Universal Love The 2014/15 Pre-season Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
358028-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I thought Keenan Ramsey had a ponytail when looking at this photo

Not so rare, although the 3rd hand would be.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Really hoping this guy turns out to be an absolute steal. Here's a question for you all, out of all the new rookies which one do you think has the best chance of making it onto the senior list?

Our 5 rookies are
Jack Osborne
Reilly O'Brien
Keenan Ramsay
Anthony Wilson
Jake Kelly
I'm not sure Osborne will make it past this season with all of the rucks we just drafted. Any of the 4 remaining players could well make it onto the senior list, but the 1 I'm hoping develops well this year is Wilson. If he can develop into an afl standard player, with that much speed, he will be fantastic for us & great to watch.

deeztreez

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not according to the Lancet ...
But this is not common knowledge amongst doctors either - they often believe the same myths.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/06/1091732056941.html?from=storylhs

It's a myth that the venom of the whitetail spider eats away the flesh of its victims, an Australian toxicologist said today.

White tail spider bites in fact caused little more than discomfort, clinical toxicologist Dr Geoffrey Isbister said.

"In 130 white tail spider bites we looked at, none of them caused flesh-eating or persistent ulcers," he told AAP.

"The myth of spiders causing ulcers and flesh-eating diseases is exactly that, a myth."

The commonly-held misconception could leave some patients with unhealed and potentially dangerous wounds, Dr Isbister said.

"There's no actual treatment for white tail spider bites so if the doctor believes that's the cause of the wound it doesn't get treated," he explained.

"Doctors need to find out what causes these ulcers, not just blame a spider for them because in some cases you'll miss something quite significant."

In research published in today's issue of the international medical journal The Lancet, Dr Isbister revealed that ulcers put down to spider bites had a range of other causes.

"We did a study in Newcastle where we looked at all the referrals over two years and the most common causes were different types of infections," he said.

"Golden staph is the most common but also fungal infections and some unusual immune conditions all cause these difficult-to-treat ulcers - in every case we found a cause other than spider bite."

One man referred to Dr Isbister and colleagues had an ulcer on his toe for two months which he and his doctors believed had been caused by a white tail spider bite.

"The surgeon had operated on it twice and he said he couldn't do anything about it," he said.

"We grew some bacteria off it and started him on the right antibiotics and it was gone in two or three days.

"In another case in Adelaide, there was a skin cancer that was missed for two or three years."

Funnelweb and redback spider bites were the only ones in Australia that needed medical attention, Dr Isbister said.

"In a study of 750 spider bites we showed that funnelweb bites were the most severe, but not very common, and redback spider bites were more common but not life-threatening," he said.

"If you've been bitten by a funnelweb spider, call an ambulance and go straight into hospital, but for redbacks we say if that pain's getting more severe and you want something done about it then go to hospital, but don't call an ambulance."

Thanks Sir David

image.jpg

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Our 5 rookies are
Jack Osborne
Reilly O'Brien
Keenan Ramsay
Anthony Wilson
Jake Kelly
I'm not sure Osborne will make it past this season with all of the rucks we just drafted. Any of the 4 remaining players could well make it onto the senior list, but the 1 I'm hoping develops well this year is Wilson. If he can develop into an afl standard player, with that much speed, he will be fantastic for us & great to watch.

Not to burst your bubble but I remember Phil Walsh alluding to Wilson still being very raw. Might take a while before we see him in the tri-colours. I hope he makes it though because we need more players with explosive pace.

From that list I'd say Jake Kelly is most likely to be promoted.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not to burst your bubble but I remember Phil Walsh alluding to Wilson still being very raw. Might take a while before we see him in the tri-colours. I hope he makes it though because we need more players with explosive pace.

They grabbed Wilson based on the fact that if this year he improves as much as he did last year, lots of clubs would be willing to draft him to their main list.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Bit of a no brainer really. He has been retained and has a yr on the others. However I am Keen to see how Ramsey goes Regarding the new rookies.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
They grabbed Wilson based on the fact that if this year he improves as much as he did last year, lots of clubs would be willing to draft him to their main list.

