NEAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour down at the Sharks is Brennan hasn't trained yet & the three big recruits are doing bike work ( nothing )
Being star struck for young players will only last so long

Looks like the Qld teams may drop off a fraction this year, I'm not sure how the Syd Uni boys are looking, but the ACT teams are finding it a struggle at the moment by all accounts.

Ainslie will be competitive with the addition of a few good players from Belco, but will probably only maintain last years list and be in the mix for a finals spot without being genuine contenders.

Eastlake had big upheaval, the Footy manager has been "found out" and a new role created to babysit him for the remainder of his 3 year contract. Football Chair sacked and a new Footy committee put in place because the old structure paid lip service to football - members rarely seen at games or functions, no long term plan or direction.

A new professional coach should see the Demons start to improve its standards to the level required, but they are still struggling to attract/retain players and coaches, apparently they have offered $15-20k to multiple assistant coaching candidates who have all turned it down due to the way previous people have been shafted by the club over the last decade.

Some key signings in their playing coach, Garlick (Syd Hills) and Dowdell ( ex-Adelaide Crow) should see them be much more competitive on the field, but time is ticking to see if they can get it right off the field and maintain their spot in the NEAFL.

Interesting to see how this comp goes over the next year or 2.

I think Ainslie will surprise as much as I hate to say it!! Have picked up some really good recruits and off the field have got it right with some quality assistant coaches coming in. Eastlake won't win a game and in my opinion wouldn't win the AFL Canberra comp with their current list.

Sydney Uni will be contenders picking up a few ex AFL listed players and not losing many.

I reckon the QLD sides won't be as dominant this season and all games will games will be competitive (unless you play Eastlake)

Jed Turner to Sydeny Uni - he was a quality tall for Aspley in 2014. Will be a very handy addition for the Uni boys I imagine too FF22.

Jed Turner to Sydeny Uni - he was a quality tall for Aspley in 2014. Will be a very handy addition for the Uni boys I imagine too FF22.

Agree "smy1305 Jed is a very big talent and he will be missed big time at the Hornets, has anyone heard if Austin Lucy (Aspley last two seasons) is playing with any Sydney club, obviously he is not with Sydney Uni - To date, but any of the other lower division clubs?

He would be a quality pick up for the only NSW Side in the NEAFL Competition being Sydney Uni IMO.

Agree "smy1305 Jed is a very big talent and he will be missed big time at the Hornets, has anyone heard if Austin Lucy (Aspley last two seasons) is playing with any Sydney club, obviously he is not with Sydney Uni - To date, but any of the other lower division clubs?

He would be a quality pick up for the only NSW Side in the NEAFL Competition being Sydney Uni IMO.

Going overseas so yet to commit fully

I think Ainslie will surprise as much as I hate to say it!! Have picked up some really good recruits and off the field have got it right with some quality assistant coaches coming in. Eastlake won't win a game and in my opinion wouldn't win the AFL Canberra comp with their current list.

Sydney Uni will be contenders picking up a few ex AFL listed players and not losing many.

I reckon the QLD sides won't be as dominant this season and all games will games will be competitive (unless you play Eastlake)

I agree FF22, Ainslie picked a few good local, Harper and Curtis are good gets.

I was chatting to a bloke that trained with Eastlake pre-Christmas, reckons they averaged about 15 blokes and facilities were worse than the Gungahlin Jets.

Off field the Easlkae guys have been busy, Steve Soulsby been relegated from Footy Manager to Bottle filler, with Keith Miller now running the footy dept with the head coach.

Footy board replaced with a much more active and interested Footy board, Chris Mahar booted from Footy Pres.

Still can't see them being too flash on field, maybe if the previous board showed some interest they may have retained a reasonable list and not churned through a dozen or so good coaches/assistants over the past 10 years.

I agree, QBN, Belco and Tugg DIv 1 side would beat Eastlakes NEAFL team comfortably.

Burkey must be laughing, just wondering how to spend his payout $$$$$.

