Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Scott Thompson said it in a conference long before there was any Instagram posts.

I was in the USA with no internet until the 16th but as I said, 'grain of salt' - no skin of my nose of you suggest my pants are on fire.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
But we live in a world where social media rules whether we like it or not. I dont think being on social media if done responsibly is going against the grain of team first.

I like hearing about and seeing the players go about their lives. While I dont follow any of them on twitter, plenty do and report the highlights of what is going on.

Plus Tex has some cracking tweets at times.

My point is that there seems to be a deliberate club approach to install the team first culture and with this we are seeing

1. Less open training sessios
2. Less player interviews over the pre-season
3. Except for the Tex captaincy interviews most interviews have been with the lesser like players e.g.Laird
4.there seems to be less social media traffic with the majority of players

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Paddy has been fairly quiet this preseason. Fewer of the daily Advertiser spreads.

It's felt like he's withdrawing from the spotlight as he is making an exit at season's end... but is it that he has been told some home truths by PW? Spending too much time on Denis Pagan's media street rather than worrying about improving your football. Let your football do the talking etc.

The club is being very strategic with lending out both Danger and Rory to the media this pre-season. They know that every goofball journo from afl.com to Percy from the Mt Gambier Gazette is going to ask the same contract question a million different ways. Why give them this added media stress to deal with during this physically gruelling pre-season time?
I'm positive they'll both be as accessible to the media once the season starts as they were last year. They'll fend off the usual contract questions with their stock standard answers and focus on the team's performance, upcoming games etc...

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The club is being very strategic with lending out both Danger and Rory to the media this pre-season. They know that every goofball journo from afl.com to Percy from the Mt Gambier Gazette is going to ask the same contract question a million different ways. Why give them this added media stress to deal with during this physically gruelling pre-season time?
I'm positive they'll both be as accessible to the media once the season starts as they were last year. They'll fend off the usual contract questions with their stock standard answers and focus on the team's performance, upcoming games etc...

Not only that its also has a bit to do with onboarding Tex as the Capt of the club

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

This +1.
The media will be asking the contract question and nothing else for the whole year, Paddy & Sloane will be keeping a much lower profile I'm sure.

If I remember correctly, Boak didn't sign until the end of the year, and was hounded by the media all year with everyone saying he was gone to the cats too.
IMO the later you sign the smarter the strategy as you will only be driving the contract price up.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Id suggest Walsh's view is that the captaincy did Rory and Danger no favours last year. The appointment of Tex seems to back that up somewhat. By extension, Walsh would be the kind of bloke to tell Danger he might be getting just a bit ahead of himself on the head wobble stakes.

Add in what TSR pointed out about the new culture, throw in the club's obvious media shutdown (which explains the lack of anything regarding Patrick's contract), garnish with a bit of player determination to stop underachieving, and I think you have the ingredients for the current situation.

FWIW Im pretty comfortable he's staying.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I would love to know what the crows are offering Paddy. 3 years at 1 Million a season? More? Less?

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Paddy has been fairly quiet this preseason. Fewer of the daily Advertiser spreads.
lol, just wait till Rucci gets going. He will be relentless in trying to derail the Crows by slipping Dangerfield and the unsigned contract into every article he writes about the Crows.

lol, just wait till Rucci gets going. He will be relentless in trying to derail the Crows by slipping Dangerfield and the unsigned contract into every article he writes about the Crows.

LOL:p

He will find a link about ASADA/Essendon and Danger's contract. Bookmark.

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

In the same way he so very correctly mentioned Tex linking up with Bernie in Victoria at season's end all last year.

His first article back would be about Danger leaving. Anything to burst any iota of positivity we've garnered this off season.
Lock it in. I'll put a hundred on it!

Ports growing injury list possibly poor performance in 2015 is indirectly proportional to Dangers contract discussion by Rucci.

Rucci will look stupid spending his time talking Dangers contract if Port go off the rails this season.

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ports growing injury list possibly poor performance in 2015 is indirectly proportional to Dangers contract discussion by Rucci.

Rucci will look stupid spending his time talking Dangers contract if Port go off the rails this season.

I think he's already calling for Hinkley and 'golden boy' Burgess head, isn't he?

Reckon we'll max out around $850k and 5 years. If it's a sticking point, 6 years shouldn't be out of the question. He'd also need to get his fair share of the extra promotion/marketing cash or whatever it's called.

I think the Crows will dig deep and hit $1m.

I say this because they need Danger more than Danger needs them. Danger the brand is far more valauble then just the player on the field, it tells the competition that we can retain top talent and sends a message we wont be raided anymore.

Mind you securing Danger will lead talks of Talia being the next target.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I think the Crows will dig deep and hit $1m.

I say this because they need Danger more than Danger needs them. Danger the brand is far more valauble then just the player on the field, it tells the competition that we can retain top talent and sends a message we wont be raided anymore.

Mind you securing Danger will lead talks of Talia being the next target.
Walsh wont pay a milliion, and there's a general trend away from such numbers (Boyd notwithstanding).

Interesting article on the subject here: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...stopped-paying-a-million-20150124-12xivs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back