I'm just glad they are starting to identify speed as an issue. The new coach seems to understand recruiting based on needs which seems a hell of a lot better than loading up on slow inside mids.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Bubble hasn't been burst! I realise he is a long term project, out of the 5 on our rookie list I think he is the most unique & offers something we really need. Kelly has had an extra year so obviously he has the best chance in 2015 to be promoted.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
What do you guys think of Durdin? Obviously you are happy with Lever, but thought some might have some insight given he is a S.A boy.

Just signed a one year extension at North (having only trained for a couple of months).

I think he was pretty highly rated around here. Many had him listed as a preferred choice. I've only seen his highlight reel but he looks like a pretty well rounded player. He's got height, very mobile and agile for his size and an excellent contested grab.

Lever looks the goods too but picking a guy who just did a knee is pretty gutsy. It's certainly a high risk, high reward situation.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he was pretty highly rated around here. Many had him listed as a preferred choice. I've only seen his highlight reel but he looks like a pretty well rounded player. He's got height, very mobile and agile for his size and an excellent contested grab.

Lever looks the goods too but picking a guy who just did a knee is pretty gutsy. It's certainly a high risk, high reward situation.

Thanks for the response.

It worries me a bit that u would take a guy coming off a knee and not the local boy. Also saw some south Aussies say they were against taking him. Also freo passing on him.

Will be interesting to compare he and lever over the coming years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC
Durdin split opinion a bit, mainly because of his average Champs (which was no doubt hampered by his early season injury). Think the main worry was that his best footy was playing in the ruck, whereas he can't play there in the AFL. Perhaps a case of once bitten twice shy, having bombed with taking Sellar as a slider in '06 (and to a lesser extent McKernan in '08).

Very happy with us landing Lever, as we wouldn't have been in the ballpark had he not been coming off a knee reco, but hope Durdin progresses well as a KPD, I like his athleticism and the way he backs himself to take the grab.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks for the response.

It worries me a bit that u would take a guy coming off a knee and not the local boy. Also saw some south Aussies say they were against taking him. Also freo passing on him.

Will be interesting to compare he and lever over the coming years
Was a bit of a steal at pick 16, stick with him ..prob won't be ready as quickly as lever but potential for a jake Carlisle like ceiling with that height but those bigger guys can take longer

Jimmystephenson

Debutant
Jan 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was a bit of a steal at pick 16, stick with him ..prob won't be ready as quickly as lever but potential for a jake Carlisle like ceiling with that height but those bigger guys can take longer

Crows I think have decided to take the punt on a kid that was probably a top 3 pick without the knee.

Just gotta keep the fingers crossed the knee was a once-off and not a Daniel Menzel situation.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
What do you guys think of Durdin? Obviously you are happy with Lever, but thought some might have some insight given he is a S.A boy.

Just signed a one year extension at North (having only trained for a couple of months).
I don't want to shatter your dreams, but Ive always seen him as a guy whose best football was in the ruck. He is basically a guy who is a ruck man, but too short to ruck in the AFL so will try to learn CHB. Think James Sellar (but actually a bit better than that).
I was very relieved we didn't end up with him.
Sorry.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't want to shatter your dreams, but Ive always seen him as a guy whose best football was in the ruck. He is basically a guy who is a ruck man, but too short to ruck in the AFL so will try to learn CHB. Think James Sellar (but actually a bit better than that).
I was very relieved we didn't end up with him.
Sorry.

Thanks mate. Honest opinion is what i was after.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Couple of quick tidbits from the warmup this morning :
- i don't like Wilson's hands. Every take he let through to mark partially with his body
- tackle drill interesting. Tackler held a juggling ball in each hand so they couldnt grab and really had to wrap their opponent
- tex very comfortable leading and encouraging in drills
-the wife muttters under her breath when perving more than i do
- hendo looking strong esp through core
- the boys really got behind the bull pushing hard on a beep test
- andy o looking good

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Couple of quick tidbits from the warmup this morning :
- i don't like Wilson's hands. Every take he let through to mark partially with his body
- tackle drill interesting. Tackler held a juggling ball in each hand so they couldnt grab and really had to wrap their opponent
- tex very comfortable leading and encouraging in drills
-the wife muttters under her breath when perving more than i do
- hendo looking strong esp through core
- the boys really got behind the bull pushing hard on a beep test
- andy o looking good
Remember that, and use it wisely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back