Looks like the Qld teams may drop off a fraction this year, I'm not sure how the Syd Uni boys are looking, but the ACT teams are finding it a struggle at the moment by all accounts.

Ainslie will be competitive with the addition of a few good players from Belco, but will probably only maintain last years list and be in the mix for a finals spot without being genuine contenders.

Eastlake had big upheaval, the Footy manager has been "found out" and a new role created to babysit him for the remainder of his 3 year contract. Football Chair sacked and a new Footy committee put in place because the old structure paid lip service to football - members rarely seen at games or functions, no long term plan or direction.

A new professional coach should see the Demons start to improve its standards to the level required, but they are still struggling to attract/retain players and coaches, apparently they have offered $15-20k to multiple assistant coaching candidates who have all turned it down due to the way previous people have been shafted by the club over the last decade.

Some key signings in their playing coach, Garlick (Syd Hills) and Dowdell ( ex-Adelaide Crow) should see them be much more competitive on the field, but time is ticking to see if they can get it right off the field and maintain their spot in the NEAFL.

Interesting to see how this comp goes over the next year or 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi TigerTuff

Always interested to see when people use the term 'professional' when discussing new coaches

What would make the new coach anymore professional than the previous one at Eastlake ?

I spoke with an Ainslie FC person recently & as I understand it , the previous one was level 3 accredited, was on an AFL list for a few years at Carlton and had a very good reputation at Ainslie as an assistant/2s coach with some success??

The new coach has no experience but is all of sudden more professional - i dont get that?

Does being full time make you more professional ?

Garlick was offered $30k as a base payment - plus bonuses & others at our club were offered similar ( Emery etc..) Eastlake seem to think throwing $$$$ solve everthing but you need a good footy culture and good people at management level - feedback from our players are that their footy manager is a rabbit!!

The Ainslie person also told me that the new Eastlake coach has actually signed with Ainslie and indicated to Ainslie that he had no interest in coaching at all ?? Until Eastlake apporoached him with lots of $$$ ( over $100k apparently ), all of sudden he was a budding coach with a passion to develop players and coach??

Based on what I saw last year - their playing list is very poor and would need to improve 500% to even win a game this year

They were skinny, undeveloped kids most of them who looked totally out of their depth & the ones who werent have left apparently

Hi TigerTuff

Always interested to see when people use the term 'professional' when discussing new coaches

What would make the new coach anymore professional than the previous one at Eastlake ?

I spoke with an Ainslie FC person recently & as I understand it , the previous one was level 3 accredited, was on an AFL list for a few years at Carlton and had a very good reputation at Ainslie as an assistant/2s coach with some success??

The new coach has no experience but is all of sudden more professional - i dont get that?

Does being full time make you more professional ?

Garlick was offered $30k as a base payment - plus bonuses & others at our club were offered similar ( Emery etc..) Eastlake seem to think throwing $$$$ solve everthing but you need a good footy culture and good people at management level - feedback from our players are that their footy manager is a rabbit!!

The Ainslie person also told me that the new Eastlake coach has actually signed with Ainslie and indicated to Ainslie that he had no interest in coaching at all ?? Until Eastlake apporoached him with lots of $$$ ( over $100k apparently ), all of sudden he was a budding coach with a passion to develop players and coach??

Based on what I saw last year - their playing list is very poor and would need to improve 500% to even win a game this year

They were skinny, undeveloped kids most of them who looked totally out of their depth & the ones who werent have left apparently
Fair point ZZZ

I have no idea of the quality of the new guy at Eastlake and only heard good things about the last coach, I guess I was referring to the professional role they have implemented being a full time coach and with the change in personal and further investment in the Football dept! They should be better, those skinny kids you talk about will be a year older and some quality recruits.

Agree about the old FM, Soulsby, came from NT and a guy from AFLNT up there couldn't believe he got the job, apparently he just cut and paste the St Mary's Strat Plan and rolled it out at Eastlake, didn't even change the title "Good to Great" also tried to rollout the St Mary's game plan until he was pulled up by the coaches, classic stuff....

