Teams 2015 Melbourne Storm discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the odds of Shaun Nona getting first crack at five-eighth?

Also how is Smith's recovery going? Any chance for Round 1.

Think you guys have a very nice team, will be up there again this season.

Whats the odds of Shaun Nona getting first crack at five-eighth?

Also how is Smith's recovery going? Any chance for Round 1.

Think you guys have a very nice team, will be up there again this season.
It won't happen but I would love to see Slater at 5/8th and Hampton Full back. I think Blake Green will get first crack. Not confident this season but having said that never write off a team coached by Bellamy.

I hate all our jerseys for this season - generic BLK templates home & away and they've ruined the classic Storm jersey by overdesigning it. And WTH is the thing we are wearing for the Nines?
Thankfully my existing gear is still good.

It won't happen but I would love to see Slater at 5/8th and Hampton Full back. I think Blake Green will get first crack. Not confident this season but having said that never write off a team coached by Bellamy.
I think this would be a really good option. Or even do what the Roosters did and have Hampton and Slater alternate the Winger/fullback role. It'd be in their interest to start getting some fresh blood at fullback. Slater won't bethere forever. Would be better to have someone ready to go rather then start scraping around to fill the hole when he retires. Who replaces him during Origin?

This will be a long year for the Storm. Smith is supposed to miss the first 4 rounds. If this happens, you will not make the 8. Too much money is tied up in the Big 3. Cronk is still going strong. However, Slater and Smith have lost 3 yards of pace. Slater is not scoring the same tries he was 2 years ago because of it. Smith's work rate, while still good, is not what it used to be. My prediction is that they will finish 9th or 10th.

This will be a long year for the Storm. Smith is supposed to miss the first 4 rounds. If this happens, you will not make the 8. Too much money is tied up in the Big 3. Cronk is still going strong. However, Slater and Smith have lost 3 yards of pace. Slater is not scoring the same tries he was 2 years ago because of it. Smith's work rate, while still good, is not what it used to be. My prediction is that they will finish 9th or 10th.
I wouldn't write them off just yet. As long as the big three are still there and lining up I will be nervously watching my team play Storm.

Have just received an email from the club indicating our Round 20 match against the Dragons has been moved to Napier in New Zealand in order to attempt to combat financial losses, which is the decision of the owners. Members are required to purcahse a ticket if they want to attend the game, but will have their membership adjusted accordingly (either as a refund or "donation" back to the club).

Though the CEO assures us the clubs future is in Melbourne, it makes me very worried we may end up shutting down or relocating if things don't improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the big three retire, if you guys don't land firmly on your feet and maintain a wining culture this could be a serious possibility. For a team in the AFL heartland winning is really the only way you will be able to maintain fairweather fans

When the big three retire, if you guys don't land firmly on your feet and maintain a wining culture this could be a serious possibility. For a team in the AFL heartland winning is really the only way you will be able to maintain fairweather fans

Yeah I remember when the Roosters were s**t only recently then bought a bunch of top players and won it all, once the big three retire it means we'll have a s**t load of cash to throw at the best talents in the game.

Our home ground attendance average is better than most teams, the teams that need to worry are those in the NRL "heartland" struggling to get fans through the gates. Actually only just below Roosters.

After the salary cap stuff we actually gained more fans. I'm certainly not concerned about the Storms existence.

Yeah I remember when the Roosters were s**t only recently then bought a bunch of top players and won it all, once the big three retire it means we'll have a s**t load of cash to throw at the best talents in the game.

Our home ground attendance average is better than most teams, the teams that need to worry are those in the NRL "heartland" struggling to get fans through the gates. Actually only just below Roosters.

After the salary cap stuff we actually gained more fans. I'm certainly not concerned about the Storms existence.
Um ok awesome amte. I wasn't attacking the Storm. I like watching them play and would hate to see them relocate. I was just saying that some of the less commited fans might fall away if the Storm don't win as much in the coming future. Wasn't trying to put the team down or anything.

Um ok awesome amte. I wasn't attacking the Storm. I like watching them play and would hate to see them relocate. I was just saying that some of the less commited fans might fall away if the Storm don't win as much in the coming future. Wasn't trying to put the team down or anything.

I wasn't having a go, just providing some facts as to why I as a fan isn't concerned.

Interesting to read they don't make money until 12k enter the ground at AAMI which really isn't a lot, but in most years only slightly above their average which has improved from 12ish to 14ish since 2010.

While I'd rather see them stay at home and have more Victorians watch them, probably understandable they want to inject some cash in. Hopefully it's only a one-off a year.

That email did sound concerning. It was extremely honest in admitting (although obvious) that the club can't continue being a "loss making" club.

The one off game does paper over the cracks, I fear real changes need to be made if Storm are to survive long term especially once our current stars start to retire.

Well I just saw the game and he did fine. Shame about the 40/20 attempt, but he seemed to slot in well. With our travails so far this season in the halves, I was quite envious.

Not the greatest game, though, and the Dragons' rather 70s attacking style didn't cause too many problems for a very solid Storm defence. Still, fair play to them for at least trying something. And their forwards showed up well too, Cooper, Merrin and Creagh were all very good. The Storm may be far from their majestic best, but they still very hard to beat.

Last edited:
Sounded pretty terrible defence from both sides.

I haven't had a chance to see the replay yet, are the try/non-try decisions that bad?
Yup. 6 all and the ref did not even send to the video ref a decision that was a clear try, just ruled knock on and played on. Manly then go up the other end and score and score twice more before half time, admittedly that is bad defence as well as bad reffing.

Early second half a try that was clearly momentum was called a double movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back