the next gen?

Fair point, next year if as expected the big 3 retire we would be looking at Walters, Barlow & co but on the other hand, there is nothing stopping anyone from showing leadership, you would expect the 22nd player picked should be able to hold Pav accountable to standards if he does something gameday that isn't up to standard.

I don't really want to see Fyfe as captain until he is signed through to his early thirties.
Agreed. There's still a part of me that feels Nat is yet to fully commit to Fremantle for his long term playing future, his latest contract only sees him through to FA status where he can and will test the waters... I maintain the captaincy should be a carrot dangled in front of Fyfe coupled with a long term contract extension before the current deal expires.

Agreed. There's still a part of me that feels Nat is yet to fully commit to Fremantle for his long term playing future, his latest contract only sees him through to FA status where he can and will test the waters... I maintain the captaincy should be a carrot dangled in front of Fyfe coupled with a long term contract extension before the current deal expires.

That would be ideal, a 5 year extension at the end of this year. Even an 8 year deal back ended on silly money.

Would expect Walters to join the group next year. There will be big changes to the leadership group for 2016 and beyond.

Great that Fyfe's in, but I also think it needed some more 'fresh blood'... Sandi, McPharlin, Mundy - all great players and leaders, but where's the next gen?

I was surprised at this too. I love Captain Pav, and Fyfe's a worthy inclusion. But with Pav, Sandi, McPharlin & Mundy, our leadership group is looking pretty old. And it's rare that you have all 4 of those on the ground at the same time, especially with rumours about the old boys being managed through the season to keep them fresh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully expect Fyfe to be a Freo player for life with the likes of Pav, Mundy, Sandi, McPharlin all gone or on smaller deals there'll be plenty left over for him keeping in mind, other teams won't be able to offer him much more plus no expansion teams. He wouldn't be the type of bloke to argue over a couple hundred thousand.

I'm a bit surprised that Spurr got retained, on reflection though it's obvious that he is very popular man around the club and his inclusion is a product of the fact that the group is voted by the players

I think RTB's flagged changes have been delayed a year by factors unknown to the club at the time. Pav and Woosh have both since extended (Pav may have already re-signed but has since stated his intentions to play as many games as possible) and Sandi is even thinking about 2017. McPharlin's decision to sign on covered for missing out on Frawley for 2015 at least, and may have affected our draft strategy (With our developing young backs in the wings for 2016) and obviously his pre-season efforts (Having seen him up close he is in ripping nick and has been running a one on one masterclass in drills) have been rewarded with another year in the group

If the reports of several retirements after this season play out then maybe it'll be good to have a new group under a new captain, let Pav finish his run surrounded by the guys he's played most with.

Fyfe will be favourite next year but I like Ozzy's suggestion, dual All-Australian, captain Ballantyne would keep BF fun if nothing else :)

On a serious note I love that its a straight player vote 5-4-3-2-1

Happy that Pav will be captain for another year! The only downer is that I don't seem to be able to escape the nic nat effect, crazy when I am not even in WA...
View attachment 105659

love dat related stuff :thumbsu:

Fyfe getting in was obvious - his hunger for taking games on and trying to win them off his own boot is just incredible. You don't have to yell and rev guys up to lead. Just lead by doing and doing well

2015 (proposed)

Pavlich (C)
Fyfe (VC)
Sandilands
McPharlin
Mundy
Spurr

I don’t think there needs to be an overhaul like RTB hinted at. With the democratic way the leadership are chosen, I’m not sure how he’d go about it anyway.

Our Culture and Leadership at the club seems to be as strong as ever, but winning sometimes does create that illusion. With our ageing leadership group maybe it’s time for the older more experienced players to pull out of contention and pass the baton to the next young and up and coming crop, but I don’t think so. We go into this season with our window largely open and I don't think radical change is needed. I feel our older leaders (if fit) are still the best players on match day and should be setting the example on the ground.

I’m predicting Fyfe to be added to the leadership group in place of De Boer, for obvious reasons. Spurr is the only other player I have question mark over, but it’s only through ignorance on my part. But for now I’m tipping him to stay, If he got selected over Barlow and Ballantyne and these types last year, then why not this time.

My prediction for this year is for Pavlich to remain, as captain and it’ll probably be his last year. Fyfe will be groomed this year and take the reins next season, which will be a start of a new and exciting era for us.

Spot on Mr P.Wizard. I'll be in touch a week before the Brownlow to lay a plunge.

Spot on Mr P.Wizard. I'll be in touch a week before the Brownlow to lay a plunge.

I'd love to say Fyfe but he's too injury and tribunal prone for the $$$. I'd back in Cotchin, even though I don't rate him as a player he polled 18 votes last year and was average at best. He should improve this year and doesn't miss games so come season end you're in with a good chance. Also, like the Priddis effect he doesn't have anyone stealing votes off him.

I'd love to say Fyfe but he's too injury and tribunal prone for the $$$. I'd back in Cotchin, even though I don't rate him as a player he polled 18 votes last year and was average at best. He should improve this year and doesn't miss games so come season end you're in with a good chance. Also, like the Priddis effect he doesn't have anyone stealing votes off him.
Not many left to steal votes from Pendlebury as well.

But Fyfe surely is one of the favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back