I still think they will improve and seem to finally be on the right track off the field, or I could be wrong and they might take their first wooden spoon since Jesus played HB for Jerusalem.

Hi TigerTuff

ZZZ - Unsure if your mail on Garlick is correct. His main reasons for moving were to be closer to his family who live in Tocumwal (ACT closer than Sydney) as well as to continue playing at that level. He hated Sydney Uni and Eastlake showed the most interest out of the ACT teams. No one at the Eagles can believe he went there though because he signed a new contract with them committing to play with them in Sydney. At worst, they think he would have been better off going to Ainslie however he must have realised that he wouldn't be guaranteed a game there. At best he is a tough tagger at NEAFL level. Looking at his numbers from last year he averaged low teens in possies although he likes to tackle. He wasn't in the best 15 players at the Eagles but then again he is only very young so there was no expectation on him to be in their best.

Ainslie have picked up a few including the Eagles ruckman from last year Luke Gemmill who should go ok for them. Not overly skilled but a quality ruckman who has a massive work rate and is very hard at it

Sydney Uni will be the best of the Eastern sides though. They continue to recruit highly talented players and not just those that have been mentioned in the media. And from my sources down there, Austin Lucy is a lock in and has trained every session. I wouldn't be surprised if Sydney Uni are in the Top 4 this year depending on how serious the AFL reserves sides take it.

Hi TigerTuff

We don't often get $$$ figures mentioned on this forum as to how much these guys are getting paid, so I was interested to see these numbers from ZZZ.
$30kpa sounds a lot for an average-minus NEAFL player or an average-plus one. And $100kpa sounds a lot for an untried coach in NEAFL. I suppose that some of their payment will be based on the skill-value, and they would also get a premium for the time lost from work/study, travel time and time away from home.

And it all sounds like a lot of money to have to find for a comp that hardly anyone south of the Tweed River cares about anyway...you'd think that the Boards of the Pokies clubs that bankroll NEAFL clubs must be asking whether the money is being wisely spent.

I happen to like the NEAFL but not enough to put money into it.

Can anyone throw some other $$$ numbers into this conversation ?

I'd really like to see Brennan do well at the Sharks. He was very average for us and his reputation took a hit as a result. Come on JARS!

We don't often get $$$ figures mentioned on this forum as to how much these guys are getting paid, so I was interested to see these numbers from ZZZ.
$30kpa sounds a lot for an average-minus NEAFL player or an average-plus one. And $100kpa sounds a lot for an untried coach in NEAFL. I suppose that some of their payment will be based on the skill-value, and they would also get a premium for the time lost from work/study, travel time and time away from home.

And it all sounds like a lot of money to have to find for a comp that hardly anyone south of the Tweed River cares about anyway...you'd think that the Boards of the Pokies clubs that bankroll NEAFL clubs must be asking whether the money is being wisely spent.

John Blair -60k

because it's all speculative . unless you have seen a contract you don't know

Well unless you have seen a contract we can speculate...

What would you think Blair would be on?

What about his assistants ?

What does it matter, to date he is worth his weight in gold - which is lots and lots of gold!!!!

You will get paid what your services are worth and to date the great JB is IMO very much underpaid - 2 years at the club with 1 x runner up and 1 x premiership, who else has a record like that, as for his assistants, Gold, Gold and more Gold, loyal servants of the game who love seeing the boys improve, all round a very stable club environment on the North side of Brisbane.

What does it matter, to date he is worth his weight in gold - which is lots and lots of gold!!!!

You will get paid what your services are worth and to date the great JB is IMO very much underpaid - 2 years at the club with 1 x runner up and 1 x premiership, who else has a record like that, as for his assistants, Gold, Gold and more Gold, loyal servants of the game who love seeing the boys improve, all round a very stable club environment on the North side of Brisbane.

Agree 100% players want to play for him and the blokes that obviously turned down to come to club have rocks in their head ( yagmoor )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back